Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great anti atheist lyrics and spirituality question

• 20-06-2006 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭

As some around will know I am very a cock-sure atheist but I just love these lyrics.

They say that heaven is 10 zillion light years away
    And just the pure at heart will walk her righteous streets someday
    They say that heaven is 10 zillion light years away
    But if there is a God, we need Him now
    "Where is your God"
    That's what my friends ask me
    And I say it's taken Him so long
    'Cause we've got so far to come...

Tell me people
    Why can't they say that hate is 10 zillion light years away
    Why can't the light of good shine God's love in every soul
    Why must my color black make me a lesser man
    I thought this world was made for every man
    He loves us all, that's what my God tells me

But in my heart I can feel it, yeah,
    Feel His spirit wow oh woo...
    Feel it, yeah, feel His spirit...

I... can't say that heaven is 10 zillion light years away
    But if so let all be pure at heart
    Just to walk her righteous streets I pray
    Let God's love shine within to save our evil souls
    For those who don't believe will never see the light
    "Where is my God" - He lives inside of me
    No people, "where is your God?"
    Inside please let Him be

But if you open your heart you can feel it yeah yeah
    Feel His spirit, yeah
    Feel it, feel His spirit, wow oh wow...
    Feel it, you can feel His spirit
    I opened my heart one morning and
    I sho nuff could feel it yeah yeah
    Feel His spirit yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
    You can feel it, yeah, feel His spirit
    You can feel it, yeah, feel His spirit

My question is this, it's a little complex but bear with me.

Do you think that the spirituality of a religous person is just the end product of years of conditioning and study, that is to say something that they have learned as opposed to something which is innate within them?

And if you believe it's at least partially innate how would you show as a religous/non religous person that this inate feeling that you are convinced you have isn't just something that has been embedded into your consciosness from years of following such material.
    This is a metaphysical question about emotion and spirit, can they exist as pure innate entities or are they just learned like all our other conditions emotions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Woow, there horse, I'll need to take out my pipe, and put on my hat and jacket for this one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

anti atheist lyrics
    Hardly.

And afraid I don't have time just now to tackle your question of Life the Universe and Everything... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Hardly.

Hardly?I don't mean anti ateist in the snese that he's frocibly admonishing atheists, I mean in the sense that his purity and expression of love and understanding represent the most powerful ideas in religon and therefore a strong antidote to popular atheist thinking.
    And afraid I don't have time just now to tackle your question of Life the Universe and Everything... ;)

Well it's not a question of everything really, essentially what I am asking is
    "Are human feelings learned through conditioning, in particular those feelings which some equate as other wordly, spiritual etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

stevejazzx wrote:
    Do you think that the spirituality of a religous person is just the end product of years of conditioning and study, that is to say something that they have learned as opposed to something which is innate within them?
    This is covered in detail by Daniel Dennett's new book Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon. If you're really interested in this question then you should read this. While it doesn't have all (or it could be argued hardly any!) answers it's at least a great starting point.

As for the lyrics, I hope that they have some magical transformation when put to music, because I'm at a loss as to what's to 'love' about them, they seem childish, melodramatic and trite to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> a strong antidote to popular atheist thinking.

Where is this "popular atheist thinking"?

> his purity and expression of love and understanding represent
    > the most powerful ideas in religon

Er:
    Feel His spirit yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
    Am I missing something?

• Advertisement

pH wrote:
    This is covered in detail by Daniel Dennett's new book Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon. If you're really interested in this question then you should read this. While it doesn't have all (or it could be argued hardly any!) answers it's at least a great starting point.

Oh I've read many books on the topic, I will check that out though, cheers.
    pH wrote:
    As for the lyrics, I hope that they have some magical transformation when put to music, because I'm at a loss as to what's to 'love' about them, they seem childish, melodramatic and trite to me.

Yeah, well it's taken from the album

Fullfillinesses first finale, which is one of the greatest albums ever IMO.

Lyrics are obviously subjective and relative so i take your point, the text is somewhat basic, however the there are profoundly beautifully lines notably

"Where is your God"
    That's what my friends ask me
    'Cause we've got so far to come

This is the starting point of stevies idea in this song, that ignorant humans are not ready for the prutiy of all loving God, it seems to me a fairly accurate idea that if there was a god that indeed humans are a zillion miles away from him, at least if one equates religous doctrine and how increasing fundamentalism of various religons have distroted the beautiful message of harmony and peace that is preached almost universally.

