Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Updates

• 19-06-2006 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this overlaps with anything previous fairly new to this forum and haven't read all posts yet!!
    Are MS (XP with SP2) updates really necessary when you dont have broad band??

If you have a up to date firewall say ZoneAlarm and anti virus AVG and some anti spyware Ad aware which are easy to update over a dial up. I am just wondering what others think ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

A few of the updates have to do with Windows Media Player and IE, so if you use either of those I would keep it up to date. No harm anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Having a firewall and malware scanners are only part of the solution. Without applying the critical patches MS release, the holes that exist will remain open. Close the hole, and the virus can't affect you again, regardless of whether you have up to date AV or not.

Best practise is to do it all. It might be a pain when on a slow speed, but by using the Automatic Update facility, Windows will detect when you are online, and only download when you aren't downloading something yourself. However, I would still use the Windows Update site myself, as its easier to see whats happening, and when its done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

sioda wrote:
    Sorry if this overlaps with anything previous fairly new to this forum and haven't read all posts yet!!

If you have a up to date firewall say ZoneAlarm and anti virus AVG and some anti spyware Ad aware which are easy to update over a dial up. I am just wondering what others think ??

Simple answer is yes updates are needed.

Bad news is itl take a long long time to update. If you dont patch your pc will be full of security holes and there are some serious flaws fixed in the updates.

When i was living with no broadband i did a deal with an internet cafe in the nearest broadband enabled town cafe to allow me to haul my pc in, plug in and update both windows and linux + ahem a few games.

i will say that ur pc is fairly safe but if you drop that firewall and ur unpatched id give ur pc 15 min before it starts to have a heart attack.

Advertisement