Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

need maths whiz help

• 19-06-2006 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

S is the circle x squared + y squared + 4x + 4y - 17 = 0
    and K is the line4x+3y=12.

i. Show that the line K does not intersect S.
    ii. Find the co-ordinates of the point on S that is closest to K.

Any of you out there able to solve this for me...im not having any luck!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

For part (i) just get the radius of the circle, and show that it is not equal to the perpendicular distance from K to the centre. Or do simultaneous equations and show they cannot work out. (i.e. b^2-4ac < 0)

Part (ii) involves differentiating and letting something equal to zero or something I think. The answer is (2,1)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Zoodlebop

To find the point at which the line is closest to the circle, find the slope of the line. Invert this and multiply by -1. This is the slope of the line (called line-z from here) from the center of the circle to the line. Then find the equation of line-z. Do simultaneous equations to find the point where the two perpendicular lines intersect. (2, 1)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Zoodlebop wrote:
    To find the point at which the line is closest to the circle, find the slope of the line. Invert this and multiply by -1. This is the slope of the line (called line-z from here) from the center of the circle to the line. Then find the equation of line-z. Do simultaneous equations to find the point where the two perpendicular lines intersect. (2, 1)

Ah!!! D'Oh for me in the LC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Zoodlebop wrote:

Actually you've got that wrong. It's the point on the CIRCLE that's closest to the line, not the point on the line closest to the circle.

You do everything Zoodlebop says up until the simultaneous equations, you sub the values of z into the circle. Or something.. it's a blur now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Zoodlebop

Enlil_Nick wrote:
    Actually you've got that wrong. It's the point on the CIRCLE that's closest to the line, not the point on the line closest to the circle.

You do everything Zoodlebop says up until the simultaneous equations, you sub the values of z into the circle. Or something.. it's a blur now.

Oh bother, your right. Perhaps I did it right in the exam.....perhaps......not:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MarieDuffy

SWEETTTTT....appreciate the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MarieDuffy

I got the slope of K to be -3/4 but how do i got about get'n the equation of -Z?

Advertisement