Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitting out new house

Options
  • 19-06-2006 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi All

We are plastering new build at the mo and in the process of buying

Kitchen appliances
    Tiles
    Wooden floors - walnut & white oak (solid)
    Bathroom stuff (jacuzzi), sinks, showers and toilets

Can ye please give advice on best value and experiences with any of the above. I live in south west - kerry/limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

As far as solid white oak flooring goes I reckon it's very nice Usually a very nice grain and colour. Also I think its one timber that goes with no matter what colour you paint the walls. As for Walnut flooring, it is fairly dark so it better be a bright enough room. In the right room it does look beautiful though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Walnut floor is also very soft, so dents very very easily.

As for appliances and bathroom fittings, the skys the limit.

Tiles are basically your choice and what you have to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Walnut floor is also very soft, so dents very very easily.

There is also Brazilian walnut, which is about three times harder than oak, so it won't dent easily. As advised on this forum though, as its a dark floor, a glossy finish will show up scratches in the finish easier.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Bought all our appliances on ebay. Saved a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

A few idea's on the bathroom and en-suite.

Toilets
    Don’t get the 2 button toilet system ours sticks and drains the tank on a regular basis + the valve drips for a long time very annoying when trying to sleep.

Bath
    We have a Jacuzzi bath. TBH only used it twice in about a year+ Use the shower more

Sinks
    Get the mixer tap and basin. Wife hates having to turn on both taps (will save the agro later.)

Shower
    Spend your money on the shower as that is what we use the most. We have a pump in the hot press which is really powerful (bit noisy but you can always turn it off)

Ebay has some great deals on showers and accessories

Garyh3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I can highly recommend Bosch appliances.
    They are the best I've had over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

For appliances you could try Sean Hennessey's in newcastlewest (I think). I dealt with them in Shannon and found them very good. They were very reasonable and very helpful. Also I was able to bring back all the packing which was a great help as there were about 8/9 black sacks of the white aeroboard(sp?) type stuff. Also free delivery!! Don't know how they compare to ebay as I didn't look into that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

one thing I found very handy was to do a shop around in Dublin, Did electrical was the cheapest I found. Then for a €10 deposit I got a list of all the electrical goods and the prices they were going to sell them to me at. Then I took the list back to my home town and showed all the electical goods people the list.

While they first started tut-tuting and muttering about cost prices, I found one shop that matched the prices that I had shown them. I saved myself about €400 doing this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You had to pay them a tenner for a quote!! Bit of a joke that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

No it wasn't a tenner for a quote. It was a deposit so that I got a printed out receipt of all the prices. I went back and got my tenner later. It was worth it as then the shops I went to could see that it was a genuine price list and I was able to haggle really well then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I bought all my kitchen appliances off www.trade-appliances.co.uk I got Neff oven and hob, siemens fridge and bosch diswasher. All cheaper than I could source in Ireland even after the €100 delivery charge. Delivered on time and in good condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Tobi2

For tiles and bathroom fittings etc, can highly recommend McElligotts in Castleisland.
    Look beyond the dislpays and go away and think about what you want before you go back to buy.
    Tiles, again they have loads and having been to all the tile stores in Kerry...well most of them, they had a great selection, but not all shiny and displayed like other stores.
    Look beyond the display and think before you buy.
    Make a list of what you don't want and then you eliminate most of the stuff you see.
    Also I would advise looking at catalogues for bathroom stuff as much of what is on display is run of the mill/sells quickly, but you may want something different.
    Most stores can usually order anything you want.
    Have fun
    Tobi

Advertisement