Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N70 - Should I ?

• 19-06-2006 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. Thought I'd come here for a bit of advice. As my NEC E616V just went down the toilet last night ( Litreally - Lets not go into it how it happened )

Anyway, I was planning anyway to change it for a N70 this friday. I was going to get a 6680 but realised may aswel pay the premium for the N70. I was wondering is the N70 a really good phone or what ? Whats so good about it ? I've havn't a clue really at this stage about every feature every phone offers on the market. Not the same as the days when there was a Siemens C25 and a Nokia 3210 on the market :rolleyes:

Anyway Its 329 RRP in Vodafone. I was gonna order a 1GB Dual Voltage RS-MMC card for it aswel, I presume That'll work in it ? ( 38 Euro from www.shop4memory.com ) So do you's think its a good phone and well worth it ? Also I'm interested in watching this free TV through 3G also.

Please let me know what you's think ?

Thanks,

Hj

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

depends what your looking for. the screen resolutions on the 6680 is the same as the one on the N70 so there wont be any better picture quality if thats what your interested in ( was gonna get a N80 meself but 649 too much and no bugger beside 3 is selling it!) but it does have a built in radio and the 6680 doesnt.
    personally im gonna try and get the 6280. its a S40 fone as opposed to a S60 one but the screens big and the resolutions the best next to the N80 (320x240) so if your interested in the video/picture/mobile tv thing more than functionality you could do worse. besides i really hate the N70s keypad, too fecking knobly. they feel like they'll come off. its still a good fone, its just a shame they used such an average display

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Well I supose the resolution on the screen isnt too important. I just like the quality of the images when transfered onto the PC. Thats what is important. I will use the camera on the phone quite alot, Thats what is atracting me to it so much. I've orderd a 1Gb RS-MMC card too so That'll store plenty + Ill use it for Mp3's also. If availible I will be watching TV hopefully over 3G, That'll pass sometime when in work or will be handy when no TV is availible.

I know what you mean about the buttons, I have used both 6680 and the N70, They are both a bit awkaward phones to get used to with regards to buttons and unfortuently my fingers aren't that quite small :rolleyes:

Hj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

hmmm first tell us what you want in a phone, eg camera, video etc.
    The n70 is a smartphone using symbian os so you can install programs etc on to it. If your not interested in that I'll leave it , If you want an good phone basically a good all rounder with 3g, you cant go wrong with the 6280, plus of the 6280 is that you can put an 2gig mini sd into for your music!

Hope this helps

ps:what did happen?..dying to know!

Well I want a top notch phone but keeping with in a budget, I can afford better but I won't. I even feel 330 from vodafone is too much but I will do it. looks like a great phone. I want Music, Pictures, Videos all to be quality although video isnt important. Installing my own app's sounds interesting, Defiently something I will experiment with. I want a3G phone again, And be able to watch video / tv / video call. So this phone seems the perfect phone and really really high spec. I've watched some video reviews of it and it looks sweet.

Anybody have one wanna give their view ?

EDIT : By asking " What happened " I presume you are refering to my NEC falling in the toilet ? I would of though that was fairly self explanory

Me : Walk into toiler with phone in hand
    Jeans : " Zzip "
    Phone : Plop
    Me : " Oh Boll!X "

Hj

Well i use a n70 and have never looked back,everything perfect on it,its my 3rd symbian os phone believe or not a had a 6680 which was brill but i changed it for a n70 because it sorted all a niggles that i found on the 6680!Camera is decent,if your listening to music i would get the headphone adapter in cpw for using normal headphones!Anyway that nec deserves it..What a terrible phone!

• Advertisement

It deserves it ?? Jeez, Thats harsh. Especially for a phone that just dropped into the toilet and is working perfectly now. But anyhow I was still going to change to a N70 this friday. But yeah my NEC Is working perfectly now and on the plus side, It got a good clean, outside and in :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice bud.

Hj

Just before I order it, I wanna confirm these are the correct type of flash card for the phone ? I am going to order a 1GB stick.

