Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New skyscrapers planned for limerick

Options
  • 19-06-2006 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

hey everyone, does anyone know if there are plans to build more highrises in the city? any posts/pics etc? put all your thoughts here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

D-A-V-E wrote:
    hey everyone, does anyone know if there are plans to build more highrises in the city? any posts/pics etc? put all your thoughts here.

I have not heard any single project with an actual skyscraper as of yet, but don't let your hopes down, because I'm sure developers are looking for a plot!!! Well it looks promising since the new greenpark, Wetlands, Clancy Strand and the New Ennis rd dev are kickin off. These development are ranging from 3 storeys to 13 give or take. It seems to me that it's a plus for more high rises to spring up. High rises work best in high density,centra to CBD and especially near Riversides. The Docklands In Limerick is well suited in this case. The Land values go up after one and then another and the contagious skyscrapers happenings arise from the ground and so on.

I have not heard anything set in stone, but The Eircom and ESB building On lower Henry street is high enough and there are plans to redevelop it, and IMO I guess they will go higher given that there is average 10 stories there, with Newtown house adjacent to it, so to keep it uniform, it SHOULD be at least 10 storeys and the views from behind it would reflect the river, what's there looking from the river is a heap of shyte . But then again Riverpoint and (St.Munchins reconstructing as we speak) are behind this plot of land. So from an econmonical and practical view, it would be wise to build up and increase the land value here...:)

The Wetlands are proposing to build high rise Apartments, could be anything up to the height of the Riverpoint, hopefully.

Limerick at the moment are definatly more confident in their image, and buildings are comparable to anything built in Dublin at this moment.

The Bedford Row is set back levels at 10 storeys at it's highest elevation.

Also plenty of land for sale at the docks, so there will be high rises there for sure.

Question for all, Is there any sites, or derelict plot within the Henry/Riverside area that would suit high rise more magnificent than it's predecessor?;) ESB site, will be exciting enough anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Are you discussing the Westfield Wetlands? The fight to stop their destruction has barely even started, let alone finished. Hopefully this ill thoughtout plan will never get beyond the dreamings of the getrichquick planner. I want to live in a city with parks and amenities, not some ballymun by the river bedsits.

Are you discussing the Westfield Wetlands? The fight to stop their destruction has barely even started, let alone finished. Hopefully this ill thoughtout plan will never get beyond the dreamings of the getrichquick planner. I want to live in a city with parks and amenities, not some ballymun by the river bedsits.

Though I'm not fully aware of the scale of this project, but as far as I can remember only a small section of the wetlands is being developed ie near the Shannon bridge. moreover, there also improvin the untouched wetlands and improving the dykes, Im not overly against such a scheme if it is to benifet the city,have the highest quality designed buildings, wetlands is restored.. etc

Also no harm in pointing out, If this is to go ahead, it will increase the population of the city limits by at least 2,000(guessing)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I doubt you will see any high rises in Limerick for a while as all the tax incentives are finishing up in the next 18 months or so. Its a pitty riverpoint looks very cool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

heres me thinking that because of the title of this thread more were actually coming thanks for getting me hopes up :D

i don't think we will be seeing anything like the riverpoint for a long time sadly

• Advertisement

mysterious wrote:
    Though I'm not fully aware of the scale of this project, but as far as I can remember only a small section of the wetlands is being developed ie near the Shannon bridge. moreover, there also improvin the untouched wetlands and improving the dykes, Im not overly against such a scheme if it is to benifet the city,have the highest quality designed buildings, wetlands is restored.. etc

Also no harm in pointing out, If this is to go ahead, it will increase the population of the city limits by at least 2,000(guessing)

Here is the problem, you admit you know next to nothing about it, but yet somehow feel qualified to offer an opinion.
    Where did you pull 2000 out of? Even if each appartment housed 4 people (pretty big) you'd need 500 appartments, divided among 5 12 storey buildings means 100 per building, 8 or 9 per floor. The scale of such a development would fill the river!

Also, it might have escaped your notice that the wetlands already serve a purpose, beyond that as a recreational use, they are part of the Shannon flood plain, building there will inevitably lead to flooding on both Strands, the docks and outside Clohessy's. You can't hope to displace the necesarly volume of water without the displaced water going somewhere else.

This development is just bad, see my earlier thread on developmental terrorism (I'll bump it in a minute.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

But they look a state, we need to move the dockers and stuff out of there ... especially the huge pile of scrapage beside the clarion! Great to see jobs, money and life coming into that area. Heard they are planning to create a limerick temple bar, as well as lots of recreational space for the city and proposed residents.

But they look a state, we need to move the dockers and stuff out of there ... especially the huge pile of scrapage beside the clarion! Great to see jobs, money and life coming into that area. Heard they are planning to create a limerick temple bar, as well as lots of recreational space for the city and proposed residents.

If anywhere should be rebranded as "Limerick's Temple Bar", it should be the Cornmarket area. Already plenty of good (ish) bars up there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Heard they are planning to create a limerick temple bar,

Yeah I heard that too.
    They're gonna call it Iron bar (to the back of the head!!!)
    :rolleyes:
    Bad joke I know.
    I heard it on the Late Late show about 8-10 years ago when they were discussing how some developer wanted to make a Limerick "Temple Bar"
    He was gonna make the biggest pub in Ireland!
    I hear things like this all the time.

As for the sky scrappers, I don't think there will be anything over 10 stories for a year or so.
    All the tax incentives are running out, and alot of doubts have been raised about the amount of empty apartment buildings in Limerick!
    Thing is, as was pointed out, they are very addictive.
    As soon as one goes up, another will soon follow.
    I think that in a few years more and more will emerge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

Bank of Scotland Ireland own the Esb site now as they bought up all the former ESB retail shops last year, i would imagine a proposal for that site is being put together at the moment, it looks really shabby at the moment with all the recent riverside developments surrounding it. I'd like to see the developers coming up with an imaginative scheme, it definately needs to be something special as its in the shadow of the riverpoint tower!, a bland apartment block wont do here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

can people also find blueprints/websites for all these planned developments because im quite curious to see what different developments like the big one on bedford row will look like etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

D-A-V-E wrote:
    can people also find blueprints/websites for all these planned developments because im quite curious to see what different developments like the big one on bedford row will look like etc
    There is a thread on www.archiseek.com called Look What's happening on Shannonside (or something similar) and there's pictures there.

Spengman wrote:
    Bank of Scotland Ireland own the Esb site now as they bought up all the former ESB retail shops last year, i would imagine a proposal for that site is being put together at the moment, it looks really shabby at the moment with all the recent riverside developments surrounding it. I'd like to see the developers coming up with an imaginative scheme, it definately needs to be something special as its in the shadow of the riverpoint tower!, a bland apartment block wont do here!

It will be interesting without a doubt. Bank of Scotland obviously brought it for a lot of money and they are definatly going to make a dime out of it. Is'nt there quite a bit of land around it? Does it go to the river.

My wish would be a Max 14 storeys at Henry street, with Apartments,offices,penthouse etc on the Riverside aspect. thus allowing for greater height, maybe 20 storeys;) If one goes up, the trend in other cities is always another!

My conclusion is it will attract high interest,distinctive architecture will blend in etc. and it will be high density to keep with the pace of the developments in front and behind.

Seriously if it were that the ESB site was going to be a towering icon, it would put this section of the city soaring on a national scale and Media attention. I mean, who wouldn't see the potential, Henry street is really awesome now, even though not every new building gone up is a 9/10, but there is character there because there are stricking and different developments and quite of Mix, not like the average High street anyway of 5 storeys uniform post modern crrap..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭shyjoe

great that we need limerick more high rise flats and apartments turning into ghettos.amazon are they trying to build on the 2 little lakes over pass the bridge?

shyjoe wrote:
    great that we need limerick more high rise flats and apartments turning into ghettos.amazon are they trying to build on the 2 little lakes over pass the bridge?

They want to build on the smaller of the 2 lakes, between the Condell road and the river, which is great, becuase everyone knows the Condell road is screaming for more traffic to be let on it. So Limerick loses more parkland to make some guys rich, great plan.

I'd be a little more positive if we didn't have people describing the fall side of the river as "little Amsterdam" (thoguh I disagree largely with that moniker).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

have heard strong rumours from someone generally in the know, of a twin set of high rise buildings for the Arthurs Quay area. Don't know if thats the Shopping centre or the Park but neither would be a big loss imo. The arthurs quay park is not a great public space in fairness and the shopping centre is nothing short of a farse..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

vkid wrote:
    have heard strong rumours from someone generally in the know,

the brother of the aunt of my sisters 2nd cousins godfather... that's how rumours are made... :p
    vkid wrote:
    of a twin set of high rise buildings for the Arthurs Quay area.

Limericks Midwest Trade Centre? :)
    vkid wrote:
    The arthurs quay park is not a great public space in fairness and the shopping centre is nothing short of a farse..

for the park: i suppose it was ment to be a bit more lively as the stairs appear shaped like an greek amphy theatre. and if they would switch on the fountain beside the tourist information then it could become a decent place. at the moment only the knackers would miss it to hang around. or the Polish to sit down to have the can of beer in public. SCNR :D;) for the sopping centre: i think it's ok. it's not a huge big mall but as wow it is it is fine for me.

IB

Advertisement