Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can a decent airgun be bought for

Options
  • 19-06-2006 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Would love to be able to shoot in the back yard (dont live in the city but theres houses near enough to where i live but would be perfect for an air rifle was wondering what could i pick up that would want to be reasonably accurate and prettyt cheap

open to sugestions of spring loaded guns and other things just has to be cheap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Em i realise a few of you are going to think im mad for this, and buying too much too soon well in terms of firearm ownership anyway.

But i was thinkin of getting an air rifle next year for target practice, cans and bottles etc, just good cheap fun basically and well id be in the same league as psitta, lookin for a good, yet cheap air rifle???? Any ideas

And yes i realise its next year but i like to know what im getting well in advance......

Some of us have to budget!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

pre charged pneumatic for the win, a single shot BSA PCP are great fun and supremely accurate. They are a bit pricey, you might get one for 800 euro with a pump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Im talking something for more around 200euro or 300 puching it that you cock with the barrel by breaking it that is pretty accurate doesnt need a huge amount of range and has iron sights but can be scoped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Im talking something for more around 200euro or 300 puching it that you cock with the barrel by breaking it that is pretty accurate doesnt need a huge amount of range and has iron sights but can be scoped
    Check out the Gamo Shadow range, they're the sort of thing it sounds like you're talking about-
    http://www.gamo.com/?ID=53&CategoryID=2

Break barrel, synthetic stock, open sights, grooved for a scope, in your price range (€200-300).

Someone's bringing them in, as they seem to be in every gunshop at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

idealy id be looking for something like the cz slavia

http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=4&ids=12&lang=en

• Advertisement

you are probably aware already but if going shooting vermin with an air rifle shot placement is so so vital, if you shoot badly you will be amazed by the amount of crows (more so with pigeons) you hit that will just get up and fly away.

The thing about springers aswell is that they have a severe recoil effect on the scope so you actually need a pretty decent scope and mounts or else the air rifle will shake it off zero in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Is there a license required for spring loaded guns with lets say a power of .12 joules?

I have heard of people getting them through customs marked as sporting goods.

edit: forget to mention that these lower power models are considered as 'AirSoft guns' and only fire plastic balls or bb's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

does any 1 here eat crow???

maglite wrote:
    does any 1 here eat crow???

well i don't but i cant speak for everyone. There was a guy on the radio one morning and he ate road kill, he had badger pie and fox stew. I guess he'd eat crow.

Why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

bobmeaney wrote:
    Is there a license required for spring loaded guns with lets say a power of .12 joules?
    I have heard of people getting them through customs marked as sporting goods.
    edit: forget to mention that these lower power models are considered as 'AirSoft guns' and only fire plastic balls or bb's
    Yes, a full licence is legally required at the moment. However, the new CJB does have a part in it that exempts any airgun (rifle or pistol) of less than one joule muzzle energy from needing a licence.

• Advertisement

i do alot of shotin crow is a good skill tester but have never eaten it i m qurious to see what it is like

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

I have an Air Arms TX200,.22, single shot, under barrel cocking lever- beautiful gun if a tiny bit heavy. Air Arms also do a carbine version with a slightly shorter barrel. Mine will consistently down rabbits at 35 - 40 yards - with a 6x40 scope. You can put pellet after pellet into a 2 pence piece at 35 yds. There are plenty of dealers in the UK offering these at about 280 - 300 £sterling complete with a scope and a decent slip. Cometa ( from Spain) do a very good cheaper range that get some really good reviews - in the UK they're going for about £150 - 170 but I reckon that for general hunting you can't beat the Air Arms TX200. Take a look at www.airgunbuyer.com for some really good deals.

George

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

maglite,

I came across a recipe in "Sporting Gun" awhile back for some sort of Crow dish but i wasn't brave enough to try it. if i can root it out and post it will you try it out and let the rest of us know how it turns out???:D

maybe it tastes like chicken:eek:

cut one open once tis very red i was kind of hoping somone else would be the guinne pig sorry

what do ye know about new springs/gas raws to increase power on a springer

Maglite - I grew up around Lincoln ( England) and Rook pie was a great springtime treat. Used to shoot young rooks just as they were starting to fly - could knock down a dozen or so in a very short time. You then take just the breast meat and bake in a pie with onions and carrots etc - Guiness as the base for the gravy is a great help and then bake it with a nice pastry crust! I know that Rooks aren't crows but they can't be that different!

George
    p.s. just in case you can't tell a crow from a rook there's a saying in Wiltshire "one rook's a crow, three crows is rooks" !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Originally Posted by vcsggl
    Guiness as the base for the gravy is a great help and then bake it with a nice pastry crust!
    and i'd say about 10 pints beforehand wouldn't go astray either :D
    Originally Posted by vcsggl
    I know that Rooks aren't crows but they can't be that different!.......just in case you can't tell a crow from a rook there's a saying in Wiltshire "one rook's a crow, three crows is rooks" !!

now there has been a fair few arguements about this (all in good nature mind..but none the less i'm gonna throw it out there)

Is there actually such thing as a crow ??????????
    or is it just a crow family and the term crow used as a generic term often for rooks, ravens, jackdaws, greys (hooded crows) and of course the aul mag {but we all no him}
    ie. out shooting foxes or whatever you see a black thing flyin and you shout "look a crow" :p

????????

spideog7

They're all crows but there all different! In England we have an awful lot of black crows - Corvus corone, their cousins the hooded crows- Corvus cornix, nearly all live in Ireland - and they're both distantly related to Corvus frugilegus - the rook!

Shoot 'em all ! And I think you're right about the guinness - better to drink it rather than putting it in crow/rook pies!!

Must say that there are an awful lot of hooded crows around my land in Clones.

George

Advertisement