**1Gb MMCmobile High-Speed Dual Voltage RS-MMC TS1GRMMC4
    High Speed MMCmobile Dual Voltage Reduced Size MultiMedia Card (RSMMC) from Transcend. Supporting Dual Voltage feature, compatible with Nokia 6630 and all other devices using SD/MMC cards. Weight 1g, Dimensions 24x18x1.4mm. 50% smaller than standard MMC cards. Low power consumption. Includes MMC adapter and retail packaging. Full specifications, Stock: 20+ units
    Manufacturer: Transcend, Warranty: 2 years € 30.17
    ex. VAT € 36.5
    incl. VAT

Gotta love that price,

Hj

Had a go @ a nec found it very fiddlely a cheap didn't like the gui either!As for the card its bang on,just avoid the kingston ones cos they too slow for video recording.The video recording for n70 is superb,its watchable on the computer so it needs a fast card!

Sound. Gonna order the card now. Waiting for pay day this friday before I make the purchase.

Just to throw in, I was in Vodafone up in blanch s.c today. The chap wanted to show me the video over 3G on the n70. To his embasrrasment when it kept buffering every 5 seconds :rolleyes:

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

:D poor bugger. the vid on the N70 is actually very good. like i said i'd be more intersted in viewing it on the phone so its not my choice because of the screen res. but the transfer to pc is just as good as true video quality which means you get way more detail than can be seen on the phone and the camera is 2MB so it sounds like the one for you

• Advertisement

I am just curious. If I have the 1GB stick for the phone, can i transfer movies onto the card with my card reader and put it into the phone and watch the movie ? I mean if I encode the movie to the resolution of the screen on the phone ( Very low ) It will only occupy about 150-200mb MAX. Would the phone allow play back of this movie presuming I encode it in the proper format ?

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

dont bother with N70, wait for N72 or N73 would be my advice.

But then I have had a 6230i for a year and am finding it difficult to choose between the dozens of models that Nokia are bringing out for every segment, sub-segment and sub-sub-segment of the market.

What to get?

The 6233, E50, E60, N72, N73, 9300i, or 6151...?

jrey1981 wrote:
    dont bother with N70, wait for N72 or N73 would be my advice.

But then I have had a 6230i for a year and am finding it difficult to choose between the dozens of models that Nokia are bringing out for every segment, sub-segment and sub-sub-segment of the market.

What to get?

The 6233, E50, E60, N72, N73, 9300i, or 6151...?

Yes but the question is, How long will I be waiting for the N72 and N73 ? YOu know what were like in this country. Are you sure Vodafone/o2/3 will be even bringing in these phones here ?

Hj

Well the n72 is just a fashion version of the n70,same specs,the n73 will be launched but i'd say september @ the least as it was just announced last month or so!The e61 has no camera,the e70 will be launched soon i'd say in next few weeks,thats prob my next phone,but was thinking of getting a i-mate sp5 or similar windows mobile phones...So much choices!

HungryJoey wrote:
    Yes but the question is, How long will I be waiting for the N72 and N73 ? YOu know what were like in this country. Are you sure Vodafone/o2/3 will be even bringing in these phones here ?

Hj

They will be here before the end of the year I am guessing.

The Nokia N72 and 6233 are just coming on the wholesale market now afaik.

The N72 has a better camera than the N70 afaik.

Still, you could always get the N70 now and sell it if you decide you want one of the newer ones when they are out.

Same 2mp camera on n70,buy the n70 now,wait until something nice to come around,unlock your n70,sell it,buy whatever you want..Problem solved!

Yeah there's no way Im waiting till the end of the year for a phone, Im not that crazy. Even if you said a few weeks, I would still be content getting the N70.

Hj

yep I think you are right it is the N73 that has the 3.2MP camera.

I guess I aint that bothered about waiting, and I am still not sure about the keypads on the newer Nokias which look a bit plasticky and annoying for my liking.

Advertisement