Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Warranty period for electrical goods

Options
  • 19-06-2006 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

Hi

anybody know if there is a minimum warranty period required by Irish Law for electrical goods?

Reason I am asking is that I bought a laptop recently, and the charger failed after about 7 months. The supplier tells me that although the laptop has a 12 month warranty period the battery and PSU only have a 6 month warranty, which I think is a load of crap ...

Regards

XDA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You should check your warrany specifics but I doubt it also. Tell the supplier you are going to the small claims court for an expensive > €100 replacement power charger.

FYI you can get a replacement off ebay for £15.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

Thanks Jimmy, I thought I heard somewhere that there was a proposal that all goods must carry a minimum 12 month warranty (EU directive I think) but i guess we haven't implemented it here yet.

Supplier quoted me 89 euro plus vat and delivery for a new one.

I see brand new ones from UK suppliers for about 30 euro delivered on ebay, so I guess thats where i'll be going for it.

Regards

XDA

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd still go the the small claims court over it or at least threaten to. The warranty issue is a bluff as the laptop is useless without a power supply and hence would not be fit for the purpose intended. Its particularly laughable when you consider that the hard drive with its moving parts is the most susceptible part to fail yet they can come with 3 years warranty.

No!Stand your ground with the supplier - ask him how can the laptop be fit for the purpose after seven months without a power supply. But a cheapie ebay supply (I've bought a few including acar charger ) but file for a claim for an original Manufacture model as you should be entitled to...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

XDA wrote:
    Thanks Jimmy, I thought I heard somewhere that there was a proposal that all goods must carry a minimum 12 month warranty (EU directive I think) but i guess we haven't implemented it here yet.

Supplier quoted me 89 euro plus vat and delivery for a new one.

I see brand new ones from UK suppliers for about 30 euro delivered on ebay, so I guess thats where i'll be going for it.

Regards

XDA

I got a psu ordered from a uk online retailer after mine died after 18 months of service.....S*** happens and whilst annoyed i wasn't overly upset. Anyway i went into town to try and source one and tried beyond 2000. To my shock and horror i was quoted 99 euro and a 10 day wait. This was markedly in contrast to the pricelists that were on acer.ie which i assume were in sterling, Even when the exchange rate was factored in there was no way in heck it was near 100!

Arse!!!!

I went online to a uk based company, saved myself 40 euro and the replacement psu was with me within three days. Now there is service and value for money!

Advertisement