Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford on Morning Ireland

Options
  • 19-06-2006 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just a linky-poo for those who did'nt hear RTEs flagship programme down in the Deise this morning (Monday). It is part of a series on business in the regions.

Clink this link and zoom to 45 mins in.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

mike65 wrote:
    Just a linky-poo for those who did'nt hear RTEs flagship programme down in the Deise this morning (Monday). It is part of a series on business in the regions.

Mike.

Nice one Mike. :)

That guy Frank O'Regan made his arguments for the University very badly I thought. Where do we get these limp wristed business men out of?

Nicky Fewer was a legend as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I've only listened to about 10 mins of that and Im impressed at how they managed to discuss a lot about what the city and region has going for it while putting forward the need for improved infrastructure.

Can I see a day where we'll have an excellent road to Dublin, 2 bridges to choose from and a university with a campus in Kilkenny, Waterford, Wexford, Clonmel etc..

I'd like to think so. Positivity and all that. They'll have to change the name of the University to U.S.E or something.. (University of the South East)..

I think it'd work. Lets hope the infrastructure goes in quickly.

Whats the latest on the new road to Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

I think they started on the carlow/castledermot bypass. dont quote me on that though.

kano476 wrote:
    I think they started on the carlow/castledermot bypass. dont quote me on that though.

You would seem to be correct. :)

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,2154,en.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Did anyone hear what Michael Martin had to say about WIT being upgraded to University "That there is no interference from Politicians" and that "outside experts will make the decision" and "legislation is already in place"

Smacks of the same expert groups that he had when he was Minister for Health - experts decided we didn't need radiotherapy. I Presume these same experts will tell the govt that the S.E does not need a university...

Anyone notice how all of a sudden since Michael Martin became minister for Jobs etc.. Cork has an abundance of new high quality job anouncements.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Micheal Martin looks after his own down in Cork-Cork always look out for their own patch- I reckon their uni would feel threatened by a high quality university just 70 miles away in Waterford/S East.Their collegs are naturally worried about loosing their student catchment to a S East university.

Anybody remember the students of Cork IT out protesting when WIT was last upgraded (to same as DIT I think); they wanted the same ofr theirs even though Cork city already has UUC- what misguided hypocrisy that was, it was a few years ago now though.

For me this highlights the importance of minestrial influence for this region once again.

mfitzy wrote:
    Micheal Martin looks after his own down in Cork-Cork always look out for their own patch- I reckon their uni would feel threatened by a high quality university just 70 miles away in Waterford/S East.Their collegs are naturally worried about loosing their student catchment to a S East university.

Anybody remember the students of Cork IT out protesting when WIT was last upgraded (to same as DIT I think); they wanted the same ofr theirs even though Cork city already has UUC- what misguided hypocrisy that was, it was a few years ago now though.

For me this highlights the importance of minestrial influence for this region once again.

Of course they feel threatened. I worked for a university and this is something that they would loose sleep over...

Luckily, the demographic case for a university has improved recently. We've had so many immigrants that the birth rate is quite high, as well as the increases that have existed since the celtic tiger. Leaving Cert. participation will rise again in 10 years, about the time it would take for a change in Waterford's status to kick in.

Isin't Cork 80 miles away, btw. Aside from Dublin, Waterford is the most isolated city in the country, and the least likely to benefit from infrastructure in other cities. It is 100 miles from Dublin, 80 from Limerick and 80 from Cork. Limerick, for example, is only about 60 miles from Galway or Cork.

Yes, what CIT et. el. did in the mid-90's after Waterford's upgrade was reprehensible. There is no doubt in my mind that if Waterford had gotten upgraded *alone* (i.e. effectively upgraded) it would be a university now. It makes my blood boil to think about it.

So, in summary, yes we very badly need ministerial influence. And I don't think a minister in Wexford or Kilkenny would necessarily be any good for the university either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

45 mins in there is something about a factory closing in Tallaght. Am I at the wrong part?:confused:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

About 47 mins I think freddie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That link is now superceded by the latest programme (Thursday).

Mike.

Advertisement