Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No Timing Belt ?

Options
  • 19-06-2006 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭

Dropped in my car for a service this morning and asked the mechanic if he reckoned the timing belt needed changing (2002 48K miles 8V 1.4L Fabia).

To my suprise he said no, this model of Fabia doesnt even have a timing belt.

Am a bit suprised by this, cant find anything on google to confirm this, anyone here able to confirm that this is true ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I'm guessing he said it has a chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

yeah it probably has a chain,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Maybe it does, he didn't qualify it, just said it has no timing belt!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Or gears!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Yeah, they changed from timing belts from 2000 on, I think, because they were unreliable on the older models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

It has to have one or the other (belt or chain).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are 3 different 1.4 litre engines available in the Fabia afaik.
    • The 1.4 litre 8 valve MPi which is a bored out version of the old Skoda 1.3 litre from the old Felicia.
    • There is a 1.4 litre 16 valve 75bhp version from the Golf.
    • There is also a 1.4 litre 16 valve 100bhp version from the Polo.
    Some of these could have a timing belt and the others may have a timing chain. The timing chain should be good for at least 100k miles.

If you are not sure ring your local Skoda dealer and they should be able to tell you straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

bazz26 wrote:
    • The 1.4 litre 8 valve MPi which is a bored out version of the old Skoda 1.3 litre from the old Felicia.
    Some of these could have a timing belt and the others may have a timing chain. The timing chain should be good for at least 100k miles.

If you are not sure ring your local Skoda dealer and they should be able to tell you straight away.

Thanks bazz26, that makes sense and a worry off my mind, car will be long sold before it reaches 100k at the rate i'm going (about 8k per year currently).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

My mother has the 1.4 Mpi - it has a timing chain, Skoda dealer indicated that they're not normally changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

bazz26 wrote:

With normal oil changes, etc shoudl be good for the life of the engine or maybe 500Kmls. 180K on truck engine chain and steady as a rock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yup, the timing chain would be in it!!! Timing chains arew supposed to be changed at 150,000 Miles!!! But mechanics recon they never need changing!!

Advertisement