Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Blackberry Vodafone

• 20-06-2006 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Morning, I have had a blackberry 7100v (vodafone)) for a year and wanted to upgrade.

i called vodafone and they said next week they launch a new blackberry 8700? anyone have any experience with these? any good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I think its a 3G 8700 called 8707V. Check out RIMarkable.com or BBhub.com for details.
    Same as the 8700 on O2 but with 3G capability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Surprised they arent launching the 8707v
    Typical Irish networks!
    Its the 3G version of the 8700 and VF Germany launched it recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

It is the 8707v they are launching.

I'm guessing they meant one from the 8700 series.

Personally I dont see the advantage of the 8707v over the 8700 series.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

They are also launching the 7130v as the 7100v is end-of-life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There launchiing the 7130v is delayed due to stock isses but is coming. 8707v is out, mine arives tomorrow. The advantage over the 8700? It is an 8700 with a 3G modem so one and the same really but the 3G modem means you dont have to buy a seperate 3G data card which is cool.

blackberry-8707v-3g-umts_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Does the blackberry service from Vodafone give you unlimited email AND internet access? I have an E61 and was thinking of switching from imap to the blackberry service.

They market it as unlimited but I gather they have a usage policy of 20 megs... grand for a lot of people. But I have heard of cases of them contacting people about their usage.

O2 on the other hand I gather have only contacted people who have seriously abused it by using it as a tethered modem and hooked it up to their laptop running up gprs usage in hundreds of megs.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Our corporate contract has a 3mb limit and is charged for after that. However we theoretically have an 'all you can eat" contract so the additional charges get refunded after the usual haggling.

Apologies I actually think I'm wrong and that the usage limit is less than 20 megs... though I have a feeling they may have increased it lately but 20 megs is the limit for some of their other business email packages.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Blackberry and GPRS charges show up seperatly on the bills. In theory the email limit is 3mb but none of our accounts have been charged for straight email and we use it a alot. GPRS on the other hand is charged whether its used off of a laptop using the BB to browse. You can buy bulk data if your using it alot and Voda also do an all you can eat 3G option which I hope to avail of off the 8707v (which just arived).

The 8707v is nice. Big update on the 7290, speaker phone, better and higer res screen and of course 3G support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

Man so confused, love the 7100v I have and wanna get a new blackberry but the 7130v looks to have no new real improvements? The 8707v looks nice but wanna stick with the phone versions rather than the bigger types.

The I see neither has wifi which I thought (in my own head!) they would but the e61 does!

Arghhg what to do?

I went through this decision a month or so ago. Bottom line is - The blackberry is an email device. it does this bit very well but thats all it does. Its no smartphone!

I needed a device that could make good voice calls, do email, browse the net and do wifi as well. I ended up getting the E61 and I don't regret my decision. I now have email (imap idle so almost "push email"), great web access, mp3 player, video playback, podcasting, ms office support, pdf reader, mobile search ....

I may go with the BB Connect but right now I can get 25mb of data for 15 euros a month and this gives me plenty of room. Imap idle works well for me so not sure if the blackberry connect will make all that difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 suz

elderlemon wrote:
    I went through this decision a month or so ago. Bottom line is - The blackberry is an email device. it does this bit very well but thats all it does. Its no smartphone!

I needed a device that could make good voice calls, do email, browse the net and do wifi as well. I ended up getting the E61 and I don't regret my decision. I now have email (imap idle so almost "push email"), great web access, mp3 player, video playback, podcasting, ms office support, pdf reader, mobile search ....

I may go with the BB Connect but right now I can get 25mb of data for 15 euros a month and this gives me plenty of room. Imap idle works well for me so not sure if the blackberry connect will make all that difference.
    Hi there, i've been consulting a couple of your posts on the E61 since am researching getting one.

Just wondering if you can tell me what network you are on (is it vodafone?) and what you have found of the plan and usage? I dont know much about how it works with regard to WiFi etc., I'd mainly be interested in using it for consulting info online and checking things like Gmail (if thats possible) and reading docs.

Thanks,
    Suzy

Suzy,
    I am on Vodafone and have a data plan which gives me 25mb for 12.99 a month (ex vat) or 15 ish with vat. I mainly use it for email and have imap and mail for exchange running - both are excellent. Imap is more efficient but has less features (can't sync contacts/calendar etc). Mail for exchange is good but use up about 60K per hour in idle mode (ie just checking for mail). You can set up a gmail account but I've never tried.

For internet access the browser is superb. I've never had such great browsing from a small device - this really works well. If you don't like the built in browser then you can install Opera which is also very good.

It has a MS office compatible suite - I have received word and excel attachments, edited them on the plane and sent them back when I landed. Also supports powerpoint.

Has a PDF reader, a nice podcasting app, media player and tons of other stuff. All in all a great phone.

Advertisement