Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Economics Predictions

• 19-06-2006 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

I don't have much of a clue what's going on at all but all I really need in this subject is a strong pass to get my 400 points.

I've studied in detail - Elasticity, Perfect Competition and Monopoly. What really important other things should I cover in depth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 starz87

Id have a go at:
    inflation
    foreign Trade
    national income
    Labour
    Utility
    Demand and supply
    Costs
    Elasticity-cross,supply,income
    SSIA's
    Immigration

No particular order the list!
    Anyone else got some predictions or tips etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

Nope that's pretty much it.
    I'm basically doing

Perfect Competition
    Elasticity
    National Income
    Money and Banking
    International Trade
    Government and the economy
    Factors of Production (mostly focusing on labour)

emm thats all i can think of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Oligopoly and capital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 emmet101

Banking always comes up
    Price Discrimination is likely to appear
    National Income could come up
    Balance of Payments is very likely
    International Trade is very likely
    Elasticity always comes up but you don't have to study it if you cover the macro course well
    You need to know all the economic variables as of June 2006, i.e. inflation, unemployment, interest rates, size of National Debt to GDP, budget defecit/surplus, economic growth
    I wouldn't be suprised if something about third world debt relief and/or SSIAs impact on economy comes up

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mad Cyril

If the market structures continue their pattern, and I can't see why it would change now, then it will be Perfect competition. I don't see where people are geting Price Descrimination from. Monopoly is the next likely market structure fair enough but even at that Price Descrimination is only likely to be a part of that question.

Going on recent years a question on Costs is likely to come up. It has appeared in alternate years since 2000 and last year was it's year off. Elasticity was onyl a part C last year so it would be reasonable to expect a full question this year.

Personally I will have:

Market Structures
    FOP's
    Costs
    Introductory Economics
    Elasticity
    Money and Banking- unlikely this year as it's usually an alternate year question
    National Income
    International Trade and Balance of Payments
    Government and the Economy( will avoid if possible)

I much prefer the micro stuff and I did far more work in fifth year than I did this year so will be sticking to that as much as possible with the exeption of National Income.

This time tomorrow I will be off my tiny little bracket:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Its a bit late,but what do u have to know about SSIA's?Just that theres gonna be loads of inflation and counter measures like reduced government spending or having other saving incentives ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mad Cyril

It's basically the same effect as any injection just tailor your answer to SSIA's

Increased Aggregate Demand
    Increased Consumption
    Increased imports because we are an SOE
    Increased Tax revenues both direct and indirect. (23% tax on the interest earned I think it is)
    Inflation
    Increased Advertising as retail firms attempt to capitalise on the increased demand

Advertisement