Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cartell.ie:- Not happy!!!

Options
  • 19-06-2006 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

I used this website a few weeks ago, & thought god this is good, bout time we had something like this.

Went to use it this morning again & surprise surprise:- although they still advertise the free report as being available, when you enter the reg number, the report becomes unavailable, & if you want any info, you've to pay €25.

Do you think that's right, that they should charge a minimum of €25 for any query on any car, or like me, are you a little p!ssed off?

I mean, if it's not free anymore, that's fine:- state as much instead of advertising it as free & then removing the option.

Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

1 star report - Vehicle Description -> Still free.....

2 star and above you have to pay for. Seems fair to me, the owners have got to make a living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Email them top let them know, if they don't change report them for using false advertising :)

...and no, but it's the internet & people lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Peace wrote:
    1 star report - Vehicle Description -> Still free.....

2 star and above you have to pay for. Seems fair to me, the owners have got to make a living.

But that's my point Peace:- the 1 star report isn't available.

It's advertised on the home page, but if you enter a reg no for the 1 start report, hit enter, it moves to the next page where you then only have the option to pick the 2, 3, or 4 star report.

I.e. you CANNOT choose the 1 star report.

It's this that I'm complaining about, not the fact that the 2 star is €25, because I agree, they have to make a living, but I'm not about to pay €25 each for 5 different cars that I'm interested in buying, if you know what I mean.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

1 star work for me. But the info that they give is crap. All it confirms is the make of car

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

BoozyBabe, when you hit Get Report what does it say above the data about the reg you just entered...?

adam

• Advertisement

This is what I get when I enter the reg.

Before today, when I did this, there'd be another button (which is now missing) saying 1 star report (beside the other 3 buttons)

You'd click this again, it'd make you enter personal details (but you didn't have to enter credit card details)

It's say, that charge for this report is €0, & then there was another button to proceed.

It'd tell you it'd take a few minutes to process as it was creating several reports & eventually the report would be displayed on screen.

But as you can see now, I've no option to go any further than the screen attched below, unless I pay €25

I can't remember the exact details the report gave me, but these where examples:- the engine size, number of doors, colour, how many previous owners, if it had been a taxi, if it was originally registered in the UK, etc, etc, etc.

This all was free!! I guess now they've decided they're going to charge for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

how many searches did you do?
    Is it possible there is a limit to the number of free searches you can run?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The 2 star report was only free for one day. This was done to advertise/promote the site, normal charge is 25 euros.

The 1 star report that is still free just gives the make and model. The 1 star report never gave any more than this. If you were getting any more than that before you were getting the 2 star report.

1st thing this morning would only have been the 4th search.
    Plus, the button is being hidden before you'd have to enter any personal details, so they don't know it's the same person.

Plus I tried it from a different IP address, so it's not that either

BrianD3 wrote:
    The 2 star report was only free for one day. This was done to advertise/promote the site, normal charge is 25 euros.

Very good,

That's what I was beginning to suspect.

In that case then:- the info I received in the 2 star report (though handy for sure) is defo not worth €25.

But that's just my opinion.

Did anyone else think it was worth €25????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Nope, it's definitely not worth €25 a pop. A tenner maybe.

I recently bought a car, and in doing so, I looked seriously at 3 different cars. No way would I have paid €75 for three different reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

not a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

dudara wrote:
    Nope, it's definitely not worth €25 a pop. A tenner maybe.

I recently bought a car, and in doing so, I looked seriously at 3 different cars. No way would I have paid €75 for three different reports.

I think the idea is that you only run the report when you have decided to buy the car subject to the report being OK. I've imported a few cars from the UK, and I would never run a HPI check until I had decided to buy the car, agreed a price with the vendor, etc.

In case any of ye are considering paying €25 to get a report on a car, but are unsure as to what details you'll get, here's a copy of the 2 Star Report.

I really don't think it's worth €25, but maybe that's just me.

(Please note, the report says it was free, but that was because I got it during a promotion period.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

was that car scrapped cos it says so in the report

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

A Fiesta with no doors or axles!

That'd be worth a few quid!

I don't think a report with that level of detail is worth even close to €25. If I was changing my car I would probably look at at least 4 cars before settling on one. To use this service would cost €100 and still wouldn't give me much info that would be really useful.

