Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honestly - Will I ever get broadband!

Options
  • 19-06-2006 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

(apologise this is a bit of a rant)

All this hype about the No. of enabled exchanges, wireless broadband coverage, yet I am unable to get broadband by any means other then satellite.

I live in North Kildare, one of the most populated parts of the country, not far from our captial city Dublin and between 3 large towns (5,000+), Maynooth, Clane and Kilcock. You'd think in this day and age I'd be able to get broadband but hey, no, not possible !!!

My exchange is Clane and I live 4-5Km from the exchange, every operator I try, tells me "Sorry but ... ", I even send msg to the Pat Kenny show (anyone remember that one!) was asked by "Tom Fitzpatrick - press office Eircom" what my number was and have not heard anything since I forward it to him ... and finally to make it worse, "People" are saying there is no demand!!

Is there anything I can do to get broadband? (other then pay €100 for sat.)!
    thanks for listening
    H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

im am also in a preety crap situation
    i live in a town with about 2000 people and much more in the surrounding area
    i am anout half a kilometre from the exchange
    but for some reason eircom have yet to unbundle it which makes no sense
    all the towns around Hospital (name of town) have broadband but for some reason we have just been passed out
    ive been to places that you could count the number of houses with you fingers (example ballinspittle in cork) that have broadband yet eircom still have no plans to enable the exchange
    could it be that they have a lot of dial up customers here and dont want to lose them

though you seem to be in a worse situation because you dont live near a exchange im bound to to get it sooner or later (hopefully sooner)
    ive had to put up with isdn for 4yrs now and im hoping this will be my last year

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Same situation where I live. Only 6km from Raheen with BT adsl etc. But its own exchange on no prospect.

I'm right on edge of Wireless range for Woodcock hill and had to get the farmer's permission and cut a lot of very big branches to "see" the mast "under the trees" from back door. You would need a 30ft mast on chimney to do it from the roof as the trees are mature Beech etc near 60ft tall.

I think even if EVERY exchange is enabled so many lines will fail and so many folks are beyond working distance that Wireless BB is only hope for nearly 40% of population.

Fortunately some companies are rolling out Wireless that actually works and looking at more technologies and frequencies.

Meanwhile Eircom sits on its Nationwide 3.5GHz FWA allocation and mostly pretends it deosn't exist. It is hard even to get a wireless phone from Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

I would strongly suggest you write to Minister Noel Dempsey, minister.dempsey@dcmnr.gov.ie to debunk the "lack of demand" spin currently being generated by certain parties.

I have done this on June 2nd and am awaiting a response, apparently I will get one within 20 working days of writing. I don't expect a miracle response, but I do want to go on record, and will be writing with his response to my local paper to encourage others to do the same. The main gist of my argument is that FRIACO is so much more expensive than broadband, but I don't have the option of moving to broadband because of where I live.

I'm hoping I don't get a response similar to this, but applaud the guy for making his contact known:

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-provision-broadband-/2006/06/20/1687198.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Huggy Bear wrote:
    Is there anything I can do to get broadband?
    Ask the "Southern and Eastern Regional Assembly" for assistance. Go to the EC website at http://europa.eu.int/information_society/industry/comms/broadband/index_en.htm
    In the right column under the heading "Success Stories" they post their Irish success story.
    Direct link to their "Success Story" is http://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/projects/stories/details.cfm?pay=IE&the=19&sto=1265&lan=5
    The story begins:
    "In 2002 the Irish Government set itself a target that Ireland should be in the top 10 of OECD Countries for broadband connecting within 5 years. In pursuit of this objective a twin-track approach was adopted. The first involved the provision of the physical infrastructure throughout the country. Secondly, once the basic infrastructure was in place, it was necessary to ensure the broadband services available at a price attractive to consumers. The widespread availability of high-speed affordable, flat-rate, always-on internet access, referred to as “broadband”, was central to the development of Ireland as a knowledge and information society...."
    You are probably one of those who through the "twin-track approach" "potentially" gained access to broadband, no, to broadband infrastructure:
    "Additional 240,000 households and 36,000 businesses gained potential access to broadband infrastructure.
    Contact info is
    Southern and Eastern Regional Assembly
    Blair, Stephen
    Assembly House
    O’Connell Street
    IRL-, Waterford City
    Ireland
    Tel.: +353 51 860700 Fax: +353 51 879887
    E-Mail: sblair@seregassembly.ie
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Garry_Bouncer

Hi

First post so forgive me if this has been covered by others. I am in rural Limerick like some of the others posting here. I thought I was bad, until I read your post about north Kildare. I lived in Leixlip for years and to think that someone in as populated a place as north Kildare can't get broadband, make me wonder when the likes of me will get it. My local exchange (and town) is not enabled yet, but even if it ever is, I am about 5km from it at least!

Could anyone advise on what alternatives are there other than waiting for Eircom? The searching I have done on Satellite suggests that it is very expensive. Are there cheaper options? Any help appreciated.

