Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Certificate Applied

Options
  • 19-06-2006 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Just wondering who has done the LCA and who is doing it? I,ve decided to choose it over the normal Leaving Cert. Can anyone tell me what it's like, ****?, ok?, great?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭MB44

no offence but its for very stupid people. your best off doing a a pass leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

MB44 wrote:
    no offence but its for very stupid people. your best off doing a a pass leaving cert.

oh get over yourself. its completely different subjects

nope, afraid i dont know anyone doing it. but good luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Just don't
    It's a running joke
    Just don't

Do all pass subjects if you must
    but don't do the LCA

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭MB44

thanks jimi_t at least you agree with me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

LCA is a waste, I'm sorry to say. You should attempt the normal LC, or if you really can't, just drop out and get an apprenticeship somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭xnightwishx

I agree...you should attempt the normal leaving cert even at ordinary level everything you'll have more qualifications. Maths in lca is even easier than foundation maths as is english. I dunno about the other subjects though. It's usually for people who don't wish to go to college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭AppleBack

Is it really that bad? Does anyone know what kind of jobs I can get with it?! I'm really worrying now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

It would be a good idea to not do he LCA and infact do a fetac foundation or similer course which can take one year and then progress to get a level 2 or 3 or
    even 5 fetac cert which is the same qualification as a LC cert and with fetac certs you can even join third level institutions and get decent jobs than you wouldent with the LCA.
    you have a much more diverse range of subjects to choose from not a narrow choice which the LC and LCA provide.
    I do not think the LCA is worthless but it is a lesser qualification than the fetac or traditional leaving cert.
    The moral is that the FETAC route is probably the way to go and is MUCH less stressfull than the LC.
    Employers also regard fetac certs as a higher qualification than the LCA provided you finish the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

the leaving cert applied ................:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

LCA is nothing to do with the old style Leaving Cert.
    For people who do not want to cram and regurgitate info it is an excellent opportunity to show real world skills like working alone, working with others, meeting deadlines etc.

Your school in fairness should have been through all this with you.

Some of the responses you have got here betray a nasty snobbish element that sadly is quite prevalent on boards.ie. When your world is quite limited and privileged, it is easy to think you're better than others and make remarks such as you have seen here. It says a lot about the posters. Ignore most of them - only accept opinions from people who have had some experience of the LCA. The others have no idea what they are talking about, as their responses show.

Whatever you do, try your best, don't put other people down for not having the same opportunites or abilities as you, don't think you're better than anyone else and you will do well in the real adult world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

i did the lca two years ago. we spent most of our time at particial work and we even went to the grey hounds with our year haed as part of the maths we did in the lca.

I am not bashing or condeming the LCA as i simply saying you should consider obtaining a fetac cert afterwards as the fetac route is a practical progression from the LCA.
    I am no info spitting mindless individual and i dont think very much of the leaving cert because of the amount of crap you must learn and simply reproduce
    on paper without much thought.
    I think the LCA is a good option depending on your needs but sadly employers dont seem to think too much of it in comparison with a FAS or FETAC cert.
    Most people wont even need the amount of useless info you learn in the LC cycle and consequently the LCA and fetac certs set you up for life with practical, usefull, skills.
    Who ever learnt teamwork in the LC course for example.
    I am in no way snobby as i honestly dont feel superior to someone because they take the LCA but i am simply saying the fetac option which is very similer to the LCA is a better option than the traditional leaving cert or simply progress to a fetac cert from the LCA but i understand everyone isnt on the same playing field in regards to education and people have to realize everyone doesent have the same options or that everyone aspires to become scientists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

spurious wrote:
    LCA is nothing to do with the old style Leaving Cert.
    For people who do not want to cram and regurgitate info it is an excellent opportunity to show real world skills like working alone, working with others, meeting deadlines etc.

Your school in fairness should have been through all this with you.

Some of the responses you have got here betray a nasty snobbish element that sadly is quite prevalent on boards.ie. When your world is quite limited and privileged, it is easy to think you're better than others and make remarks such as you have seen here. It says a lot about the posters. Ignore most of them - only accept opinions from people who have had some experience of the LCA. The others have no idea what they are talking about, as their responses show.

Whatever you do, try your best, don't put other people down for not having the same opportunites or abilities as you, don't think you're better than anyone else and you will do well in the real adult world.

finally, someone not completely up their own asses, with something intelligent to say
    *applauds*

but Naikon's point is a good one two I think, i dont really know much about it to be honest, but i just know its a much more practical course, with different subjects,

For people who are saying to do ordinary level standard leaving cert, clearly this person has decided NOT to do that, but heaven forbid you should show any support...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭AppleBack

I don't consider myself to be completely stupid, despite the fact that I did Foundation maths in the Junior Cert. :o And I remember searching through the forums here for other threads on the LC and one member said it's mostly students who get into alot of trouble and don't like school who do it. I'm hardly what you would call a troublemaker, I,ve only ever gotten detention twice for arriving late to school(which is also embarassing! :o ) and it's not that I dont like learning its just staring at a book for hours bores me ****less. I chose the LC because I thought it might be like Woodwork in which we learn from the teacher showing us how to do it. I'm also pretty sure that students can't change their minds now on wheater to do the LC or LCA which means I'll just have to stick with LCA.

One more question and it's probably the stupidest question ever but does anyone know what a junior technician does? I think they repair PCs don't they? Thanks for the help!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Junior technician i think is just a name for some type of electronic engineer, mechanic, computer something or other who doesn't have much experience.
    Whan they get more work experience they'll become a senior technician and make more money.

I dont believe you are "stupid" just cause you done jc foundation maths.
    You are probably much better at real world stuff like woodwork which i am **** at.
    I agree the whole idea of staring at books for hours can be a waste especially
    if you **** up on the day of exams and have no backup like continual assesment
    or repeats.
    Stick with the LCA and progress if you want to FETAC, or simply get a job afterwards and with experience you will get a decent job.
    Experience is very important to Employers. More you have the better pay and jobs will be availible.
    You probably know this yourself.
    Best of luck to you whatever route you take and dont believe for one second that th "LC" is the only means of obtaining a decent job;)

By the way a junior technician applies technological principles in a practical hands on manner. More experience leads to the title of
    "senior technician" with better benefits and pay in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 johnc22

hey guys ,,, willl the lca be sufficient to join the gardai?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

johnc22 wrote: »

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

johnc22 wrote: »
    I'd doubt it...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 johnc22

very negative blue - army,,,,,,,,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mmad

you have to get a merit at LCA to become a guard.

Advertisement