Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL USB Modem Question

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

from my reading of the OP this looks to be the root of your problem.
    you need to connect the router to the modem with ethernet - use the router for sharing the connection, not the PC.
    The OP claims that that doesn't work for him - he says that his WAN port is only providing 3.5mb/s throughput. (It doesn't make much sense, I know, but there you go).
    if you connect the modem to the pc with usb you will get MAX 10Mbps between the modem & pc - this is a max theoretical value. in reality (as it's prob usb 1.1) you will get about half that.
    That's some wierd theory you've got there - USB 2.0 is well capable of exceeding the speed of a 100Mbps ethernet connection (that's one reason why external hard drves come with USB ports rather than ethernet ports). Full Duplex 10-BaseT should be better than USB 1.1 in almost every case (even though USB1.1 is faster on paper), but that's not normally noticable on a broadband connection.
    the ethernet between the pc & router is [rated at a theoretical value] 100Mbps
    The Netgear WGR614v2 does not have a 100-BaseT WAN port. Most home routers only support 10Mb/s WAN connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I have that router, and even though it's an absolute piece of shíte, I still get the full 10 Mb/s through the WAN port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Foxwood wrote:
    Purely as a matter of interest, how are you measuring this? Are you hitting a particulat speedtest site, or are you measuring it by downloading something?

I'm downloading, from heanet, and unreal.ie

I'll post sshots of what I get with each type of connection in a second.

Modem to router, to PC
    mdoemrouterpc9ns.jpg

USB to PC
    usbpc5ph.jpg

Direct Ethernet to PC
    modempc9ey.jpg

Foxwood wrote:
    (It doesn't make much sense, I know, but there you go).

No, it really doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? Can you see why my patience is slipping at this stage? It _SHOULD_ work, but it doesn't.

I am pretty sure I have the latest firmware on the router, but I'll double check

• Advertisement

Alright, im going to stick with the USB, as it's the lesser of two evils, I atleast get just over 4Mb with it, until I find a better solution.

So now I need to enable internet sharing on my my, which I have done. How do I get the other pc to use my internet? They're both on the same network (set to HOME), I've run setup a home or small office network on this pc, and selected "This pc connects directly to the internet, the other pcs on the network connect through this PC..." and it's Shared my "local area connection 4", which is the USB Cable Modem. But it doesn't seem to be working...

[edit] should I disable DHCP on the router?

mang87 wrote:
    No, it really doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? Can you see why my patience is slipping at this stage? It _SHOULD_ work, but it doesn't.

I am pretty sure I have the latest firmware on the router, but I'll double check
    You might try tweaking your MTU and RWin settings, which should probably be different when going through an additional router for maximum throughput.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Foxwood wrote:
    That's some wierd theory you've got there - USB 2.0 is well capable of exceeding the speed of a 100Mbps ethernet connection
    emmmmmm...
    in reality (as it's prob usb 1.1)....
    Foxwood wrote:
    The Netgear WGR614v2 does not have a 100-BaseT WAN port. Most home routers only support 10Mb/s WAN connections.
    which is why I mentioned:
    the WGR614 latest model is up to V6.
    older versions may not be capable of high throughputs??.

BTW - the V6 model I referred to DOES have 10/100 WAN

with what the OP is trying to do (modem to pc with usb, pc to router with enet & ICS on the PC) is worse than using the router > modem config

he appears to be getting max 3.5 between modem & pc via usb from the screenshots

if this is the max that the USB allows then the WAN port on the router (which is apparently only allowing a max of 3.5Mbps) will not even be receiving this from the pc - if you take loss (usb port incoming > ethernet card outgoing) plus ICS into account

he could also enet from modem to pc (as he is getting 10megs), install a wireless card in the pc and use that to share the connection to the other pc

IMHO
    I think it's time to splash out on a new router :D

emmmmmm...
    Don't worry about it, you're probaby not the only person who has difficulty with 3 digit numbers.
    BTW - the V6 model I referred to DOES have 10/100 WAN.

The OP specifically said that he has a V2, and I specifically said that the V2 only has a 10Mb/s WAN port. The specs of the V6 are about as relevant as the specs of a Ford Mondeo to the OPs problem.

Advertisement