Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions about Maynooth

• 19-06-2006 2:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

I'm scoping out a PhD there (here if you're reading this in Maynooth) and I was wondering what the on campus accommadation is like? Looking at the site there are three different places to live. Which of these is the best?

Moving on from places to sleep, what is Maynooth like for food? I saw a big Lidl and Aldi there the other day and there's an O'Brien's in the John Hume Building. Is there anywhere else to buy food? Is the college's own canteen any good?

And most importantly, how easy is it to get your laptop put on the college network? Do you have access to PubMed or do you need to use a library computer for that? Are many of the buildings wireless?

OK, that'll do for now. Any answers would be very much appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

John2 wrote:
    I'm scoping out a PhD there (here if you're reading this in Maynooth) and I was wondering what the on campus accommadation is like? Looking at the site there are three different places to live. Which of these is the best?

Moving on from places to sleep, what is Maynooth like for food? I saw a big Lidl and Aldi there the other day and there's an O'Brien's in the John Hume Building. Is there anywhere else to buy food? Is the college's own canteen any good?

And most importantly, how easy is it to get your laptop put on the college network? Do you have access to PubMed or do you need to use a library computer for that? Are many of the buildings wireless?

OK, that'll do for now. Any answers would be very much appreciated :)

MAynooth is grand to live in, good social life not sure if there's many on campus places given to post grads but the vilalge apartments (rye, hargadan etc) are the oldest, if you're in rye or the other on you'd be fine.

College canteen is no better/worse than any other canteen. you'll eat the food you prob won't enjoy it too much. O briens is also the same-overpriced. Aldi Lidl Dunnes Tesco and Superb Valuare all fine for food.

Depends on what department you're in for your laptop. If you're in the apartments on campus they have internet access all day. However a friend of mine is in the bio department and the college wouldn't let him connect his PC to the network. PUBmed is on all campus computers, as well as the ones in the apartments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Canteen is cheap and will keep you alive in moderate taste :D
    Dunnes is open 24 hours across the road and is a lifesaver.
    Theres the usual cafes and pubs with good food(g'wan lunch in the roost!) as well as a few pizza joints and some fast fooderies.

There will be some WiFi hotspots around college next year. The campus apartments have internet connections too. There are public access computer areas all over the place as well, not just the library.
    Social life is good, and accomodation is fine.
    There are a bunch of apartments and houses around town too that are reserved postgrad only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Thanks for the info folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

John 2, are you thinking about a PhD in Biology? I did a PhD and three-year post-doc with the Biology Department in NUIM. PM me if you have any questions regarding facilities, equipment and specialty technicians.

Let me know who you are thinking of working for as believe me that is a very important point to consider.

Advertisement