Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Waiting on change of ownership

Options
  • 19-06-2006 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi guys,i bought a car 5 weeks ago from a finanace company that reposses cars,and im still waiting on the change of ownership form from the tax office.I've rang the motor tax place in shannon and they said they havent recieved anything about it yet.Has anyone any experience with waiting this long for their tax to be changed over,Im worried incase something dodgy is going on somewhere..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

shellie11 wrote:
    Hi guys,i bought a car 5 weeks ago from a finanace company that reposses cars,and im still waiting on the change of ownership form from the tax office.I've rang the motor tax place in shannon and they said they havent recieved anything about it yet.Has anyone any experience with waiting this long for their tax to be changed over,Im worried incase something dodgy is going on somewhere..

If they dont send in the form, you can send a declaration to Shannon that you are the legal owner of the car. It needs to be signed by a solicitor, and a garage has to verify the chassis number. They will then issue you with the VLC

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭shellie11

zuutroy wrote:
    If they dont send in the form, you can send a declaration to Shannon that you are the legal owner of the car. It needs to be signed by a solicitor, and a garage has to verify the chassis number. They will then issue you with the VLC

Oh really i didnt know that, thats great thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Is this declaration a form or is it created by the solitictor?
    I'm in a similiar position, waiting 4 months for a registration cert for a motorbike. :rolleyes:

BigCon wrote:
    I'm in a similiar position, waiting 4 months for a registration cert for a motorbike. :rolleyes:
    OMG :eek: i taught i was bad waiting 5 weeks,and if the cops stop me they wont give a sh*te as far as there concerned you should have tax or else not drive the car so im fu*ked,and the nct has to be done but i cant get that done until i have the tax ,and i have my driving test today but im doing that in my old car cos that has nct and tax,Its a joke to be honest having to wait this long :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

BigCon wrote:

They send it to you....you complete it with solicitor/garage and then send it back. Be warned, most garages are unwilling to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I was in the same boat too, bought a car from a garage who were lazy about sending the registration details to shannon, meanwhile the local gardaí were stamping on me for motor tax :/

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

I sent mine in via Registered post 2 weeks ago, it arrived back on friday with the details updated correctley.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

shellie11 wrote:

Chances are the finance company didn't get the vehicle registration form back from the previous owner when the car was repossesed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

Same thing happened me with a member on here - never sent away the Change of Ownership when I bought a car off him. Nice way to act the prick if you dont mind me saying so. I arsed around for a while and drove without tax for a while but here's what to do and do it now

Ask the Dept in shannon for the declaration form, you fill it out(you'll need the sellers name and address (available from the Dept) get a garage to stamp it(most will do it fine, but they'll rob you by charging bout €15 for 10 seconds work), then go to your nearest couthouse(easier and cheaper than solicitor) and ask for the commisioner of oaths. they'll charge you €10 for signing it. make sure they stamp it same with the garage. after you post it off you'll have the log book in about 5 working days

BTW - The car does not need to be taxed to get NCT'd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Happened me with a motorbike too. What really warmed me to the biddies in Shannon was; it turned out that the name on the log book I sent them was not the registered owner but had owned the bike a few years ago, so they just binned my application and never gave me any hint that something was amiss until I rang them.

I got onto a Garda friend who got me the last know owner's name and address. When I tried to contact him I was told his family hadn't seen him in two years and didn't know where he was. Had to get an affadavit witnessed by a solicitor (only cost €10 there btw) and send it off to Shannon and finally got the bike registered in my name just under a year after buying it. Phew.

The moral: Keep on the phone to Shannon. Their turnaround is usually less than a fortnight. If it's more than a month, something's wrong.

• Advertisement

The moral: Keep on the phone to Shannon. Their turnaround is usually less than a fortnight. If it's more than a month, something's wrong.[/QUOTE]

yeh well it'll be 5 weeks on saturday that i have the car,so im getting worried,But when i rang shannon they hade a recorded message saying anything recieved on 30th may is been processes now,so maybe there a bit behind up there.

Advertisement