Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell XP reinstall

• 19-06-2006 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi

I hope this is the right place for my query - I have a Inspiron 6000 and is trying to reinstall a fresh copy of XP Prof. The problem is that Dell support says I should be able to initiate a factory restore by pressing a key-sequence on boot, but the utility does not appear.

Furthermore, the website says I should be able to run a utility that will create a XP cd for me, but that is nowhere to be found either.

I located the XP setup files, but I cannot create a bootable cd.

Microsoft has a utility for startup disks, but it would doesn't help as my laptop is without a stiffy drive.

Any advice would be appreciated, if I cannot get an answer tonight I'll have to speak to Dell tomorrow.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

What key(s) are you pressing on boot to bring utility up?

Edit: Just in case you didn't read it:

How to create OS CD

How to restore OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

irlrobins wrote:
    What key(s) are you pressing on boot to bring utility up?

Edit: Just in cae

Dell support said "CTRL - F11" when the DELL logo appears during POST

Yep that's right. If it's not coming up it's not there. You didn't remove or change any partitions by any chance did ya?

irlrobins wrote:
    Yep that's right. If it's not coming up it's not there. You didn't remove or change any partitions by any chance did ya?

I used PartitionMagic to split up the large partition, but didn't modify any other partitions that were there.

mmm that might have fecked the hidden partition where the restore was written.
    You could always borrow someone else's Dell Windows XP install CD. Just use the key that's on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop and you'll be legit.

• Advertisement

irlrobins wrote:

I found the Dell recovery partitions (with Knoppix) and all seem intact. Would it not be possible to download the app (Symantec Ghost?) and initiate recovery or use a boot manager (Partition Magic's) to kick off the recovery partition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

u should consider putting a clean install of XP on and not use the dell image if at all possible, as so much rubbish is thrown in with the dell build, this bundled stuff really tries to dictate what software u use by default, and they include so much of it, u probably wont use alot of it so why hog space /resources with it.

i aint anti dell btw, all vendors do this.. .. i have a new dell pc myself and love it !

Advertisement