Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with linksys router

• 19-06-2006 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

It just won't work!!

I have used both the cd install wizard and manually used 192.168.1.1 and entered the exact same settings as are in my original bt modem settings. PPPoe, llc, vpi 8, vci 35, saved. Nothing.

The DSL light just won't come on at all. Its a linksys wag54gs.

Anyone use one of these? Its driving me insane. The only way it will work is if I use my esat modem as normal and connect it to the linksys via cable. Even then it works - for about ten minute until the connection dies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

HavoK wrote:
    Even then it works - for about ten minute until the connection dies.
    What dies - the DSL connection, or the Linksys router? If you've got a really bad line that drops out every few minutes, then maybe the Linksys can't even get logged in in the first place. If the Linksys itself is dying after 10 minutes, then it's obviously broken, so there's not much point wasting your time trying to use it as a modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Neither - the esat modem still shows dsl, and the linksys is still on - just no connection. For example, a few minutes ago I had the esat mode set up as normal. I then plugged the ethernet cable from the esat modem into the linksys one, and enabled wireless on my pc.

I then proceeded to browse the net wireless on my laptop and desktop grand....after a few minutes it justs stops working, ie, it says "cannot find www.boards.ie" or whatever.

Basically I just want to use the fuppin Linksys modem as the only modem and be gone with the esat one entirely. And use the linksys one wired to my pc and then use my laptop wirelessly.

Heres a picture of the setup page. Can you go over what settings should be going in there for esatbt, using the linksys as a modem? In case I missed anything.

My last router - a sitecom - was rubbish but it was just simple plug and play. Why is the linksys one so damn hard to set up?

If someone could just look at the picture and tell me what settings need to be input into all those boxes, it would be great. Tried the standard BT settings and no joy at all. Is there something with dchp I should be doing? I want to use this as my normal modem and wireless point, and throw out my old zyxel one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

You only need to set the DHCP up if you want dynamic ip's on each of the machines connecting. If you have assigned each PC an ip address in the 192.168.1.x range then it's fine. Set the gateway to the router ip, as well as the dns. (You could also set dns on PC's to the DNS settings provided by ISP but usually if the router has them configured then just use router ip instead).

Edit: Have you updated firmware on the linksys to latest version? Might help.
    Edit 2: Settings look fine to me.

HavoK wrote:
    Neither - the esat modem still shows dsl, and the linksys is still on - just no connection. For example, a few minutes ago I had the esat mode set up as normal. I then plugged the ethernet cable from the esat modem into the linksys one, and enabled wireless on my pc.

I then proceeded to browse the net wireless on my laptop and desktop grand....after a few minutes it justs stops working, ie, it says "cannot find www.boards.ie" or whatever.
    There are 3 things that could be wrong at that point - the DSL link could be down, the Linksys could ave locked up, or your wireless link could have gone down. There's not much point in wasting everybodies time until you verify which of those 3 problems is happening.

When "it justs stops working", can you still access the Linksys from your laptop? (http://192.161.1.1) If you can access the Linksys interface, can you access the internet by IP addresses - http://82.195.136.250/, for example. If you can't access the Linksys from your laptop, can you verify if it's a wireless problem or a problem with the Linksys itself by using a wired connection?

There's a "View Logs" option on the Security Menu. On my Dlink router it includes information on PPPoE failures. If the Linksys logs include similiar information, it might be helpful in figuring out why you can't get it to connect.

• Advertisement

When the connection stops working, I get a connection refused message trying to access the router.

Its definately not a wireless problem. My PCi wireless card and laptop card connecting perfectly with my friends network. I simply cannot get the linksys to work whatsoever. Its definately not a problem with my actual dsl as when its connected using zyxel modem it works perfectly no problems.

Forget the connecting it to the esat zyxel modem, it just doesnt work full stop as a regular modem even with all the correct esat bt settings.

Bringing it back tomorrow, if its honestly THIS much trouble to install linksys are not getting my money ever again. Other then that, the only other thing I can think of is that its faulty.

HavoK wrote:
    When the connection stops working, I get a connection refused message trying to access the router.

Its definately not a wireless problem. My PCi wireless card and laptop card connecting perfectly with my friends network.
    Which doesn't mean anything. Your next door neighbour could have a wireless network set up that's interfering with yours.
    I simply cannot get the linksys to work whatsoever. Its definately not a problem with my actual dsl as when its connected using zyxel modem it works perfectly no problems.

Forget the connecting it to the esat zyxel modem, it just doesnt work full stop as a regular modem even with all the correct esat bt settings.

Bringing it back tomorrow, if its honestly THIS much trouble to install linksys are not getting my money ever again. Other then that, the only other thing I can think of is that its faulty.
    Whatever.

Have you checked the connection staus on your modem at
    http://192.168.1.1/ADSLCStatus.htm

Well I brought the linksys to my friends house to try use it there, and same story. Put in all his settings and still no DSL. Used the setup wiard when manual didn't work and let the setup automatically apply the Eircom settings (already on the cd). Still no joy. I think at this stage its obvious its a faulty unit.

I had a sitecom wireless router previous to this and it worked no problem (well, it didn't actually thats why I got this one, but you know what I mean - apart from the crappy signal etc it did work). There is no network near mine that could be interfering for the simple reason none of the houses next to mine are lived in yet :)

Thanks for the help guys, I am just going to bring this back tomorrow and get something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

It happens, just get them to replace the unit and all should be dandy but I'd strongly advise you to stick with Linksys, best brand out there at the moment even with the odd failure, pity some (experts lol) people here aren't very helpful with their comments. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 snipe3000

HavoK wrote:
    It just won't work!!

I have used both the cd install wizard and manually used 192.168.1.1 and entered the exact same settings as are in my original bt modem settings. PPPoe, llc, vpi 8, vci 35, saved. Nothing.

The DSL light just won't come on at all. Its a linksys wag54gs.

Anyone use one of these? Its driving me insane. The only way it will work is if I use my esat modem as normal and connect it to the linksys via cable. Even then it works - for about ten minute until the connection dies.

Does the linksys wag54gs not also need an adsl modem, as in it is only a router not a router/modem combined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Nope it's a modem/router combo. You're thinking of the WRT54G.

I returned it and got the BT Voyager modem/router - laugh if you may, but the range is freakin' excellent, can use it wayyy out at the end of the garden, can't believe I ever survived with that sitecom POS that could barely reach into my room next door. Working perfectly after entering the settings in about 20 seconds. :D

Plus, it was a tenner less then the linksys and came with a free turbo-g usb adaptor :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Cool, glad you sorted the problem.

MC

Advertisement