Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lcvp?

Options
  • 20-06-2006 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hey all, I was wandering around the LCVP site and I came across this,

Programme Requirements for students taking Leaving Certificate Examination from 2004 onwards

* At least five Leaving Certificate subjects, one of which must be Irish
    * Two of the above subjects must be selected from one of the designated Vocational Subject Groupings
    * Two Link Modules: Preparation for the World of Work and Enterprise Education
    * A recognized course in a Modern European Language other than Irish or English

I've done the exam and the portfolio, but the last line in that says "Modern European Language", I didnt actally do one for the LC. Anyone got any ideas how this leaves me?, will my LVCP actually count for any points?

- idgeitman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Most of my LCVP class don't have a 3rd language either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

There is a few in my class, all they did was Irish & English, no french/spanish or anything, so it's gonna leave a few people fairly f**ked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

its worth a maximum of 70 pts. its getting abolished in the next few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

i shouldnt have done it. Waste of time.

its worth a maximum of 70 pts. its getting abolished in the next few years
    Could you back that up, or are you just talking out of your arse?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

why should they get rid of it exactly...?
    what the hell is wrong with 70points?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 joema

Raphael wrote:

No thats right - the max you can get is 70, you can also get 30 or 50 pts - you cant get in between those values.

I think its good, I did two pass subjects this year so have to count my pass irish in my points, if I qualified for lcvp I could count that instead - I'll probobly get 40/45 pts from irish but could have got more with lcvp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

At least five Leaving Certificate subjects, one of which must be Irish

I didn't do LCVP, but I wasn't aware of this. One of my friends did LCVP specifically because he was exempt from Irish. Is that definitely right? If so, lol.

Its quite difficult to get the 70. Most people get 50 and thats pretty much useless to me. too much work went into it..days off school etc. and typing up reports.

joema wrote:
    No thats right - the max you can get is 70, you can also get 30 or 50 pts - you cant get in between those values.

I think its good, I did two pass subjects this year so have to count my pass irish in my points, if I qualified for lcvp I could count that instead - I'll probobly get 40/45 pts from irish but could have got more with lcvp
    I meant it getting abolished. I'm well awaare it;s max 70 points

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭goodgod3rd

im counting on a 70 for a safty net.... those in my year did a seperate test, not the full french but some .. carrere teacher pretend thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

What exactly is LCVP, I've heard people going about it before but I actually have no idea about what the hell it is. Is it like LCA or what?

CoolCiaran wrote:
    What exactly is LCVP, I've heard people going about it before but I actually have no idea about what the hell it is. Is it like LCA or what?

LCVP is like an extra subject. It consists mainly of coursework in which you carry out activities, visit enterprises etc, and writ up documents on each thing. You can do work experience, a CV etc. All this is included in your portfolio.
    Then you do a written exam (it was at start of May), consisting of mainly Business type stuff, entrepreneurs, setting up your own business etc.

The whole idea is that it prepares you for world of work.

There are only three grades you can get:
    Pass 30pts
    Merit 50pts
    Distinction 70pts

Its recognised now by most colleges but is still a waste of time imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

How is it a waste of time?

It requires no effort except some little time. Unless you can't type or are just stupid, I can't see why anyone would have ANY difficulty with this.

It's a safety net for me with physics. Doubt I'll get 70 points (what grade exactly is that equal to?) in physics so I have this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

70 points (what grade exactly is that equal to?)

C1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭toffeeman

I've checked this out with the Department of Education and they say the language requirement doesn't have to be to Leaving Cert level, as long as your school gives you a (recognised) language course - can be through an outside body or even to Junior Cert level.

It's up to schools what format this takes but by the sounds of things alot of schools are ignoring this requirement but anyone that did lcvp without a language needn't worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

good stuff, thanks alot for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭toffeeman

hey, would anyone whose school doesn't require lcvp students to take a language course mind sending a pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Raphael wrote:

well i read in the indo in 2005 that the lcvp course will be abolished. i am guessing this is when the leaving cert cert is being renamed the "senior cert". this was planned by noel dempsey so maybe hanafin will not implement these. and btw, i never talk through my arse:mad:

Advertisement