Will the more expensive reports give info like whether the car was involved in a crash or if there is outstanding credit on the vehicle?

Yea, that was my 1st car.
    I'm sure it would've been scrapped by now.

I've no idea about the more expensive reports, because I'm not about to pay for one to find out.
    I'd imagine they're as much value for money as the 2Star is. Infact, I'd imagine they're a complete rip off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I would pay €25 to find out that the car I am being sold was once imported then scrapped!

I am guessing that there is very little details on that report because it was scrapped.

Does the 2star (or 3star or 4) give the name of the current owner? (just thinking of data protection, etc)

I am guessing that there is very little details on that report because it was scrapped.

You'd be wrong!!!!

I checked that car, out of curiosity, because I had owned it & I wanted to know what happened to it.

It actually has more details than any of the other reports I ran, that's why I posted up this one. (it had been imported, so it gave the details of it also)

I did a check on another car that I sold about 6 months ago.
    The report doesn't even have this recorded.
    I.e., the last sale date it lists is when I bought the car, 3 years ago, plus it's number of previous owners is therefore out by 1.

I did checks on a few cars I was thinking of buying.
    I can post one of them if you want, but trust me, you will find no more details on them than on the report I did post.

...pardon me, my mistake. I looked again, and there is quite some detail there. I was mislead by the lack of NCT / Logbook / Chasis number at the top of the report.... but this seems to be supplied by you to get the report? I see Log no and chasis no later in the report. But the 0 doors and 0 axles is funny, eh?

I still think €25 is good if you are going to buy the car... but maybe not worht while paying it for every car you are looking at.... best leave it as the last hurdle.

• Advertisement

No, all you enter to get the report is the registration number

Has anyone gotten the €40 report?
    I would be very interested to know what Financial Information they are privy to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

From the Cartell website.....

"3. Disclaimer of Warranties.

The Site is provided by the Company on an “as is” and on an “as available” basis. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, the Company makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, regarding the use or the results of the Service, the Content or the Materials in terms of its correctness, accuracy, reliability, or otherwise.

The Company shall have no liability for any interruptions in the use of the Site.

The Company disclaims all warranties with regard to the information provided, including the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement.

The Company does not warrant that the Site will operate error-free or that the Site and its server are free of computer viruses and other harmful elements. If as a result of your use of the Site or it’s Content, there is a need for servicing or replacing equipment or data, the Company assumes no responsibility whatsoever for those costs."

So it will not stand over the information provided. What is the point then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Anyone having trouble with that site today? It seems to not like firefox. It was giving me errors (unhandled expections). Teh fockin thing!?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but does anyone knows how they get this data and how to get one's data removed from their database?
    I emailed them and they don't want to remove it, because they got it from some publicly available source.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

mdebets wrote:
    Sorry for hijacking this thread, but does anyone knows how they get this data and how to get one's data removed from their database?
    I emailed them and they don't want to remove it, because they got it from some publicly available source.

Ask them where did they get your info. from.

Mention data protection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'd imagine they would argue that the data relating to your car doesn't belong to you, but to the State. If it's personal data you want removed, you may have a claim under the Data Protection Act; I'd suggest contacting the Commissioner's office and explaining your situation to them to see what can be done. Please report back when you're done, I'd be interested in the outcome.

adam

mdebets wrote:

Why do you want your data removed?
    Is there something V dodgy about your car(s) that you don't want prospective buyers to know about?
    (Not that it gives much info anyway)

Like it doesn't disclose personal details.

Their reports are too expensive, imo, but if everyone could phone up & say remove me from your db, then what use would the site be to anyone if 1/2 the reg no's you enter have no data on them??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

mdebets wrote:

You cant have your information removed from their database as it is from the National Vehicle and Drivers file, a publicly accessible source. There is no personal information which is covered by the data protection act, so you cant even make that claim unfortunately.

What information do you think you have the right to hide about the car you currently own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

BoozyBabe wrote:
    No, all you enter to get the report is the registration number

From what I can see, you can also enter Chassis Number and NCT Cert Number to have them verified if you have them.

Advertisement