Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

park Magic

Options
  • 19-06-2006 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Got one of these the other day and i was wondering how does it work (from a technical point of view) ? Does the unit know where it is located and how does it communicate with parkmagic? Doesnt seem to be anything on its site about it

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

GPS for location?

Clever gadget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I wouldnt say so as these units are quite cheap and small

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Are the old parking discs still being used?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes. Discs still available.

Units cost €15 with €7.50 of credit for parking in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

The units are actually small pagers. So basically they only receive signals. They don't have GPS so they don't know where they are.
    Basically they receive the signal from Parkmagic that you have paid parking for that hour.

• Advertisement

But how do they know that your in a 1hr area or a 4hr area? If they dont know where they are then city council would be loosing money as you could stay in the 1hr bay for 4hrs.

Yes i know i let the stupidest of things bother me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

I haven't actually seen one in operation but what comes up on the screen when you activate it? I would assume time and date? So basically the warden reads what is on the device and he knows what timelimits are in affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

It does not matter what zone you are in. When you park and dial to activate the unit, that time shows on the display. If its a two hour zone then the parking is valid for 2 hours and for 4 hours in a 4 hour zone, just like the
    paper disc. A traffic warden just needs to see the time of activation and then knows if you have overstayed your welcome!

Ah yes that would make alot more sense, allot simpler than GPS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

Does anyone know of any number other than that bloody 0818 one, that can be called when parking?

I've tonnes of free minutes with my network yet I have to pay for each call I make to ParkMagic. IT means I'm paying more for parking that people who are using disks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

there is also a window decal available from park magic with a barcode on one side and the numbers on the other (limerick and cork)

limerick 1800303093 when parking

sonyair wrote: »
    there is also a window decal available from park magic with a barcode on one side and the numbers on the other (limerick and cork)

limerick 1800303093 when parking

I have the decal...but I didn't have that number. The one I had was 0818220330. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

when parked in a 1hr zone can you redial for a further hour when your hr is up or do you have to move on?

cyberspi wrote: »
    when parked in a 1hr zone can you redial for a further hour when your hr is up or do you have to move on?

No, you can do consecutive parking 'sessions', but from what I can remember you have to book the second one before the first expires or something like that - i.e. after 50 minutes or an hour and 50 minutes or whatever you book again.

I'm not 100% on that, but I think that's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

set an alarm on your phone for 58 minutes and just redial the parkmagic number again. simple as.

Advertisement