Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever got compensation from Ryanair for cancelled flight?

Options
  • 19-06-2006 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

My flight to Gatwick was cancelled a few weeks ago . I was told at Customer Service that it was because another plane had technical difficulties and it meant that it couldn't be used for my flight and 2 others. She told me I would be entitled to compensation and gave me a few sheets of paper detailing what to do. It looked like I was entitled to €250 plus my unused flight portion back. I have just received an email from Ryanair refunding me my flight monies but refusing the compensation saying

" ......... there are rare occasions such as political instability, adverse weather condition, security risks, unexpected flight safety problems and strikes that affect the operation of an operating air carrier. We sincerely regret that your flight was one of these rare flights disrupted.

As your flight disruption was outside the control of the airline we regret to advise that no compensation is due. Should you have incurred any additional expenses please contact your travel insurance to initiate a claim."

Has anyone else been in this situation where you are told one thing at the customer service desk (problem not with my flight but a knock on problem from a previous flight) and then another from the Ryanair Customer Services dept?

Would love to know if it is worth fighting (I'm out of pocket as had to pay €50 to fly to Heathrow plus travelling costs the other end to get to where I was going) or is my case dead in the water!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

there was an EU directive brought in about this as far as i recall , the number you need to ring for all information is a UK number is 0080067891011 they'll sort ye out , then get back onto Ryanair they should change their tune

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

that is an international freefone number by the way, and is free to call from anywhere .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

you are entitled to the €250. The European Consumer Centre in Dublin says you should contact the Aviation Regulator. Further info here:

http://www.aviationreg.ie/Air_Passenger_Rights_HomePage.HTML

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

Thanks guys - I'll let you know how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

I may have misunderstood this but many people spoke about the new protections as being kind of useless for most people. Effectively you are only due the compensation if the airline actually bumps you or decide something that puts you out. THings outside of their control are not payable e.g. storms, strikes etc...

As in the bit they quoted you states safety is a valid reason for a delay and no compensation is payable. I actually think they are quoting the EU law to you.

That is at least how I understand the compensation clause. I'm sure people will disagree with the principle but it seems fair to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/air/rules/rights/index_en.htm

You might be entitled to you 50 quid anyway, depending on how long you were delayed:

While the old legislation did not cover cancelled flights,
    the new legislation gives rights to passengers whose
    flights are cancelled. When the reason for the cancellation
    is within the airline’s control, passengers must be
    paid compensation on the same basis as for denied
    boarding, unless the airline has given them at least two
    weeks’ notice of the cancellation or has provided
    alternative flights close to the original timing.
    If the cancellation, whatever the cause, delays passengers
    five hours or more, they are also entitled to a
    refund of their ticket (plus a flight back to their original
    point of departure if continuing the journey is no
    longer worthwhile) or an alternative flight to continue
    their journey.
    Furthermore, the airline must supply
    meals and refreshments, and accommodation if an
    overnight stay is required.

Advertisement