Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler grant

Options
  • 19-06-2006 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend said she saw an ad in the paper saying dublin city council were giving €500 grants to anyone replacing a 7-10 year old gas boiler with a more efficient new one.

We replaced our 7 year old gas boiler a while back and actually still have the old one sitting in the shed. Has anyone obtained this grant or have the relevant contact details?

Wonder if we can qualify retrospectively given we still have the old boiler?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

My girlfriend said she saw an ad in the paper saying dublin city council were giving €500 grants to anyone replacing a 7-10 year old gas boiler with a more efficient new one.

We replaced our 7 year old gas boiler a while back and actually still have the old one sitting in the shed. Has anyone obtained this grant or have the relevant contact details?

Wonder if we can qualify retrospectively given we still have the old boiler?

I will double check for you ,but I'd presume the boiler they would be talking about is a Condensing boiler.
    A condensing boiler recycles condense of fumes so there is maximum effeciency.
    These boilers have two small exit pipes on the exterior wall
    I haven't heard of the council handing out grants to people like that ,but the condensing boiler is a hell of a lot dearer than your standard boiler, so you still would have probably paid more than you have.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

thanks - I asked her did it mention anything about it having to be a condensing boiler and she said she didnt think so.

Due to the ignorance of our plumber we were talked into going with a normal gas boiler, but in hindsight I'd definitely go for a condensing boiler if I was to choose it again - with energy costs spiralling they will save a fortune over their lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

If you want to save money ,without spending too much.

Theres a valve that myson do ,A manual cylinder thermostat.
    It is non electrical and shuts off the water supply when it's reached it's temp.
    They cost about 80 or 90 euros, but if you are ever getting anything done on the heating again ,stick one of those on.

You would save yourself some money that way ,especially during the summer.

The only pipework involved is putting in a bypass with the valve ,
    Worth considering as a lot of the time there is excess heat loss at the cylinder.

All new boilers have higher effeciencies than ones of 5 years or more.

Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lovebobdylan

As far as I know the rules keep changing, grants are available to cover the cost of boiler replacement but this in reality covers the costs of upgrading to a condensing system.

The boiler grants in my experience are for about €750 but cannot be applied for after you've had the work carried out as eligibility criteria requires a technical assessment.

An SEI registered plumber can help, or you can go to http://www.sei.ie/Grants/CHP/How_to_Apply/.

Obviously changing the boiler will bring savings from heating bills and if your thinking of replacing the boiler the grant will take the sting out of the cost.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement