Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband in my area

• 19-06-2006 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

hiya i have eircom BB and im not really happy with it is their any providers in my area that wud give unlimited download allowance or aleast about 30GB i live in Tramore in Co.Waterford i tryed smart but they dont come out here unfortunity

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you have Eircom then you can also get broadband from any of their resellers, such as BT, UTV, Digiweb, Imagine, Perlico, Strencom, Cinergi and probably many more. Anyway, BT have a 30G cap and UTV offer a 120G cap for an extra €5 a month. The others I don't know about.

In what way are you not happy? Eircom are raping you with charges, it's slow, unreliable, etc? If it's a line quality problem then switching won't help as it'll be the same line and same connection in the exchange. The only difference will be how the other ISPs shape the traffic or what their backhaul is like. I believe they're all pretty much the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

thanks ill try Utv and possibly BT no theirs nothing wrong with my line i guess im unhappy with eircoms download allowance and their costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yeah, Eircom do know how to charge don't they, though I believe their allowances are the same as BT's now. At least the top package is 30G anyway.

Before choosing BT have a look at the many, many, many, many other threads regarding their (lack of) service. I currently have BT broadband and the broadband itself is great and the price is second only to Smart Telecom. The billing dept however is a shambles and you can have serious trouble when dealing with them. Expect to be over billed, not credited for over-billed amounts, receive no bill and then get debt collectors calling around threatening you for not paying or just trying to collect on completely fictitious bill amounts, and so on.

Investigate it yourself certainly, but sign up at your own peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

umm yikes rite:p ive actually been looking at a few threads:p but eircom allowance mine anyway is 12gb i think and ya know anything about utv they dont seem to be mentioned much and 120gb does sound sweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Hmm have to agree with the billing. I ordered BT and cancelled and actually got a bill for €0.00. I didn't pay and was disappointed that I got no final notice! :D

My dealings with the third parties and from people I know leads me to believe that their hands are tied and at the mercy of Eircom.

Your connection will always take longer with them after placing your order; when you have problems it will take days to sort out instead of a few minutes (probably because Eircom migrated your connection onto a new piece of kit and didn't configure it properly - a) 'coz they don't give a toss about third party bb suppliers - b) the engineer who did it is a tosser - c) they are out to screw anyone on third party bb.

I don't know which is true - but fairly sure its one of these!

• Advertisement
Advertisement