Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derailleur/groupset/headset advice needed

Options
  • 19-06-2006 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Folks
    Some advice required here... Currently have a Specialized Sirrus Sport with Shimano Tiagra and stock groupset/headset. However I'm sick to death of gear slippage issues that I can't trace down - not sure if the chain is stretched, teeth worn or derailleur badly adjusted. Net result is hacked ankles when the chain slips at the wrong time. I'm very hard on gears with lots of stop/start city riding and have the legs to create serious torque (I'm also a heavy bastid). I also tend to wear out the crank a lot...

Can anyone recommend a good setup (with decent high ratios - mtb ratios no good to me!) that will last the pace - I don't mind spending a few quid if the bike goes well at the end of the day!
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

How bizarre, that's pretty much my quandry du jour also.

My research seems to suggest Shimano 105, but i'm still unsure as to whether this is a good idea or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

your cassette or freewheel could be gone it mite not be the derailleur at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

your cassette or freewheel could be gone it mite not be the derailleur at all.

True'nuff but the that's way too technical for me to have a go at - there be monsters etc!

I thought it might be the cassette, dropped it into Cycleways, but the chap there said there was nothing wrong - he said he test rode it - just needed adjustment - €18 please - problem returned halfway home... I don't think he had the legs to test it tbh - his feet wouldn't a reached the pedals!

Further investigation is required - I mean the cassette looks ok, I cleaned and regreased it (er, without actually taking it apart...) but still the drivetrain slips like buggery... :(

Thanks for the suggestion tho'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

If you want to test for chain stretch, get a 12inch ruler. Measure from centre of the pin in one link and the pin on the 12th link from that should line up with the 12inch mark. I think if it's 12 1/8 inchs or more then it's rightly fecked and your chainrings etc will also need changing.

Edit: Oh yeah, I suppose this should be done while applying tension to the chain - ie get someone to push the crank forward while holding the back wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

milod wrote:
    True'nuff but the that's way too technical for me to have a go at - there be monsters etc!

I thought it might be the cassette, dropped it into Cycleways, but the chap there said there was nothing wrong - he said he test rode it - just needed adjustment - €18 please - problem returned halfway home... I don't think he had the legs to test it tbh - his feet wouldn't a reached the pedals!

Further investigation is required - I mean the cassette looks ok, I cleaned and regreased it (er, without actually taking it apart...) but still the drivetrain slips like buggery... :(

Thanks for the suggestion tho'

yours screws on??? or does it slide on with the bottom two cogs locking inplace. just take it to a bike shop and dont leave till its fixed, let them take it in and tell them to find the prob. to fix cassette ya need to remove it from bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

milod wrote:
    I use Little Sport in Fairview (at the bottom of the pedestrian bridge). Ph 833-2405. They've done a good bit of work over the last few years on my Specialized Rockhopper.

They recently replaced the chain, cassette and crank. I went in complaining of chain slippage when I pressed hard on the pedals (sounding familiar?). They guy showed me my very worn cassette and crank.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Sounds like a knackered cassette/chain as mentioned previously. Any idea how many kilometres you've put on it?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Mucco wrote:
    Sounds like a knackered cassette/chain as mentioned previously. Any idea how many kilometres you've put on it?

M

Yeah. I'm coming to the conclusion it's general wear and tear - I've put about 2500km on the current setup - 70% city/urban commute 30% road/touring but I've a feeling the chain was replaced at some stage when I left it in for a service...

Thx guys...

Advertisement