Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Line Setup Charge

• 19-06-2006 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi there,

I'm looking to get Smart Telecom Broadband setup in our appartment.
    I know it's a Smart area as the neighbours have just installed it..

problem is.. we dont have a phone line as yet..

I rang smart and they tried to check it on their system
    Girl said they had appt x and z but not appartment y (ours).
    If they had it on our system, they could've installed a line for free..

Apparantly we now have to get eircom to install the line at a cost of
    around €121 PLUS first months line rental..

Does anyone know of a way around this cost or a cheaper way of getting setup with Smart?

Many thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Ring the Dept of (Non) Communications and ask them why they haven't yet tackled this problem. Love to hear the answer to that one.

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Hi Valentino,

I've ordered a line from eircom a couple of times and never paid the connection fee. Here's how I did it.....

First, check the eircom website for new line connection promotions when you order online, they often have free connection offers. These offers often have "conditions" attached (i.e. line work is/isn't in place or first time connections only etc... etc...) In my experience the conditions are flexible and eircom seem to rely on what you tell them ;)

Even after availing of the free connection offer eircom still send an initial bill with the charge; I simply cross it out and write "Free connection Offer Applies" and pay the correct amount.

I hope this helps....

Good luck. (I'm with Smart now; I love it, it's well worth the effort to connect.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Free connection from mid may to mid august if the line is there in the premises but GET your account number as you sign up and tell them you own the gaff . Then ring smart and give them the phone number and the account number

see

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/internet_special_offer.pdf

its not free if they have to run a cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

As far as i know you u do have to go through eircom for this, as even with their monopoly gone they still are the primary owners of the lines etc ( contraditory i know ! ) ....

I also use smart now and think the same as above ...ie: they are a very good option :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

Ring the Dept of (Non) Communications and ask them why they haven't yet tackled this problem. Love to hear the answer to that one.

MC

well if u r serious about it u could ask Comreg.ie , ( watchdogs )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

It is Free ...providing NO technician has to call to your house, i have just got a 2nd line installed, and from Eircoms web page , it says that it is FREE, but they charged me 120euro.... i queried this with Eircom, and they siad once a technician is sent oit the 120euro charge is applied!!

cramp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 valentino

Ok, have made a bit of progress on this..

Saw the promotion (cheers spongebob) so called em up and
    adopted the line that I'm definitely going with eircom broadband..

Girl was immediately way more helpful..

I was told this time that the *usual* 'activation' charge was €49
    and €24 if it had been previously activated and subsequently disconnected..

This is already better!

What she said was i could 'activate' the line by tomorrow morning (Tues) and I'd need to wait till Wed to order eircom broadband..

Question is:

a. At what stage do you think i can get my account number off them
    b. Will they still try and charge me line rental for first month?
    c. If i cant get free connection / account # and call smart do you think I can still get the line activated?

Thanks for all your help..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

they told me I need to pay the full whack, they sent me a contract and stuff there with 180 euros or so as the initial charge, I'm not sure what to do.

nadir wrote:
    I'm not sure what to do.

neither am I .

Is there a phone line and phone socket in your gaff. ??

valentino wrote:
    Ok, have made a bit of progress on this..

Saw the promotion (cheers spongebob) so called em up and
    adopted the line that I'm definitely going with eircom broadband..

Girl was immediately way more helpful..

I was told this time that the *usual* 'activation' charge was €49
    and €24 if it had been previously activated and subsequently disconnected..

This is already better!

What she said was i could 'activate' the line by tomorrow morning (Tues) and I'd need to wait till Wed to order eircom broadband..
    Thats how you do it :D

Question is:

a. At what stage do you think i can get my account number off them
    b. Will they still try and charge me line rental for first month?
    c. If i cant get free connection / account # and call smart do you think I can still get the line activated?
    1. god knows, best got when signing up for the line ...its for your bank ...otherwise its on the first bill
    2. god knows, generally no but with eircom you never know till you get your first bill.
    3. evidently eircom can activate the line 'free' so there is a line in your premises and the eircom database can see it meaning smart should be able to 'see' it off the same database.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

i just done this with Magnet, only diferance been i was getting a 2nd line installed...
    Eircom will try and hold back giving you your acc number untill its posted to you...i think they told me up to 10 days, when my 2nd line was installed and was workingg, i rang for my acc number, and they told that they couldnt give me that number over the fone!!!!!
    I rang back teh next day and told them that i wanted my ACC number to set uop teh direct debit.....they were then more than helpfull..
    As for teh line rental i only expect to pay "part rental" for teh time that iam with eircom!

cramp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 valentino

Thanks a million lads,

Just got my account number in the post..

Can now call smart and all systems go..

Btw for those that are interested i was told that the charge of €25 i could ignore and i didnt even really have to send the signed agreement back to eircom!

cramp wrote:
    i just done this with Magnet, only diferance been i was getting a 2nd line installed...
    Eircom will try and hold back giving you your acc number untill its posted to you...i think they told me up to 10 days, when my 2nd line was installed and was workingg, i rang for my acc number, and they told that they couldnt give me that number over the fone!!!!!
    I rang back teh next day and told them that i wanted my ACC number to set uop teh direct debit.....they were then more than helpfull..
    As for teh line rental i only expect to pay "part rental" for teh time that iam with eircom!

cramp

Advertisement