Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bilbao metro: a style icon which Dublin metro must emulate

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

http://urbanrail.net/as/tehr/tehran.htm#f1

even Tehran has a metro that should be envied by Dubliners atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

I've seen people smoking crack on the stairs in Tara st...Stephen's green centre, rarely

"Rarely"..? LOL.
    As I said, look at any underground stairwell in Dublin, people don't use them... Future palaces like your utopian travellator would be crack houses.

Where are these underground crack den stairwells you speak of? Travelators feature at Dublin airport. Have you ever seen anyone vomit, urinate or indeed smoke crack on them?

While there may be security issues at certain other metro stations at night, the travelator will operate only in acccordance with CIE's timetable. You really don't seem to understand the concept of a travelator as it applies to metro systems - they aren't vomitoria, urinals or crack dens - they're simply a practical and beautiful solution to modern city transport needs. And the people of Dublin will take to travelators like a duck to water.
    Again Metrobest, what is your specific interest in the Trinity travelator?

The route options show a potential stop in the airport vicinity either under the terminal directly or close by under the great southern hotel, linked to the airport by a travelator. Why are you not campaigning as vigorously to ensure the people of Dublin get another futuristic travelator at the Airport?

No specific interest in it whatsoever other than a desire to see it built because I believe it's exactly what Dublin needs.

I haven't read up on the Terminal 2 project so I just don't know where the metro stop should be located there. Again, if a travelator is convenient and cost effective, I would be supportive of it. Ideally I would like to see the metro surface in the terminal though.
    you would have west Dubs pay for taxis to Dublin airport and spend their hard earned taxes on an interchange at Trinity, just to save poor southsiders from having to 'endure' an extra 2 or 3 minutes going round the loop line.

...And you'd have the everyone pay taxes for a metro system that bypasses the station everyone would like to get off at - College Green, one of the most important spaces in Ireland - just so you get your "integrated" thing at Drumcondra!
    You do NOT know the location of the proposed station at Drumcondra (and certainly not it's exit locations) as the detailed design takes place after the detailed public consultation process, neither of which have begun!

Conceeded. But I have a feeling it's going to surface past the existing railway bridge because otherwise the Maynooth line would be shut during construction? Also that's where it's marked on the latest map.

Look Philip, I'm not against the metro station at Drumcondra if it can be done practically and efficiently within the framework of a stop at Trinity and travelator to Tara. In fact, you may remember when I talked about my North/South metro idea for Dublin two years ago, I specifically mentioned Drumcondra as a station location. But I don't think Drumcondra can become the commuter interchange hub you envisage. Otherwise that would be happending already with the buses and it isn't.

So I'm saying I think you're placing too much faith/emphasis on an interchange at Drumcondra without considering the disbenefit of having no metro station at Trinity and no travelator to Tara.

We should really have both and then we'd all be happy. But then we'd have nothing to argue about on this forum. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Not going to quote but...

Crackdens - Blackrock road underpasses, N11 underpasses any hole in town.

I don't think I meant to type rarely for Stephen's green. However a travellator under the city and a shopping centre are very different things. You're arguing style is similar to "These apples are fine so the 2 year old black banana must be too."

For me not understanding a travellator, I'll repeat again. I live in Temple Bar, I see a lot more of what goes on in this city than you, I know how common drug related offences happen. Your "futuristic" travellator will be perfect. I note you had nothing to say about me seeing people smoking crack in public.... it happens in a lot of places here.....

However you win for line of the day. That bit where you said a travellator is exctly what Dublin needs. I am going to put this to my parents so they can get escallators to the attic. No more using ladders for them. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Transport21 Fan

Seriously sexy, are you having a laugh!! You need to get out more!! LOL

And if this is not boxy, I don't know what is... https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/29451/31163.GIF

I was talking about the station design, not the bloody trains!

(sweet jesus give me strenght...)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Metrobest wrote:
    Where are these underground crack den stairwells you speak of? Travelators feature at Dublin airport. Have you ever seen anyone vomit, urinate or indeed smoke crack on them?

Just to confirm they would be the ones between the check-in desks/security with scanners and one of the Garda passport control booths?

Travelators feature at Dublin airport. Have you ever seen anyone vomit, urinate or indeed smoke crack on them?

That was the Happy Mondays tour schedule during the early 1990's. The above was practically in their contract.

markf909 wrote:
    Again Metrobest, what is your specific interest in the Trinity travelator

Maybe a nice long look up Ivana Batcik skirt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ok Metrobest, I give up. Anyone remember that monorail episode of the Simpsons where they built the 'escalator to nowhere'! Anyway, this will be seen every Friday and Saturday night on metrobest's travelator in the heart of Temple Bar.......
    universal2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I was talking about the station design, not the bloody trains!

(sweet jesus give me strenght...)

Well then why did you say...
    The Bilboa Metro is seriously sexy and yes that's how we need to promote public transport in Ireland. No more boxy trains and smelly locomotives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Maybe a nice long look up Ivana Batcik skirt?

That is fúcking sick man, there is no need for that at all!! :D

Advertisement