Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Post-Amazon

• 20-06-2006 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

So where is everyone shopping online these days now that Amazon have stopped delivering over here?

I've been between Game.co.uk and cdwow for a lot of things but both are a rip off. I've also been buying a fair bit from pixmania, who are quite good except for the fact they like to ignore you completely should you need to contact them. I point blank refuse to buy from Play.com

And does anyone have any info on when the mighty Amazon will start serving us again. As much as I give out about them for their overpriced slow delivery I havent found anyone else except Apple who provides a better online store.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I've never shopped on amazon, it depends what I want really DVD's and Games = Play.com or CD wow, Electrical+Computer = ebuyer.com or 7dayshop.com or Ebay.co.uk or argos.co.uk

I don't think Amazon's store is great, and they're not that cheap in comparison to other online places.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Any particular reason for refusing to shop with play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JuncoPartner

Well as they were extremely cheap I thought Id give them a go a while back and bought a couple of things from them no problems.
    Then I order a 360.
    Next I receive an email from them telling me to phone their UK number to verify my credit card.
    Now that was pretty annoying. So I emailed them asking could they not phone me or could we not do this ever email as I didnt want to waste my money phoning the UK.
    The response to that was a simple "no" which annoyed me even more.
    So jumping up on my high horse I sent them another email asking them to disable my account and delete all the information they currently have stored about me, which is contact info and credit card info etc.
    To which they responded something like:
    "We regret that you have come to this decision. However in order for us to carry out the cesation of your account you will need to call us on _Insert UK Number Here_ etc etc"
    Now in fairness if it was someone else I would have had some laugh at that. The bare faced cheek of them.
    But seeing as it was me and how damn annoying it was I decided that that was that for me and play.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Since when have they stopped delivering? My brother got stuff from them the other day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I would like to know that too - I order from them from time to time - I did hear something about them not delivering pricey electrical goods due to the amount of fraud but as for cd's books games etc they should still be delivering same as ever.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately not...
    They have stopped delivering all electrical items here the dirty so and so's.
    Its because of some Irish-soon to be EU directive which I cant think of the name right now.
    Im sure someone knows it.
    But bsaically you know when you buy any electrical goods in a store here now there is an extra levy on it, which entitles you to give back your old used electrical items and the shop has to take them and dispose of them correctly.
    Its quite handy actually, I managed to offload an old fridgefreezer, dishwasher and washing machine on DID when the delivered my new dishwasher...
    Anyway all retail outlets MUST charge this levy now and accept your old electrical items now as far as I know. Tho there is a chance it only applies to delivered items, Im not that up on the ins and outs.
    Well amazon.co.uk were told they must do this now and they said well nuts to you and stopped delivering here.
    AFAIK tho its coming in EU wide so Im sure Amazon will have no choice but to do it everywhere and once again ship here.
    Some things like books still ship here. And some amazon market place sellers still ship here because they simply ignore it.
    But Amazon themselves wont. They wouldnt even send me a Jamie Oliver Flavour shaker!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

its not too feasible for this to apply to mail-order transactions. I mean if a consumer buys a large screen tv for example to replace a 32" CRT or a 50" rear projection how on earth can online company's compete if they have to charge for the collection and disposal of such a product?

Surely this legislation will exclude mail-order or at least international mail-order purchases?

Yep its pretty silly alright.
    But I suppose the thinking is well Amazon here are placing electronic goods into our homes and not providing a way to dispose them.
    If everyone else has a responsibilty to take back old items why should Amazon get a free ticket.
    It would create a situation in a few years where all the stores here are picking up old Amazon products at a cost to themselves while Amazon get off scot free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I have started to order games from www.videogamesplus.ca 3 day shipping from canada, cheap enough too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Actually is there any bookstore that does delivery for free. Play.com and cdwow have spoiled me, I just feel like it's a bad deal unless the delivery is free. It all adds up y'know.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Actually is there any bookstore that does delivery for free. Play.com and cdwow have spoiled me, I just feel like it's a bad deal unless the delivery is free. It all adds up y'know.
    eh. Play.com?

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/NAVMAIN/5-/RegionHome.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I am going blind, thx shiv.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, tis a pity that Amazon stopped shipping electrical items here. I think it's to do with the EMC's (Environmental Management Costs) aka PRF's that are added to electrical items sold in RoI.

Maybe they'll get it resolved, and then again, maybe they will think it's not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

No loss really - I've ordered a few times off them but delivery charges were too high, having to shop in sterling and then get the extra VAT added on - bah humbug. All the while looking at ads for free delivery to those in the UK.

Not worth the bother unless you can't find it elsewhere or it's dirt cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Popeleo wrote:
    No loss really - I've ordered a few times off them but delivery charges were too high, having to shop in sterling and then get the extra VAT added on - bah humbug. All the while looking at ads for free delivery to those in the UK.

Not worth the bother unless you can't find it elsewhere or it's dirt cheap.

Completely agree.

I would to order certain items from Amazon, but when the delivery charges and currency conversion is added on - its just not worth the hassle and it works out more expensive.

Play is the best for me at the mo (even beating cdwow), I just wish there was even more choice (on the books side anyway)

A little off topic - but anyone recommend books site's that ship free (especially for the hard back titles, delivery costs are huge!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

http://www.hughesbooks.com/default.asp

Free delivery on orders over €20, not a difficult sum to reach!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ga

ye can't beat chapters!

Advertisement