Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE One Live Streaming

• 19-06-2006 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭

Last Friday, RTE One broadcasted the Charlie Haughey funeral live over the Internet. A colleague in work left their browser on and this morning it was still working. However, they closed the link and now cannot find the url to re-view live TV. Does anyone know the URL or more specifically, a URL for live RTE Two?

Cormac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭tvbrat

championc wrote:
    Last Friday, RTE One broadcasted the Charlie Haughey funeral live over the Internet. A colleague in work left their browser on and this morning it was still working. However, they closed the link and now cannot find the url to re-view live TV. Does anyone know the URL or more specifically, a URL for live RTE Two?

Cormac

Hi Cormac
    not sure if this is what your looking for
    its coverage of the funeral

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0616/newsspecial.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I don't think they transmit by web live generally. The Funeral was a special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I think your looking for the Windows media stream? They where using it instead of the usual real one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

I came across this on Friday afternoon and was able to watch live RTÉ One until 6.20pm when I left the office. I did save the URL to a playlist, but the company I work for purges Windows Media playlists overnight so I wasn't able to get the stream today.

I wouldn't be surprised if RTÉ do stream RTE One and RTE Two but don't publicise the URL.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

The person who had it this morning is fairly sure that it was this mornings tv that was playing and not Fridays' looping

Cormac

• Advertisement

Like I said, I would expect RTE to do a live stream of RTE One and RTE Two for internal use, however it would be easier to discover the third secret of Fatima than to get the URL...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

I bookmarked it and it was showing live programs the next morning,
    but I checked it just now and it's no longer valid..
    I was hoping the link would stay live, as I live
    abroad and get no Irish TV :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think it was provided by HEAnet as RTE does not have enough bandwidth for "popular" live streaming.

watty wrote:
    I think it was provided by HEAnet as RTE does not have enough bandwidth for "popular" live streaming.

Yeah it was streaming from heanet...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I can assure you there is no 'secret' live RTE internet feeds, internally or externally. The funeral was a one off with Heanet, and the encoder doing the job is no longer active.

Watch this space though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

RTÉ do have plans for a Channel 4/TG4esque IP restricted simulcast streaming service for RTÉ 1 & 2 in the pipeline if I'm not mistaken..

If anyone knows more, please do post.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Here's some clues as to RTE's short term plans:

RTE have become members of INEX.
    RTE are obliged to simultaneously stream live on the internet any Champions League matches that go out on TV, starting this season.

At the moment, there are no other concrete plans, but it's safe to say that as Internet rights become available for other events, and bandwidth restrictions are removed, you'll probably see more live events, or on going live simulcasts (current affairs output is obviously prime candidate).

That's good news..
    Some current affairs programs like primetime are available but not live.
    I'd love to see some home-made productions been streamed live..
    I think movies cause a licensing problem, but I guess most remote Irish
    people are not interested in viewing movies over the internet.

HD

I'd certainly welcome live streaming of RTÉ One and Two. I wouldn't be that bothered if imported programmes or movies weren't streamed as my interest would be in watching home-produced stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Isn't it amazing - living in Ireland we see RTE1 and RTE2 as crap but when you live or are abroad, you can't get enough of the "auld sod" especially when you only have BBC World or Sky News which won't have an ounce of Irish news unless it's something major or else something relating to Northern Ireland.

C

Absolutely - when I lived in Ireland I regarded RTÉ as a bit amateurish and dull, compared with the BBC and ITV.

In some respects that's still true, but in other respects I've come to realise that RTÉ and TG4 make pretty good use of their resources and manage to produce a very high proportion of home produced programmes, far higher than most other European broadcasters of a similar size.

RTÉ's sports coverage, drama and documentary output are extremely professional and certainly are up to the standards we see elsewhere. Also, from an ex-pat POV, it would be great to be able to keep up with what's happening at home. To an extent we get that with RTÉ Radio, as RTÉ are far sighted enough to stream the radio services and provide them on satellite.

If only they could take the next logical step and do the same with TV. It is scandalous that the only steps RTÉ have taken publically with an external Irish satellite TV service was to go out of their way to shut the only one down. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

On another thread on another forum on boards.ie, there is a lot of knocking of what RTÉ do....

I always think of it as a whole a decent enough outfit. Not perfect by any means, for a lot of the reason rlogue and others have said, but on the whole, in such a competative marketplace, they are doing some things right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PavleM

spockety wrote:
    Here's some clues as to RTE's short term plans:
    RTE have become members of INEX.
    RTE are obliged to simultaneously stream live on the internet any Champions League matches that go out on TV, starting this season.
    Hello,

Could anyone tell me if RTE will, then, stream tonight's Cork City - Red Star game (CL qualifier), and if possible direct me to the appropriate website (I checked out www.rte.ie/tv, but no mention of streaming there)?

Regards,
    Pavle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

afaik RTE's contract with UEFA is for the Champions League proper, not the qualifying rounds. If they're showing qualifying round matches they negotiate the rights individually with the clubs involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Correct^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 desigujju1

RTE One Live Streaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

desigujju1 wrote: »
    RTE One Live Streaming[/b]

Had a look at this site, it certainly doesn't look legal, but I could be wrong.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Legal or not, we don't drag up ten year old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement