Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wigan

Options
  • 19-06-2006 12:32pm

Can Wigan stay up?!! Good win last night will hopefully be the start of the comeback? would brugby league in england be the same without em'?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I hate to say it as a Wigan fan, but it's unlikely.

They've had some shocking displays over this and last season in particular and perhaps a spell out of Super League might be no harm. It's some decline though from the days when they were so good/popular that you could buy their jerseys in Marathon Sports in Dublin!

There was an article on the BBC website saying that the owner denies looking to bail them out of relegation by paying another team to stay down. It'd be terrible if that's what he did, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

I hate to say it as a Wigan fan, but it's unlikely.

They've had some shocking displays over this and last season in particular and perhaps a spell out of Super League might be no harm. It's some decline though from the days when they were so good/popular that you could buy their jerseys in Marathon Sports in Dublin!

There was an article on the BBC website saying that the owner denies looking to bail them out of relegation by paying another team to stay down. It'd be terrible if that's what he did, IMHO.

As a RL fan it would be a big blow for Super League to see Wigan go down.

As a Leeds fan that started watching the Loiners from the South Stand in the early 90's I would be delighted. Their arrogance as the 'unbeatable' team was intolerable during the dark days of Leeds RL. One of the best days of my life was watching Leeds beat the Pie-Eaters just before they had to catch a plane to London for the BBC Sports Personality Team award for winng the League 7 years in a row (afair).

All-inall I hope they stay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

That's an interesting perspective alright...

I remember that match and watching the Sports Personality of the Year awards show later. They all looked like pit-bulls licking pi$$ off a nettle (my favourite northen insult!).

I don't think it's a big blow. There's nothing worse than watching really weak teams in super league (or any sport, for that matter) getting trounced in one-sided games. Unfortunately, lately that's what Wigan have been giving us. A spell out of Super League might give them something to fight for and strength for coming seasons. Staying up only prolongs the inevitable.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love them to stay up, but only if they are competitive. Nothing worse than watching your team lose week after week.

Mike thats a bit harsh i think - 'really weak team' etc. Wigan are obviously poor this season but its far from being trounced every week - a few bad results against big sides yes but there has been maybe 2 or 3 trouncings all season .Next year Barret has signed, Phil bailey has signed, fielden and newton will be signing (mark my words) and wigan will be very competative with noble at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Can Wigan stay up?QUOTE]

Coaxing injury crocked Kris Radlinski out of retirement shows us how desperate they are for meaningful personnel. I dont think so but i'd like them to stay up.

I can see them stay up because of what mikedragon32 mentioned earlier. I believe this was done a couple of years ago to much fury in the zurich premiership rugby union. The promoted team made up some excuse like 'our stadium isnt compatible' or something but the cash offered was the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

The 'buying ourselves out of trouble' has begun. Nice win last night.

The 'buying ourselves out of trouble' has begun. Nice win last night.

Aye, bout time we started splashing out again. The tide has turned it seems only 4 points in it now.
    As far as Radlinski is concerned, its players with heart like that, that are the reason I love league so much.
    Seu Seu has just retired also, a dude who played through the pain barrier for wigan for the last 2 years. He has retired so fielden can come in and play, great commitment to the cause and a legend now in wigan

Advertisement