Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Adaptor

• 19-06-2006 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

I have broadband at home here. But when I go up to my uncles house, their nextdoor neighbour who also is a uncle has broadband. He has given me permission to use his BB. Anyway, I have a wireless card in my computer and it won't pick up his signal. I was thinking off getting a 100m usb adaptor out of Argos. Would this be powerful enough to get his signal as his house is just across the road?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Too many unknowns here - great to have so many uncles though! - Has your uncle security on the network? Is the wireless card on your computer g or b?
    Is your uncles router g or b? And I dont mean to sound patronising or anything but have you definitely got your wireless on your computer actually switched on? If you actually visit the house with the wireless router can you pick up a signal there?

And as for buying a more powerful wireless usb card for these to work to their potential you would need the router and the usb to be from the same manufacturer and the same category e.g. mimo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

BTW it is my uncle. He does have a secured network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

BTW it is my uncle. He does have a secured network.
    No shítty usb dongle from argos will get you 100 metres.
    You will need an antenna or collector of sorts to make this work.
    Else, try placing the radios at better locations.

Advertisement