Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

unix instead of ms

• 19-06-2006 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Can I load unix onto a machine with Xp already installed
    I have a dual boot on a machine already ,could i install unix on it.

Thanks

Brian.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

what are you dual booting xp with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I have a machine with a dual xp home boot on it at the moment.
    i don't use one at all ,so i was thinking of installing unix on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

You probably want to install ubuntu linux. You can tell it to format and use on of the partitions during the installation.

Really appreciate that steveire ,I almost begun to download fedora

Hoping this will be a good thing.
    Don't want to regret not trying it .

Thanks

Brian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

have you more than one parition, if not you may lose some data, ive seen a few pcs with dualboot to differant windows folders winnt and windows and winxp for example

make sure you do a backup no matter

• Advertisement

Hal1 wrote:
    have you more than one parition, if not you may lose some data, ive seen a few pcs with dualboot to differant windows folders winnt and windows and winxp for example

make sure you do a backup no matter

I do ,the only thing I have to check is the boot.ini file and make sure I don't overwrite the root drive :D

Hopefully it will be ok ,I might try and get a copy of linux in marx computers though ,because I'm afraid that if i download ,there will be a bad checksum or something.

Fingers are crossed.

Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Download the ".md5" file with it. Put it in the same folder as your download.

http://www.quickpar.org.uk/Download-0.9.1.0.htm download this and install it.

Open the .md5 file. Quickpar will scan the file and make sure that the file is as it should be. No worries then!

Hello,it's me again :(

I just finished downloading ubuntu 6 ,and I'm burning it right now.
    My question is an akward one ,but you might understand .

When I put in the last hard drive ,I had to install windows on it first to get the extra gigabytes as the installation only picked up on 160 or something.
    I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about.
    I'm wondering if I can install ubuntu on this partition ,or will I cause trouble by doing that .
    Also ,will ubunutu recognize windows and let windows pick a spot for it's installation ,or do I have to try and guide it in myself???

Thanks

Brian.

Thanks to those who have helped ,
    I'm actually using it for this log on :) ,amazingly easy to install.
    I like the way ubuntu can run from the disc without installing onto the hard drive.

Also the workspace buttons are brilliant ,great stuff

Looks like this will keep me going for a good while.

Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

yeah I like Dapper as well nice and friendly interface :)

• Advertisement

I use to get the odds and ends I needed at Zdnet ,for utils etc.

Wheres good for bits and pieces for unbuntu.??
    It's updating itself at the moment ,about 87 mb's of updates :)

Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

just search for what you need in Synaptic Package Manager, it connects to the internet to download open source software

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

_Brian_ wrote:
    I use to get the odds and ends I needed at Zdnet ,for utils etc.

Wheres good for bits and pieces for unbuntu.??
    It's updating itself at the moment ,about 87 mb's of updates :)

Brian.
    www.ubuntuguide.org

Indispensable for Ubuntu :)

I'm using it now since earlier today ,something has the better of me .

I've downloaded codec files and eventually found out how to get the files into the usr/lib/win32 directory.
    But it still won't work .

I've tried loads of websites ,is there any site that is good at helping with installing the codecs in ubuntu ,so I can listen to mp3's.

I'm happy with the OS and the way it works ,it's better to think about things I think when using a computer.

Cheers.

Brian.

_Brian_ wrote:
    I'm using it now since earlier today ,something has the better of me .

I've downloaded codec files and eventually found out how to get the files into the usr/lib/win32 directory.
    But it still won't work .

I've tried loads of websites ,is there any site that is good at helping with installing the codecs in ubuntu ,so I can listen to mp3's.

I'm happy with the OS and the way it works ,it's better to think about things I think when using a computer.

Cheers.

Brian.
    Again www.ubuntuguide.org has a step by step guide for installing codecs:
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_install_Multimedia_Codecs

Make sure to read the How To Install Extra Repositories guide first:
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_add_extra_repositories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i always had a problem with codecs with Ubuntu. The only media player that ever worked properly for me was MPlayer w/Firefox.

Most check out that Ubuntu Wiki

I used the guide to install xine and then the guide to install the codecs. Everything plays for me now other than WMV (but sure we don't need that do we :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

steveland? wrote:
    I used the guide to install xine and then the guide to install the codecs. Everything plays for me now other than WMV (but sure we don't need that do we :))

VLC plays WMV's.

Advertisement