Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to access internet with phone and laptop

• 20-06-2006 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi, I recently bought Motorola Mobile Phone Tools to transfer MP3 ringtones and pictures and whatnot to my new Meteor L6 phone. I noticed when using it that there is an option to 'create and internet connection' Not realising this was possibly before, I got the settings from the thread here and tried playing about with them a bit.

Eventually, I got what looked like an internet connection by using 'GPRS Connection' then, 'wap.mymeteor.ie' as the APN, the user name and pass for that, and then dynamic IP address (if I specify 010.085.085.085 it won't make a connection, it gives me an error about PPP something or other) I also opened up the port mentioned in the settings, just in case. Problem is, the connection doesn't actually work. It will send but not receive any data. The phone is fine, I can get on WAP with it, and the reception is fine. Any ideas? It's a pay as you go meteor L6.

One thing I haven't done is ring meteor and asked them to switch on the ISP thingy (its technical name, I believe) Should I do this and try the ISP settings? Lastly, is there any other way to try and get on the internet with the phone and laptop (I like the idea now!) besides using MPT?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

I wont connect to the internet via the wap gateway you will need to get isp setting..Pure and simple!As for using motorola phone tools,i think they other programs for connecting to internet via phones,i will look and i'll get back to you!I use a mac and i dont need software to connect,it connects via bluetooth,can the pc do that anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭PonderStibbons

My god, this is more difficult than I expected. Has anyone out there actually managed to use their L6 phone as a modem using Mobile phone tools? I tried ringing meteor to activate meteor isp, which they did, and they also gave me some other settings, such as using extra initialisation commands in the modem properties? Has anyone else had to do this? I think the code they gave me was: at+cgdCONT=1,IP,ISP.METEOR.IE. Is this right? They also told me to use *99# as the dialling number. I'm getting really confused at this point, and I consider myself relatively technically minded! Nowhere on this forum does it mention anything about these extra initialisation commands, which leads me to believe I mightn't need to use it. What do you think?

Help! Please!

Oh, and lastly, would this be much, much simpler if I just get a bluetooth dongle for my laptop? (It's running Windows XP btw) If it's easier I'll just give up and do that. Do you need extra software to get the bluetooth/internet connections working? Sorry about all the questions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Havent done it with an L6, but used my V3x on Mobile Phone Tools without any problems but its VF of course, but I just open Mobile Phone Tools and click internet and thats it. Couldnt be simpler

The details they are giving to you is for if you are setting up a dial up connection on your PC

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭PonderStibbons

Hmmm, I tried setting up a regular dial up connection, not using Mobile Phone Tools (although this is still installed and working fine. Now I am getting a PPP control link initialisation failure? Does anyone know what this means? Would this be more likely to be my phone or the computer? Also, sometimes this doesn't come up and I get a hardware failure instead - Meteor mentioned something about this when I rang them first, and they said to "enter 'meteorisp' if I get this error. Obviously, this doesn't make much sense, I tried entering it into the username/password fields but this didn't help.

Thanks again!

Advertisement