Garry_Bouncer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

See can you get any of the Wireless Broadband or a GBS. Satellite isn't quite Broadband, though it is easily possible to spend more on dialup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

rural south Limerick or rural West or rural East . While south along the Cork road is a problem the other areas have some good wireless.

sadly im olong the old cork road
    can anybody please explain to me why eircom would skip a town that has a big enough population to have got broadband like 2years ago?
    who tells them what towns to pick?
    surely if it goes by population hospital should have it
    is there another factor im missing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the only way to go is to make enough noise to be heard.

get someone geeky to start a website and promote it locally, getting people to add their name to a petition demanding broadband for Clane.

make no noise and nobody will ever know how bad you want it.

make as much noise as possible and you'll get everyone else out of the woodwork that feels the same way and have a presence in your community that will make a statement worth listening to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Huggy Bear wrote:
    Hi,

(apologise this is a bit of a rant)

All this hype about the No. of enabled exchanges, wireless broadband coverage, yet I am unable to get broadband by any means other then satellite.

I live in North Kildare, one of the most populated parts of the country, not far from our captial city Dublin and between 3 large towns (5,000+), Maynooth, Clane and Kilcock. You'd think in this day and age I'd be able to get broadband but hey, no, not possible !!!

My exchange is Clane and I live 4-5Km from the exchange, every operator I try, tells me "Sorry but ... ", I even send msg to the Pat Kenny show (anyone remember that one!) was asked by "Tom Fitzpatrick - press office Eircom" what my number was and have not heard anything since I forward it to him ... and finally to make it worse, "People" are saying there is no demand!!

Is there anything I can do to get broadband? (other then pay €100 for sat.)!
    thanks for listening
    H

Im with you here and coming seriously frustrated - I mean I cant even get eircom to give me even an indication of whether my exchange will EVER be upgraded. (anyone know of a number to call????)

Ive even thought about moving due to the constaints of not having broadband access.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Maxwell

I've sent you a PM with the email address and telephone number of the eircom rep (Press Office) who confirmed to me that there is no provisional date for my exchange to be enabled.

HTH

i rang eircom and they said the next list of exchanges to be enabled for the next couple of months will be there in 2 weeks its possible that we could both be on it
    hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

govinda wrote:
    Maxwell

I've sent you a PM with the email address and telephone number of the eircom rep (Press Office) who confirmed to me that there is no provisional date for my exchange to be enabled.

HTH
    Thanks for your PM govinda, will see how things work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Huggy Bear,

Check out this crowd hopefully they'll be ablr to help you
    http://www.kildarebroadband.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

same here, 5 months without internet, and I live in Dbulin 3, although I think my exchange is enabled, I jsut cant get smart/eircom to connect me for unknown reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Huggy Bear

Cheers Private Joker, will give them go

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Worth checking out the vodafone unlimited broadband for 49 inc vat

If you have a 3g phone see if you can make a 3g video call to someone else from your home to see if you can get the bb.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭tracy1002

Hi

I live in Clane and am on the Clane exchange - got broadband from Imagine about 4 weeks ago. Only 9.99 per month (always on) or free for 20hours. Check out www.imagine.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ukdavros

I am well fed up about not being able to get broadband.
    It seems everywhere around us has it.
    We live in Mullagh Co Meath.
    Kells, Virginia and Bailieborough has it.

I wouldnt mind as much if the dam dial up actually worked

got no hope in trying to run a business

Mark:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fubarts

As somone new to this trying to get BB ****e:confused: And coming from a 4meg cable network with NTL in Derry, to try phoning Eircom in another 2 months:eek: reply from Eircom when they tested the line:(

Whats going on?

1. Next door neighbour has BB.
    2. the line to the house had crackling on the line from the previous person living here & fixed....Engineer said no problem getting BB on that line when asked:D
    3. under a mile from the enabled Exchange in Glenties:)
    4. 5 lines coming off the pole in the next door neighbours garden, including mine.

So whats the problem?....Beats the hell out of me.

Looks i'll be going cold-turkey for a while:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ukdavros

Not sure whether something maybe happening.
    Our dial up connection has gone from connecting at around 38 to now connecting at 57. Still pretty crap though

Regards
    Mark

Was your line an "amber program" line UKDAVROS where the eircom line checker passed you as neither sutable or unsuitable but said 'may be available'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Mullagh is not on or near a fibre optic cable route. Eircom would have to lay fibre to Virginia probably and the terrain is not very favourable for wireless links. Don't expect eircom to come out there anytime.

Do you know if Mullagh serves Moynalty? You may have a chance of the exchange being upgraded in that case.

decentralisation is it TBC ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Made a mistake. Mullagh is served by Kells. That's where the backhaul would be from.

Moynalty is a village a little bigger than Mullagh but I'm pretty sure Mullagh serves both and eircom may enable it if they are covering 2 villages then.If Moynalty is served by Carlanstown then ukdavros will be waiting a good length of time. They enabled the Louth village exchange; I would say because it covers another village, Tallanstown and it's within range.

ukdavros is not the first poster on boards to have asked about Mullagh. Mabye eircom will take note.

I don't think decentralisation is on its way to Moynalty. There would be a lot of pi**ed-off larger towns asking where their state agency is:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

I don't think decentralisation is on its way to Moynalty. There would be a lot of pi**ed-off larger towns asking where their state agency is:p
    They'd be asking the wrong question - they right question is "where's my robber baron cabinet member?".

It boggles the mind that John O'Donoghue, for example, can move "his" department to his constituency, and nobody bats an eyelid. You'd think he was a medieval baron telling his serfs what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Back on topic please

Advertisement