Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finger picking

Options
  • 19-06-2006 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I'm going back to guitar after a break of 10 years and i'm wondering are ther any resources (easy to follow) regarding fingerpicking for guitar i.e. being able to finger pick the basic chords of A, EM, D, C Maj, G. It sounds better than a plec. I'd love to learn everybody hurts by REM and you need to finger pick to get the total effect.

Any help/advice on this would be great. Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Everybody Hurts is really easy to play with a plec

There's not a lot to it... play D and just go down and up plucking each string, before you switch to the next chord take your finger off G and play that open and then play the G chord plucking the E, D, G, e strings in turn and then back and then go back to D chord... repeat a lot...

Then, while still holding down G pluck the E, D, G strings, move your left hand so you're fretting the F# note on the E string and pluck the E, D, G strings then do the same as you did with the D and G chords only this time use Em and A.

Then back to the start... there's another chord progression I just can't remember it...

Anyway yeh, love that song :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

For finger picking, use your thumb for the 2 bass strings, utilise your 4 remaining fingers for each other string, takes a while to get the hang of it but makes for much nicer acoustic playing than a pick, really lets you get the most of the instrument.

The above post nicely describes how to play the song but do fingerpick - its good for you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Or you could use your thumb for the 3 bass strings and your first 3 fingers for the top strings. I never use my 4th finger but its up to you.

Or you could use your thumb for the 3 bass strings and your first 3 fingers for the top strings. I never use my 4th finger but its up to you.
    :eek:
    But then how can you play 5 string chords???!!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

You might also find interest in a Flamenco training book. Not only is Flamenco fun to play, but like straight classical it will teach you finger independence and build up your technique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Arpeggiate through chords you know alrerady using your thumb index and middle fingers. This is called p i m a

lesson.php?num=9&category=Lesson

go from low to high and back up, you are now fingerpicking. Flamenco would probably be a little too confusing to start plus they also use the little finger across a braod range of styles, a classical guitar grade one book with illustration and tabbed notation would be perfect. Note on nails, file them to a slight curvature less extreme than a plec and keep just long enough for comfortable plucking.

Good Luck \]

steve

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

:eek:
    But then how can you play 5 string chords???!!!! :p

With a plectrum.

dublinario wrote:
    With a plectrum.
    Jeff Beck wrote:
    Plectrums are for pansies

:p