Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katatonia

• 20-06-2006 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people here think of them?

Just got into them recently to be honest. Bought their 2 most recent albums and loved what I heard. Got my hands on some of their earlier stuff the other day and it's really good too. They played Ireland a couple of times in the last few years, Dorans and the Shelter I think. Hope they return before long.

Jonas, the singer, used to growl/scream in the black metal stylee but I heard he buggered his voice (maybe he should have read the 'how to scream' thread in the instruments section!) so now his vocals are really clear and melodic. Suits the music better I think.
    Their albums have been consistently great in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

bought the last album and thought it wasn't too bad. i was hoping for more, but i really haven't given it a chance tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

The Great Cold Distance?
    It's been in my cd changer for the last month now. There's 5, maybe 6 great songs on it. Really catchy. 1 or 2 filler tracks also though. The videos for the singles 'My Twin' and 'Deliberation' were pretty cool too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I saw them in the Shelter about 4/5 years ago. They were really excellent but strangely I've never bought anything by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Been a fan of these for a good few years - saw them both in the Shelter & in Dorans. Really great band - have all their stuff.
    Hope they play again soon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i have only really heard "last fair deal gone down" and "viva emptiness". I like them though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭haunted-room

I have all their records and would say im a pretty obsessed fan! LOL! Get discouraged ones for those cold summer days in your room with the curtains shut.:D
    Awesome band, but I havnt really gotten into the newest record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Yea there's something about Katatonia that I really love. Their songs are written really well with some great chords that it make it very atmospheric and touching, something you rarely find in music heavy music these days.

I have Brave Murder Day (from the old days) which has Mikael Åkerfeldt lending a hand on vocals. It's a pretty good listen but the drums sound a bit drum-machine-ish at times. I have the latest three albums too which are quite a bit different with the clean vocals and nice production. Pity they didn't support Opeth last week instead of Primordial. (boooo.....hisssss)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Really like them. Saw them in Dorans and thought they were brilliant. Would like to see them again as I know their stuff better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Glad some people really like them..go Katatonia! :)
    They're touring North America for the first time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I loved that song 'Road Rage'!

LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

There's always one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Someone gave me Viva Emptiness due to a mistake in getting the wrong Katatonia. Its a fantastic album.
    Awaiting the new album from Cd wow.
    I would love to see them live, here's hoping they come over here..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

John2 wrote:
    There's always one

Sorry, but it's best we get it out of the way early.

Advertisement