Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powering laptop directly through battery connectors

Options
  • 20-06-2006 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 which has developed a common problem. The unit will not charge. Apparently this is almost impossible to fix so its buy a new mb or new laptop. I'm leaning towards the new laptop but as a quick fix would it be possible to remove the battery and connect an AC/DC adaptor directly to the laptop battery contacts and set it to the same voltage as the battery? Would this work?
    I can't see a reason why this wouldn't work. Obliously it would mean the laptop would have to be pluged in to work but thats better than just gathering dust.
    Am I missing something obvious?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

im confused. Why not just run it from mains from the "Traditional" power connector. Or is that that problem?

Failing that, if powering thru the battery contacts I would proceed with caution. You run the risk of damaging the lappie further and maybe even causing a fire in extreme cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

im confused. Why not just run it from mains from the "Traditional" power connector. Or is that that problem?

Failing that, if powering thru the battery contacts I would proceed with caution. You run the risk of damaging the lappie further and maybe even causing a fire in extreme cases.

i had this soup...the normal method of charging doesnt work..i tried swapping with a mate to charge them but its a complete load of kack to do..

u maybe able to get an external charger tho...did u check ebay?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

nantony98 wrote:
    I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 which has developed a common problem. The unit will not charge. Apparently this is almost impossible to fix so its buy a new mb or new laptop. I'm leaning towards the new laptop but as a quick fix would it be possible to remove the battery and connect an AC/DC adaptor directly to the laptop battery contacts and set it to the same voltage as the battery? Would this work?
    I can't see a reason why this wouldn't work. Obliously it would mean the laptop would have to be pluged in to work but thats better than just gathering dust.
    Am I missing something obvious?

The battery will charge off a different current to what it pumps out. The battery charger would likely blow something if you connected it directly to the terminals. the adapter is 20v but the battery is only 14.5

possibly something like this might fix it? or try getting a 14v adapter with 4 or 5 amps

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-5150-1150-D600-DC-POWER-SOCKET-JACK-CONNECTOR_W0QQitemZ6886583445QQcategoryZ31531QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-5150-5160-6000-8600-D800-D600-PA-10-LAPTOP-CHARGER_W0QQitemZ103001034228QQcategoryZ64466QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

had this soup...the normal method of charging doesnt work..i tried swapping with a mate to charge them but its a complete load of kack to do..

So just to clarify, even plugged into mains = laptop no workie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

I assume you mean your charging circuit is dead.

I see what you're getting at about the terminals. It would work. I have something similar in work here that i use to power equipment that takes camcorder like battery packs. I have a DC power supply hooked up to a dead battery which had been emptied (effectively its a neat way of connecting the power supply to the terminals). I set the voltage on the unit and it thinks it has a full battery all the time.

So if you took the cells out of the battery and wired the DC power supply onto the battery terminals it should work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭nantony98

To answer some posts.
    -I did look for external chargers but this was expensive enough and I would not be ideal becuase when the battery dies, no fun until its recharged.

-I did look at the jacks available on ebay but this is not the whole problem.

-The laptop wont switch on or charge when plugged in.

-RotalicaV is on the right track. Thats exactly what I was thinking of doing. Emptying the battery of its cells, connecting AC/DC adapter to the terminals, maybe even using the voltage stabiliser in the battery pack to give nice constant voltage. Hey presto, laptop becomes desktop computer.

Advertisement