Also

Tell me people
    Why can't they say that hate is 10 zillion light years away

This is one my favorite lines from any song. I wouldn't, like you have, class this as childish, but rather extremely mature. He is asking for people to question hate first and not God/Heaven. It may be idealistic but not childish.

BTW, yes the song makes a lot more sense and has a lot gravitas when put to music.

robindch wrote:
    > his purity and expression of love and understanding represent
    > the most powerful ideas in religon

Er:Am I missing something?

Yes, as it is a song, the written lyrics indicate various impromtu moments also, which can look pointless on paper but in their musical context are perfectly natrual. In terms of purity of expression I was referring to the lyrics insistance of feeling a spirit and denying hate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> in their musical context are perfectly natrual

Perhaps, but the words are still trite. Anyhow, that's not answering the question....

> He is asking for people to question hate first and not God/Heaven.

I can't disagree with encouraging people to question and understand why hatred occurs -- an excellent idea! Though I think he'd make more headway if here were to show how religion, far from producing that decency that it preaches, frequently produces the opposite -- so, rather than avoiding the question, I think he should face it and try to get people to question the ideas of religion/god/heaven/satan/life when one is dead/etc, etc, rather than just accepting the dead-end silliness of what the religions claim to tell them about these things.

robindch wrote:
    > in their musical context are perfectly natrual

Perhaps, but the words are still trite. Anyhow, that's not answering the question....

> He is asking for people to question hate first and not God/Heaven.

I can't disagree with encouraging people to question and understand why hatred occurs -- an excellent idea! Though I think he'd make more headway if here were to show how religion, far from producing that decency that it preaches, frequently produces the opposite -- so, rather than avoiding the question, I think he should face it and try to get people to question the ideas of religion/god/heaven/satan/life when one is dead/etc, etc, rather than just accepting the dead-end silliness of what the religions claim to tell them about these things.

I think trite is a bit strong, he is purposefully going for the simplistic approach
    and even with that imo the lyrics are strong,
    anyway I agree the music doesn't show how religon is flawed in the ways you describe but that song never set out to do that, it's primarily about people losing faith in god and his (stevie wonder) attempt at showing how he overcomes such things. My question out of all this, that noone has ventured an answer to yet is:

'Is spirituality learned through human experience and therfore just another contrived emotion, or is it something instinctive within us?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

stevejazzx wrote:

I reckon it's innate to the extent that language is innate, we all have a natural tendency to communicate verbally, but learned to the extent that the particular language we speak is learned.

That said, the question is more of a scientific one than a philosophical one, I'd say there is an absolute answer, but that's best left to the social scientists and psychologists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

stevejazzx wrote:
    'Is spirituality learned through human experience and therfore just another contrived emotion, or is it something instinctive within us?

Both (and you actually have that the wrong way around, an emotion is something instinctive within us).

"Spirituality" is an attempt for the human brain to make sense of things it doesn't understand within the context of things it does understand. There seems to be an inbuild need for humans to do this, is seems to just be the way our brain works things out, using examples we do understand to explain things we don't. Religion is a more advanced development of this.

I must say I agree with robindch, those lyrics are a bit wishy washy and trite. Also, as an atheist, I'm a bit sick of the idea that religion = peace and love and atheism = selfishness and hate. Religion doesn't have exclusive rights to the better sides of humanity. Quite the opposite in fact

Wicknight wrote:
    Both (and you actually have that the wrong way around, an emotion is something instinctive within us).

With regards to emotion, I never said that emotion couldn't be instinctive, I was asking if sprituality is a kind of contrived emotion.
    wicknight wrote:
    "Spirituality" is an attempt for the human brain to make sense of things it doesn't understand within the context of things it does understand. There seems to be an inbuild need for humans to do this, is seems to just be the way our brain works things out, using examples we do understand to explain things we don't. Religion is a more advanced development of this.

