Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet Another How much thread

Options
  • 19-06-2006 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I need to know what you, as a web developer would charge for a site with the following features:

Database Driven - PHP/MySQL.

*Custom Built Content Management System (Create/View Edit Pages) with WYSIWYG style editor. (FCKeditor)
    *Infinite Section/Sub Sections System Custom Built again
    *Video/Audio Section of site with backend to upload FLV videos for progressive http streaming and Mp3s for the flash mp3 player
    - Also given option in page editor to insert video/audio objects from the video/audio sections.
    *About 5 static pages, the usual About Us, Contact Us (contact form) etc...
    *Complete news system, View News, Featured News. News Archive etc...
    *File Manager to upload files and photos for use in pages using page editor
    * Site Search Feature
    * RSS Feeds (static) on homepage
    * A complete custom built mailing list system. User can sign up to mailing lists, gets ID/Password to use when logging in to change preferences , ie their email address. Must be able to support .eml files as the client wants to use Outlook for creating the pages.
    * Attractive site design.

All these are all custom built and in a custom built 'Control' panel.

Believe it or not i've done this for 2K which I know is way below what it should be, or is it? One of my first big websites.
    The reason i've gone so low is that they a non-profit organisation and they can't budget anything over.

Just interested in opinions.

Thanks.

Donal/Webmonkey :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Webmonkey wrote:
    Believe it or not i've done this for 2K which I know is way below what it should be, or is it? One of my first big websites.
    The reason i've gone so low is that they a non-profit organisation and they can't budget anything over.

You have already done this system for a previous client for 2k? Was that client the non-profit one or is the client seeking the above system the non-profit one?

It's certainly a high end spec, i'm working on something similar myself at the moment so I would be very interested to hear other peoples opinions on price. I'd imagine that that the 5-6k range wouldn't be outside the bounds of possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

You have already done this system for a previous client for 2k? Was that client the non-profit one or is the client seeking the above system the non-profit one?

It's certainly a high end spec, i'm working on something similar myself at the moment so I would be very interested to hear other peoples opinions on price. I'd imagine that that the 5-6k range wouldn't be outside the bounds of possibility.
    The guy i'm doing for it now is part of a Non Profit organisation. - (When i said i've done this for 2k i mean i've most of the site done for the current client)
    I havn't done a site this complex before.
    5-6K - Yeah i was thinking something like this, well I orginally quoted him 3 - 4 but unfort. their budget wasn't high enough.
    Anyways thanks for the reply. Looking foward to seeing what others think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

To be honest a lot of it sounds like extensions to install in the CMS you're using ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

i'd be in the 5-6k camp myself , in the middle of redoing the site in my siggies with something similiar , wuold be interested to check out the site whats the address?

error9 wrote:
    To be honest a lot of it sounds like extensions to install in the CMS you're using ?
    Well the CMS is Custom built as well completly from scratch.

As for the address, well its Here

Don't use the tabs on top as I want to make them dynamically generate somehow as the sections are subject to change

• Advertisement

Webmonkey wrote:
    Well the CMS is Custom built as well completly from scratch.

Any advantage to this over a tried and tested CMS ? ... I'm coming at this purely from a "are you making work for yourself?" point of view ...

error9 wrote:
    Any advantage to this over a tried and tested CMS ? ... I'm coming at this purely from a "are you making work for yourself?" point of view ...
    Well I guess i didn't want the overhead of CMS's, rather build a custom solution that would be more flexible for me and easier to incorporate in the design.
    Obviously I havn't created a full featured CMS like professional ones. It is basically a system that allows you to view/add/edit pages and sections etc.

was just wondering ... I do the same from time to time ... just thought a lot of the features sound like addons for mambo or similar and that maybe you were making extra work for yourself

error9 wrote:
    was just wondering ... I do the same from time to time ... just thought a lot of the features sound like addons for mambo or similar and that maybe you were making extra work for yourself
    I think i might have a go with that later on sometime. It would save a hell a lot of time. Anyways thanks for the replys :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

i've always adopted the take a ready built CMS and take it apart and use what you need approach rather than from scratch

nice site BTW

• Advertisement

miju wrote:
    i've always adopted the take a ready built CMS and take it apart and use what you need approach rather than from scratch

nice site BTW
    Thanks

Advertisement