Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concidering a Tatoo!

Options
  • 19-06-2006 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hey! Im concidering getting a small tatoo on my shoulder blade, the only problem is i dont know what its gonna be yet. Im just wondering dose anyone know a good site for symbols not nessicarily tatoos. I would like to find somthing historical with many different interpitations. Anyone got any sugestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

It sounds as though you're looking to get a tattoo just for the sake of having a tattoo, which is a bad idea as if the tattoo has no personal meaning what's to stop you from hating it in 5 or 10 years time? Who's to say that some crazy cult won't use the same symbol as theirs, or something such, to give you every reason to regret the tattoo when you've no reason to be happy about it. If you're going to get a tattoo get something personal, otherwise it can be a very long sentence just for the sake of being cool/fashionable, if you happen to see a design and feel that you really like it make sure to mull it over and be certain before you get it done. At this point everyone and their dog has celtic bands and various other symbols as tattoo so make sure you are certain you want it and aren't just another sheep, although LASER removal is available it is not cheap or pain free and takes many treatments.

Then you also say you want it small, if you get too small a tattoo it may end up looking terrible as tattoos can blur a bit over the years.

If you're certain you want it then you might see something you'd like here:
    http://www.bmezine.com/tattoo/bme-tatt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

there have been a lot of threads like this lately, you aren't going to get a different response, I suggest you ask to have this closed before the flaming starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

It would appear we're idiots:
    garth_v wrote:
    The chap came on to ask for advice on a tattoo and as usual the idiots in the Tattoo/Piercings forum turn it into a flame-a-thon. Don;t you people have better things to do?

Maybe Garth could answer all the repetitive bull**** questions and the regulars can get on with the real questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sandie-B

i agree 100% with farohar and im sure any reputable tattooist will tell you the exact same.

oneofakind32 ; I'm sure ur a smart guy so u'll see that these guys are just trying to give you experienced advice. Tattoos are brilliant no matter what they are, provided they mean something to you, provided you can look at them and be reminded of a true memory and not just 'that time when those were deadly to have'

I wish you the best of luck with the design seek and i hope something meaningful inspires you so that your tattoo will invoke that inspiration in the future. :)

Sandie-B wrote:
    Tattoos are brilliant no matter what they are, provided they mean something to you, provided you can look at them and be reminded of a true memory and not just 'that time when those were deadly to have'

That's your opinion, fair enough.
    I totally disagree with a need to justify tattoos. I like the art, no more, no less. The only bit I'd agree with is about not feeling the need to get one as a fashion statement, that's lame, but there are a lot of people at it, they get what they deserve. A lot of people are getting heartograms covered up already, imagine carrying around a reminder of that spoiled white trash scum that is Bam Margera, when you grow up....hahaha. But it looked cool when it was on Bams wall.....or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

While I prefer to get tattoos which mean something to me (heck, they're ones I designed, I'd worry if they didn't mean anything to me) I don't see anything wrong with getting ones of images you just happen to see and really like the look of, as long as you're certain and not just doing it to be "cool" or something stupid. Many people get tattoos they pick out of the books at a studio and that's their choice but at the same time part of me feels that if you do things that way how honest are you really being when you say it wasn't just to be cool/be fashionable/rebel or just for the sake of it.
    Get a tattoo for one of those reasons and you deserve to end up regretting it, get one because you really want it and not for any other reason or person and you should still be happy with it (assuming the artist did a good job) decades from now.

It is quite possible that you could stroll into a studio rummage through the books and find something you feel suits you and you'd be happy with, afterall it's not unlike choosing a dinner off a restaurant menu, but I imagine most of those who do this aren't really doing it for themselves but rather for external factors (peers, parents, partner, etc...), afterall why else would you just stroll into a tattoo studio? As long as it's truely for you and no-one else go for it, otherwise you might want to really reconsider it and whether the oppinions of the others really means that much to you.

I'm not sure I've done a great job of putting across my view but hopefully people will understand what I mean...

There are people who turn into collectors of tattoos, on the way to a body suit most people cover up a lot of crap.

One reason to get a tattoo is because it means something to you, but to be honest I'd consider that a subset of the tattoo and bodymod culture and it's normally girlies remembering grandma or something, fair enough but dont try and put me in that category thanks.

<edit> that said I have designed one myself, but I handed off the idea to Jay Russell and am going to get him to draw it up, the main reason for it was that there are relevant bits in it to my lifepath but, the thing was I wanted colour work from a great artist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sandie-B

Blub2k4 wrote:
    it's normally girlies remembering grandma or something,

give us 'girlies' some credit :( were not all lame sheep!!

believe it or not, I drew my own tattoo (i let the dude fine tune it of course coz im def more a canvas than an artist). I had to do that coz it had never been done before and wasn't in his book or any other books i searched through in the other places I went to before going to him!! and it'll be the same with my next tattoo and any others I get after that.

i probably came on a bit strong and i realise now that i did make it sound like there was a need to justify a tattoo but i just really feel that it's something you have to think about and be sure of since it is going on your body and can't be removed as easily as a piercing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 olly

'girlies' ????? come on man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Hey! he may not be "hip" as you kids say nowadays but he gets his point across :)

• Advertisement

Wilburt wrote:
    Hey! he may not be "hip" as you kids say nowadays but he gets his point across :)

I'm 36 years of age, I think the next time "hip" is used in relation to me it could be followed by "replacement". :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 roofer

check the book of kells,some great stuff in there.tattoos for me are areminder of where i was and what i was thinking at a certain time.no regrets, they are like a personal diary. if it is just a design you want for yourself , go ahead.you would be as much a follower if you had to explain your tats to everyone. some people just like tattoos for no reason.

roofer;)

Advertisement