Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl wireless problem

• 20-06-2006 2:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Lads. small problem ( i hope )

i currently have the 6mb Ntl package with the wireless router ( netgear wgr64f ) or something.

The problem im having is that the router has seemed to give my laptop only 3mb worth of bw for downloading, but ul i max out no problem at all. And yeah i know not alot of places i download from will give me the full 6mb speed. but hooking up my laptop directly ( cabeled ) to the router i can dl from ftp.heanet.ie at 1.24mB/s but wireless it struggles to hit 400k. So im guessing the problem is with the wireless router, Phoned ntl they have no idea, and have replaced the router. but to no avail.

Any idea how to sort this, as it effects me when playing games online, as my ping jumps from 20-30 to 50-80 with wireless.

Ta.

<3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I think it has to do with the speed of the wireless network, are you using a 54MB network or 128MB network, i've found using the 54MB one can interfere with online gaming and downloading!

P.S. - i would never recommend using a wireless connection for online gaming!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What wireless card are you using with the laptop or is it a centrino? And if it is a centrino have you upgraded your drivers recently?

How far away from the router are you using the laptop? It is inevitable that you will get speed loss once you use a wireless connection from any sort of distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

dub45 wrote:
    What wireless card are you using with the laptop or is it a centrino? And if it is a centrino have you upgraded your drivers recently?

How far away from the router are you using the laptop? It is inevitable that you will get speed loss once you use a wireless connection from any sort of distance.

well its a core duo, so its based on the centrino. have updated the drivers thanks to sony update doing it for me. atm im about 6m diagonaly away from the router with just floorboards seperating me from the router. I used to use wireless last year, and had no problems with speed loss at all.

i dont wanna run cable in the walls again. the gf will kill me. again :(

is there a quick fix ?

like setting up some sort of virtual thingy ma jiggamy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

Do a search here for it

It has already been discussed basically your rwin settings are not maximised limiting the ammount of data that your wireless connection can handle use DrTCP or someone else suggested some other tweaker I cant remember the name of.

will give it a go thanks shltter

• Advertisement

nothing at all. anybody got any other suggestions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

what did you do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 redbag

Download tweakmaster and run the wizard for optimising wireless connections.. I had exactly the same problem as you and that sorted it..

redbag wrote:
    Download tweakmaster and run the wizard for optimising wireless connections.. I had exactly the same problem as you and that sorted it..

will try it tomorrow. thanks :)

Advertisement