Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name for our house: an ideas?

Options
  • 19-06-2006 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi everyone,
    We've recently been granted planning permission and hope to start building in the next few months. I've been searching the web for some nice ideas on a name for the house, but most are American and not very suited to here. The house will be in the country and is a 4-bed storey and a half, with cut stone. Any suggestions? I'm not really into Dunroamin, Hill View etc.......:confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

spot, as in "spot the house" .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Ard Aobhinn.
    Nice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

*tongue-in-cheek*
    1. Chez nous
    2. La casa
    3. Bellevue
    4. Bellavista
    5. The Haven

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'd suggest Weeshie, but the neighbours might think you're into golden showers or summat...

The name of your house should be personal, like the name of your children or pets; or your car if you're into that sort of thing (mine's called Otto). A lot of people choose a place that they love(d): where they went on their honeymoon, or on holidays as kids, etc.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭PRman

Adam is a nice name..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Weeshie

Thanks everyone for all these suggestions. But like you say, it has to actually "mean" something to us - I don't want something generic that could apply to anyone or any house. My friend and her partner recently named their house which is on a lovely high site looking down over the town - "Whistletop House" - needless to say it gets a tad blustery up there at times! Another name I saw recently and I thought it was so lovely - "Le Chéile" - awwwww...:) (for our international friends, that's Irish for "together". Keep 'em coming..............

How do you expect anonymous internet users to come up with something that means something to you?

like as in the word "Tarmac" means something to you Ken but not to me, obviously .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

"Temple of Doom"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Look at the names of the townlands around you.
    Ireland has thousands of beautiful placenames - use one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

GDL House (Global Domination Location)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Excalibur Cottage

Sponge Bob wrote:
    like as in the word "Tarmac" means something to you Ken but not to me, obviously .
    You lost me there Bob.

TarmacAdam

Awful. See, it was so bad I didn't get it.

My Gaff is called "The Abyss" because it is so dark in there even at this time of year and because Mrs Sponge runs things shipshape like a Mother Superior or 'Abbess' .

Thus are the house and its leading denizen synonomically intertwined.

Nobody who has ever been there ever had the cheek to actually ASK me why it was so named either :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭अधिनायक

Why don't you call your house 'Subsidy' in thanks to the people who chose to live in towns and villages and pay the same for their services as you will, despite the difference in cost of supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Why don't you call your house 'Subsidy' in thanks to the people who chose to live in towns and villages and pay the same for their services as you will, despite the difference in cost of supply?

Development Levy.

Advertisement