Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Final Group A & B Games today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Considering Crouch is already on a yellow card and Sven is trying to keep his best players, why on earth doesnt he bring on theo walcott. This would seem like the perfect opportunity to justify his selection.
    Now more than ever, he looks like hes nothing more than a waste of space in the squad. If someone like Defoe or Bent had been in the team, u can bet your arse they would have been brought in to replace Owen instead of risking Crouchinho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

For anyone with a bet....Paraguay are beating T&T 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Considering Crouch is already on a yellow card and Sven is trying to keep his best players, why on earth doesnt he bring on theo walcott. This would seem like the perfect opportunity to justify his selection.
    Now more than ever, he looks like hes nothing more than a waste of space in the squad. If someone like Defoe or Bent had been in the team, u can bet your arse they would have been brought in to replace Owen instead of risking Crouchinho

Well said. Good game so far, alot better than England's last two performances. They seem to be getting the ball out to J. Cole on the left alot.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

What a goal from Joe Cole. 1-0

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Fantastic goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Great goal. Very well taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

What A Feckin Goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Nice goal. Sweet strike. think Arsenal should buy him, seems to link up well Ashley Cole. Not bloody likely though.

***note above comment is said tongue in cheek.

Roddy23 wrote:
    Nice goal. Sweet strike. think Arsenal should buy him, seems to link up well Ashley Cole. Not bloody likely though.

Well not since he has just signed an extended contract with Chelsea for another 4 seasons.

• Advertisement

34 mins: GOAL Sweden 0-1 England
    Joe Cole scores a spectacular goal. The Chelsea man picks up the ball in space on the left hand side. He lets it bounce, takes aim, then smashes the ball in with his right foot from fully 35 yards. Truly stunning.

From the bbc

He's having a big impact on this game and, like I just said before, England are giving him alot of the ball (edit: I'm on about J. Cole here).

I can't understand why Eamo and the lads on RTE would drop Cole ahead of Gerrard/Lampard. He's a natural threat out wide who can be given the ball and run at players, as well as some great crosses.

Crouch should of buried that header earlier from the Cole cross, although he may he been off-balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Facinating.

Has anyone noticed how 80% of the play is avoiding the right wing and so Beckhams influence has been minimal?

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Best 45 mins this world cup for England. Hargreaves and Joe Cole have played very well.

mike65 wrote:
    Facinating.

Has anyone noticed how 80% of the play is avoiding the right wing and so Beckhams influence has been minimal?

Mike.

I've said that above myself in my posts about J. Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Impressed with Hargreaves - he's playing well.

Should stick on Walcott after the 60th in a 3 man attack maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Can i blame Carragher for that? Hes a good defender but doesnt get forward well and Sweden seem intent on stopping Beckham having time on the ball 2 on him everytime but J Cole the more dangerous of the 2 in terms of apce and skill is left alone :confused:

Coles playing very well but they have acres to run into, best England performance so far but Rooney seems to have faded looked a bit knackered towards end of half.

Who came on for Lampard :D

lol i did see him once or twice, Hargreaves just being on the pitch is allowing the team to gel more and actually play fluid football, but Sweden are again muck.

kdjac

Stuart Pearce, who for a long time I've thought is starting to lose the plot, says that cole's goal was the goal of the tournament, full stop. He must have missed the argentinia game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I've always thought that Becks' right wing game was completely evolved from his friendship with Gary Neville - they came through in the same teams at United together and the two would always interlink and force teams into corners, with both of them delivering crosses. When Becks went to Madrid, the midfield move was inevitable because he didn't have the same intricate knowledge of the right back's game. Same story here - Beckham had a poor World Cup last time when Gary Nev wasn't around, and in the last two games he hasn't been fantastic either.

What a goal by Joe Cole, though; if it was possible for the guy to have more confidence in the game he's definitely just gotten it. Anyone think we're watching his long overdue fanfare on the world stage as a top left winger?

KdjaC wrote:
    Can i blame Carragher for that? Hes a good defender but doesnt get forward well and Sweden seem intent on stopping Beckham having time on the ball 2 on him everytime but J Cole the more dangerous of the 2 in terms of apce and skill is left alone :confused:

kdjac

The played Jonsson (think that's his name) especially to mark Cole. Usually Wilhelmsson would play on the right wing for Sweden but they chose to play to a more defensive midfielder. Maybe that's why they aren't doubling up on Cole.

Carragher is playing out of position.

Good stuff. 1-1 Allback

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote:

Carragher is playing out of position.

No hes a defender and playing in defence, can play all accross the back four.

Wilhemsson coming on now for Jonsssssssson if anything that will bring lampard into the game more and force England to play tru the middle.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Aquos76 wrote:
    Good stuff. 1-1 Allback
    Exactly! That'll step things up a wee bit. But I still think England will do it.

Sweden just walloped the crossbar there from yet another corner

Larsson hit the bar as Sweden show up in the 2nd half.

kdjac

Great bit of pressure by Sweden now - about time too!

Rio limps off and Sol Campbell is on

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

any1 watchin the t&t and par game?
    just winderin if they deserve the lead and should they win the game going on their preformance??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

bazzman wrote:
    any1 watchin the t&t and par game?
    just winderin if they deserve the lead and should they win the game going on their preformance??
    Is it on TV? Prob BBC interactive?

Sweden yet again hit the crossbar from a corner

Is it on TV? Prob BBC interactive?

itv4 i think

• Advertisement

Sweden hit the crossbar - much better from Sweden this half.

i think its in itv4 or bbc3 not too sure though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I missed the start of the 2nd half, how come Ferdinand was taken off?

I am just wondering will we get to see Theo is this WC at all. Rooney is very quiet in this second half and is probably knackered.

PHB wrote:
    I missed the start of the 2nd half, how come Ferdinand was taken off?

Injured, limped off

****, did it look serious?

Gerrard coming on, wil he bring him on for Lampard, as he should to keep the shape, or bring him on for Hargreaves, whose been great.

Oh, Rooney comes off, they go to a 4-5-1

Aquos76 wrote:
    I am just wondering will we get to see Theo is this WC at all. Rooney is very quiet in this second half and is probably knackered.
    It might be an idea to save Rooney a bit given Owens injury earlier. Just as I type they take him off................for Gerrard.

Rooney did look tired, draw so.

kdjac

Well that substitution has just answered my question Gerrard on for Rooney. Really what was the point in taking Theo Walcott to the WC

• Advertisement

Ah ffs England cannot handle these corners from Sweden. Gerrard has just cleared another off the line.

off the line by gerrard!!!!!!!!!1

Yellow for Hargreaves - deliberate handball - more defending for England

The Trinidad game is fierce entertaining.

Anyone else think Hargreaves is putting himself into the shop window of DMC's for United and Arsenal?

PHB wrote:
    Anyone else think Hargreaves is putting himself into the shop window of DMC's for United and Arsenal?

He may as well be auditioning for X Factor.

Watching this Trinidad Game reminds me of something....I find myself shouting..."Bring Rudy on!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Gerrard header, 2-1 England.

Gerrard Goal 2-1: Header

Joe Cole England's MOM today without a doubt, without him England woulda lost.

England are a very very weird side.

KdjaC wrote:
    No hes a defender and playing in defence, can play all accross the back four.

Wilhemsson coming on now for Jonsssssssson if anything that will bring lampard into the game more and force England to play tru the middle.

kdjac

He's played centre back all season though. Can't be easy to adjust to playing right back just like that. Usually he wouldn't have to worry about getting forward.

EQUALIZER!! Larrson

• Advertisement
Advertisement