My view on spirituality is that it is an feeling that lives inside of a person and is representitve of that persons actions and beliefs, a spirit which gained it's own will so casues either harmony or imbalance in someone, the brain struggles with the spirit as i see it to control it's own creation. I believe in the spirit and the soul but as creations which can become complex and beautiful even.
    wicknight wrote:
    I must say I agree with robindch, those lyrics are a bit wishy washy and trite.

fair enough, i can see how they migth come across that way, the only thing i would say is that maybe listen to the song and you might an idea of what i mean.
    wicknight wrote:
    Also, as an atheist, I'm a bit sick of the idea that religion = peace and love and atheism = selfishness and hate. Religion doesn't have exclusive rights to the better sides of humanity. Quite the opposite in fact

I too diagree with the idea that
    "religion = peace and love and atheism = selfishness and hate"
    and if you read the thread it's something I don't say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Out from your palaces, princes and queens,
    Out from your churches, you clergy, you christs,
    I'll neither live nor die for your dreams.
    I'll make no subscription to your paradise.
    I'LL MAKE NO SUBSCRIPTION TO YOUR PARADISE....

Crass - Demoncrats (Stations of the Crass) 1979 (showing my age I know!)

Two great European narcotics,
    Alcohol and Christianity,
    I know which one I prefer

The Streets - "Never Went To Church" (The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living) 2006

Imagine there's no Heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace

John Lennon - Imagine

I'm the sum total of my ancestors
    I carry their DNA
    We are representatives of a long line of people
    And we cart them around everywhere
    This long line of people
    That goes back to the beginning of time
    And when we meet - they meet other lines of people
    And we say bring together the lines of me.

Faithless - My Culture

Any more ?

pH wrote:

Imagine there's no Heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace

John Lennon - Imagine

I'm the sum total of my ancestors
    I carry their DNA
    We are representatives of a long line of people
    And we cart them around everywhere
    This long line of people
    That goes back to the beginning of time
    And when we meet - they meet other lines of people
    And we say bring together the lines of me.

Faithless - My Culture

Any more ?

you forgot?
    "God is a concept by which we measure our pain"

John Lennon

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

pH wrote:
    Any more ?

A personal favourite

Dear God
    Hope you got the message, and
    I pray you can make it better down here
    I don't mean a big reduction in the price of beer
    But all the people that you made in your image
    See them starving on their feet
    'Cause they don't get enough to eat
    From God, I can't believe in you
    I can't believe in you
    Dear God
    Sorry to disturb you, but
    I feel that I should be heard loud and clear
    We all need a big reduction in amount of tears
    And all the people that you made in your image
    See them fighting in the street
    'Cause they can't make opinions meet about God
    I can't believe in you
    I can't believe

Did you make disease
    I can't believe
    And the diamond blue?
    I don't believe
    Did you make mankind after we made you?
    I can't believe
    And the devil too
    I don't believe
    I can't believe

Dear God
    Don't know if you noticed, but
    Your name is on a lot of quotes in this book
    And us crazy humans wrote it, you should take a look
    And all the people that you made in your image still believing that junk exist
    Well I know it ain't, and so do you
    Dear God
    I can't believe in
    I don't believe in
    I don't believe

I won't believe in heaven and hell
    No saints, no sinners, no devil as well
    No pearly gates, no thorny crown
    You're always letting us humans down
    The wars you bring, the babes you drown
    Those lost at sea and never found
    And it's the same the whole world 'round
    The hurt I see helps to compound
    That Father, Son and Holy Ghost
    Is just somebody's unholy hoax
    And if you're up there you'd perceive
    That my heart's here upon my sleeve
    If there's one thing I don't believe in

It's you

Tricky - Dear God (sung by Tricky & Costanza)

Although I disagree with one thing, we DO need a big reduction in the price of beer :)

*Edit* This is actually an XTC cover, but the Tricky version is the one I know.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Josh Ritter's Thin Blue Flame is a classic, probably not entirely athiest but shows how someone is coming to question his faith:

"I became a thin blue wire That held the world above the fire And so it was I saw behind Heaven¹s just a thin blue line If God¹s up there he¹s in a cold dark room The heavenly host are just the cold dark moons He bent down and made the world in seven days And ever since he¹s been a¹walking away Mixing with nitrogen in lonely holes Where neither seraphim or raindrops go I see an old man wandering the halls alone Only a full house gonna make a home

I became a thin blue stream
    The smoke between asleep and dreams
    And in that clear blue undertow
    I saw Royal City far below
    Borders soft with refugees
    Streets a¹swimming with amputees
    It¹s a Bible or a bullet they put over your heart
    It¹s getting harder and harder to tell them apart
    Days are nights and the nights are long
    Beating hearts blossom into walking bombs
    And those still looking in the clear blue sky for a sign
    Get missiles from so high they might as well be divine