Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this Possible?

• 19-06-2006 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37

Hey,

I was just wondering if its possible to do the following....

I have 3 pcs:

PC1 = WinXP Pro SP2 with 2 Network cards installed
    PC2 = Linux Distro (ubuntu 5.10icon7.gif)
    PC3 = Lindows
    PCs 2 and 3 will be connected to PC1 using cross-over cables.

Can i use ICS on PC1 so that PCs 2 and 3 have internet access and can file share with each other and PC1 >> will PC1's connections need to be bridged?

I have a crappy dial up connection and am interested in it more out of curiosity than anything else.....so this means i will not have static IPs from eircom to play with..

I will give it a fair go anyway just for the heck of it buts its gonna be a few days before i can get cross over cables for ICS, so apologies in advance if there is no fast response.

Macphisto

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

macphisto wrote:
    Can i use ICS on PC1 so that PCs 2 and 3 have internet access
    Yes. Enable ICS on your dial up connection. In theory, it shoulld work, but it may be that only one machine will get an IP. Just make sure that demand-dialling is turned off (if the option exists).
    and can file share with each other and PC1 >> will PC1's connections need to be bridged?
    That I can't tell you. In theory, if ICS is a stripped-down version of the RRAS engine that comes with windows server, then it should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 macphisto

seamus wrote:
    Yes. Enable ICS on your dial up connection. In theory, it shoulld work, but it may be that only one machine will get an IP. Just make sure that demand-dialling is turned off (if the option exists).

Hi Seamus,

I'll give that a go. Thanks for reminding me about dial on demand :-)

seamus wrote:
    That I can't tell you. In theory, if ICS is a stripped-down version of the RRAS engine that comes with windows server, then it should work.

I guess i'll have to wait ands see what the story is with this one.

Thanks Again,

Macphisto

Advertisement