Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Sciences

Options
  • 19-06-2006 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

i put social sciences down as my first choice and wondered if its any good ?? my cuz is in 2nd year and she likes it but all i can get from her is that the social life is good!!

and another thing do i really need to be ther for like the 4th of sept thats like tha actual opening date cos i got my debs on the 7th, it just seems a lot earlier than any other college??can someone plesae explain??!!

another thing i am applying for on campus accom. i am coming from kerry so can i be almost guaranted a place if i get a place on the course?? and wat buildings can people reccomend cos they all look pretty good but thats only on paper!!

most importantly though as my cuz has pointed out the nite life is good, but she is a bit of a p##s head so if theres drink she will have fun(not that we dont share that opinion) but is it really that good???!!

would appreciate some replies i only got a few days to make definite my cao!!

:(:(:(

Is socail sciences all its cracked up to be? 1 vote

yes
    0%
    no
    100%
    Scraggs 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

no
    THE COURSE.I'm not actually doing Social Science but I've two friends that are... they both really enjoy it but find some parts of the course [like Social Policy for example] quite dull but then theres Psychology and other modules that they really enjoy. It just depends really! If you have any specific questions you can PM me if you want and I'll find out for ya/

DEBS I don't think actual classes start then its just registration as far as I know. I missed a few days this year coz I had to go to Debs'. [Word of advice drinking too much the night of your debs is not the best of ideas:o ]

SOCIAL Social life is excellent especially if you do get campus.. I'm not much of a pisshead [well not anymore;) ] but I've had some savage nights out. The main thing is to get involved with things and make new friends etc.

Good luck with the results... and if you do end up coming to UCD do pop into our forum and say Hi!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I was warned by all to avoid social science by all my friends who were in the course and I wisely took their advice as I saw many people drop the class in 1st year and those who remained suffer pain. Archaeology all the way IMO ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I know a few people in social science and they all think its great!I also hear that the social life in the course is pretty damn good and you meet lots of people. (tis a pity venusinfurs is banned cos he will be one of your peers in social science....lucky you;)

Now the bad news.....you wont be garunteed a place on campus just cos you're from kerry.Dont put down any preference on your accomodation form for Belgrove,roebuck or merville as you'll be lucky to get any. I dont know if its still available but theres a place in Donneybrook called Mucross which offers accom to first years and it is great craic. Its all girls but you meet loads there all from the country so if I was doing first year again I would defo consider going there. Dont bank on getting campus accomodation and look round at your other options.

As for missing the first couple of days....work wise you wont miss anything but I did find the first few days of lectures really good for meeting people cos everyones lost and so you can go to lunch and the bar with lots of different people. Its amazing how quicky groups form even in college so I would say the first couple of weeks are crucial for making friends. Saying that I cant see any probs you taking a day or two of for your debs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Who is VenusInFurs???

Niall Dolan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bribri

ok maybe i need to think bout it a bit more and i think i will be able to come down the morn of the debs and go back on the sunday or summit!!i guess i'll just have to work it out!!

thanks for all the advice i was kinda iffy bout some of it but i still think i want to do the course i really want to get into social services.but who knows i did chem today and ended up takin the pass paper after the examiner let me look at the honours its a laugh really!!!

ya any more advice would be really appreciated from anyone!

o scraggs by the way your signature"san jose...sure thats the back of beyonds" i live where they shot that the ferry is down the road from me and the pub front is the front of my friends house and the woman filling the car is a friend of my dads!!!LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The guy who says 'sure thats the back of beyonds',his accent is really wierd!!Isnt that caherciveen/derrynane where they shot that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Hi bribri,
    bribri wrote:
    i put social sciences down as my first choice and wondered if its any good ?? my cuz is in 2nd year and she likes it but all i can get from her is that the social life is good!!

I took Sociology as one of my subjects as part of Arts during 1st year and I did find it very tough. It is a subject that requires alot of hard work, independent study and thought. In first year your modules will consist of... Foundations of Sociological Thought, Introduction to Sociology, Contemporary Irish Culture and Society and Sociology in Practice. All difficult modules that require lots of reading but all are definitely interesting in their own ways, Foundations of Sociological Thought which revolves around Sociological theories of Karl Marx, Max Weber and Emilie Durkheim is quite horrible though. I haven't done Social Policy but I know a few people who have done it and the consensus is that it is alot more enjoyable than Sociology. You also choose a further subject/minors/electives along with these subjects.

More info

bribri wrote:
    and another thing do i really need to be ther for like the 4th of sept thats like tha actual opening date cos i got my debs on the 7th, it just seems a lot earlier than any other college??can someone plesae explain??!!

Lectures do not begin until Monday September 11th. The reason you are in college the week before hand is to register and to recieve your college and course introductions/orientations. You will not know what days you have to be in on that week until you recieve your place. Chances are 50/50 you will have to be there on that date but there's no guessing for definite.
    bribri wrote:
    most importantly though as my cuz has pointed out the nite life is good, but she is a bit of a p##s head so if theres drink she will have fun(not that we dont share that opinion) but is it really that good???!!

UCD is one of those places you will either absolutely love or absolutely hate, there's no in between. Some people drink most nights, some people don't. With regards to nightlife it's about who you know, if you come up with friends it will be easier to settle in. Social Poilcy is quite a large course and is very informal compared to many other courses so it will be a challenge to get to know people in your course. Get involved in college life. Clubs and Societies are your best bet.

I changed my mind on the last day of the CAO deadline so have a good think over the course for the next week. You said that you want to get involved in social services. That's a plus because may people only choose Social science just because ''it sounds interesting'' and not because their heart and soul is in it. Ignore the poll, it's your choice and if your comfortable with your decision don't look back. Good luck.

Advertisement