Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Contacts getting put of them

Options
  • 19-06-2006 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Quick question. My mum siged up for an O2 contact phone in Janurary becase the sales rep in the store talked he into it saying it would be cheaper. It was not cheaper she used to pay €50 per month on o2 prepay. She now pays €76 on bill pay. Is there anyway she can back out of the contract becasue it is not cheaper like the sales rep said.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

AFAIK she can but she'll have to pay a fee to cancel the contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Maybe she's on the wrong price plan? Has she tried popping back into the shop? Even ringing customer care and voicing her concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If she got a new phone as part of the contract then it will be difficult. but if she only went on contract instead then she should have no difficulty cancelling as O2 will not be out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

ciaranfo wrote:
    Maybe she's on the wrong price plan? Has she tried popping back into the shop? Even ringing customer care and voicing her concerns?

She has tried changing the price plan still works out very expensive. She want to go back to prepay.

I guess she's gotta buy out of the contract then, unless she can prove the guy in the shop gave her incorrect information.

How does billpay work out more exspensive then prepay anyhow? Where are the majority of her calls etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Chances are she may wellbe using the phone more. One I have heard form alot of customers is that they prefer to be on Pre pay, because eventhough it is more expensive to make calls, they can see day to day how much they are spending, where as with post pay they have to wait for the bill.

(She can check her balance, at any stage between bills, but it's not too accurate.)

Odd... my attitude is that I use the phoen when I need to use it ... on billpay she'd just use the mobile. On prepay she'd proberly just use the house phone instead and the costs would be added to that ... what's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There are some limits to o2's rights in this area. Basically they cannot penalize you unduly, it's contrary to European consumer law. You should work out the amount of the subsidy towards the phone. It was probably around 200 euros. Since your mother has spent several times that on calls in the interim, they have gotten her moneysworth from her.

So I would ring them up, tell them what you told us above and ask them is it ok if you break the contract to go back to billpay. Ask to speak to a supervisor if the representative says no. If the supervisor also says no, and won't make you an offer to break the contract for a small fee, tell him or her that you feel that o2 is being 'unreasonable'. Then write into them by email saying that they are being unreasonable. Post here again or PM me and I will try to dig out the relevant EU directive/SI for you to refer to.

You could just port the number to Meteor or Three prepay, but I wouldn't do that if I could avoid it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

shes probably just using the phone more. what price plan is she on? o2 have plans that go as low as 20 euro a month. or maybe she needs to go to a higher plan to stop going over her inclusive minutes.

pay monthly always works out cheaper. the only reason not go with it (and its a big one) is because you can't trust yourself not to overspend. speakeasy is fairly child proof in this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Poitilin

I had something similar with o2 recently and spoke to a agent there who was very understanding and then spoke to a teamleader there "Rose" she really helped me out and understood where I was coming from. You should give them a call.

I would not port unless you have it sorted or you will be subject to a cancel contract fee.

Hope this helps!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement