Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert in 1 year - subjects?

Options
  • 19-06-2006 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Hey all. I never ended up moving over when I was planning to. I'm gonna go to the Institute next year and I'm doing the leaving. I have AS levels already but they're of no use to me. I am under no circumstances using any longer than 1 year to do this. What subjects have short enough courses? I'm planning on English, maths, Spanish, Finnish (already fluent), physics. Not sure about what else to do. Sorta toying with home ec., economics, business and geography. Any advice very welcome! Thanks.

Comments

Economics could easily be done in a year.

(i picked it up in september, an hour a week, and i'm looking for an A on wednesday).

Geography depends on how well you already know the basic stuff? Like if you had "A standard" junior Cert Geography you've already gotten most of the Physical sorted.

I think with the new course it could be done in a year also.

Physics, i don't think so.. But then again, depends on you're strengths and capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

business is short from what i know
    as is applied maths but you need a head for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

LadyLotts wrote:
    Hey all. I never ended up moving over when I was planning to. I'm gonna go to the Institute next year and I'm doing the leaving. I have AS levels already but they're of no use to me. I am under no circumstances using any longer than 1 year to do this. What subjects have short enough courses? I'm planning on English, maths, Spanish, Finnish (already fluent), physics. Not sure about what else to do. Sorta toying with home ec., economics, business and geography. Any advice very welcome! Thanks.

forget about geo and physics in a year unless you know alot about the basics

If you're any good with Maths and Physics, then I recommend Applied Maths. Basically it applies Physics to real world problems. You could do it in under 6 months if you really tried. The paper involves answering 6 out of 10 questions, so a lot of choice there.

Hope that helps! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

If next years paper is goin 2 be as easy as this years I wud def do geog very easy!!

If you have an interest in business I wud def do it but if ur like me & have no interest in wat so ever I wud strongly wouldnt recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

i took up ag science this year and it is quite easy to do in a year yr. we finished the course in the tute just after christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

home ec isnt really possible to do in a year because of all the practicals...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

applied maths is easy enough and its a short course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

If maths and physics are your strengths then go for them. I know jack **** about AS levels but if you did well in maths and/or physics you should give maths, physics and applied maths a go. The physics course isint that long and if you have a head for it you should definetley. Avoid History at all costs. If you do chem and biology you should consider Ag. Science; I hear there is a lot of overlap between Chem/Bio and Ag.Science
    Again im repeating what has been said but Economics is definetely one to consider
    You should get preety good tuition in the institute so no matter what u pick u should be able to do well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

home ec isnt really possible to do in a year because of all the practicals...
    no it is possible in one year! my friend took it up this year and she had the course covered by april!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Chloé Emily

wouldn't recomend home ec but could have something to do with my teacher...i ended up chaanging to art at christmas in fifth year.I'd give business a shot quite easy common sense as long as you know howto answer the questions.I did french spanish business and art .you dont have to be good at maths at all for lc business (very very little accounting in it just a handfull of formulae ...which you could probably ignore if you really struggled with it )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

business and geography are idiot proof courses. all you need is a bit of common sense. they could easily be done in 1 year if you're up for it.

maths, english, finnish, spanish, physics + those 2 would be enough in 1 year. remember, you only need 6 really so you can afford to neglect 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

i regret not doing business...from what ive heard of everyone that i know that does it is that it is PISS-comon sense...so i would advise you to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Business can be done in about 4 months if you have tallent and/or interest. If not, it's still do-able in under a year.

Applied maths is a very short course. However, it can be difficult if you can't grasp the whole "applied" notion. I took higher maths and physics and did well in both, but I couldn't get my head around the whole diagrams and such end of app maths (guess I'm more the pure "maths for the sake of maths" type). But if you think you can, it can easily be done in a year or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Of my subjects:

Barring revision/practicing past papers, Applied Maths could probably be done in 2-3 months, in reality. Once you have a good grasp of algebra, trigonometry and calculus, getting upwards of 70% is simple. I would strongly recommend it, particularly as mathsy-type study can be refreshing when you've spent a lot of time learning things (which I assume you'll have to).

I wouldn't, however, recommend business. It is a very very easy subject, but it's mind-numbingly uninteresting and there is actually quite a lot you need to learn. I found it was quite a time-consuming subject to study.

History - I'd say it's virtually impossible to do in a year.

French - if you've any knowledge of the language, I'd recommend doing French. There really is no 'course' to speak of, so it all really comes down to your standard of the language, which can easily be improved through targeted study.

That's all I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Accountin could easily be covered in a year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

classics is easy to do in a year, as is biology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I think you're all missing the point here...

FINNISH?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

I repeated and did Art and Geography for the first time.

Art is defintely a one year subject if you're fairly good at drawing and there's so much option in the exam.

Geography - DON'T DO IT. It took up most of my time since there was so much on the course.

I had to do new poets and texts for English too along with the new Irish course.

Even though I didn't do Business in the space of a year I'd recommend it. Easily done in a year, if not six months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

biology
    No way. Way too much detail in the course. It would be very hard to get an A1, if not impossible. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I would do geography because it is quite easy if you work at it.
    Business is a good option if you put the work in and you might actually use some of the info from business in later life depending on your stance;)
    Stay away from biology because it is long and difficult and because people who are going for medical careers need it iand it is marked quite hard in comparison to other courses.
    Applied maths is good if you excellent in maths, otherwise stay away because the the course can be very tricky and hasnt been updated since the mid seventies apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

my advice is to AVOID home ec like the plague:D massive course and the worst subject choice i ever made:p Economics is good though, short course, easily do-able in a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

Youll just have to play to your strengths.
    If you like economics and newsey stuff the geography and econ
    If youre good at maths then Higher Maths, Physics and AppMaths
    If you have 2 languages then do them both
    Pass Irish
    If youre good at absorbing info then Business History Classical
    If youre the scientific type then chemistry Biology and Ag Science
    etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Business Economics and Geogrpahy are very easily doable in a year if you work your ass off, they link into one another @ times aswell which is very helpful =o)

Social has practicals etc and I've been told it's always a horrible paper so wouldn't recommend it.

Loads of my friends do biology (most got A in JC) and hated it, in fact it was the exam they all dreaded this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

one word
    MUSIC!:D (oh and god i dont think biology could be done in a year!we had an amamzing teacher and it took us the whole two years!):confused: but seriously-music could be done in day..oh providing ya can do the practical...thats kind of an important factor right there....good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Institute Physics is a very short course, especially if you're committed/good at it. I only took it up because I was repeating, but when we finished the course I was thinking to myself, "is that it?" Not that it's a walkover now, but it's a nice short course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Kwekubo wrote:
    Institute Physics is a very short course, especially if you're committed/good at it. I only took it up because I was repeating, but when we finished the course I was thinking to myself, "is that it?" Not that it's a walkover now, but it's a nice short course.

Yeah I thought the same. I heard it was going to be so hard but ended up wondering what all the fuss was about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TommyGrav

If you gotta bit of application you can do your leaving cert in 4 months, I did, and I'm expecting over 500.

Advertisement