Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog licenses.

Options
  • 20-06-2006 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Someone told me recently that a pet dog does not need a license if he is a house pet, and not roaming the streets unchecked. Is this true or do all dogs need licenses?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

In order to obtain a dog licence, you must be over 16 years of age. It is an offence for you to keep a dog unless you have a licence. All dogs over four months must have a licence. Puppies under four months who are still with their mothers don't require licences but once they leave their mothers they must have a licence. Your dog must be accompanied by and be under your effective control or the control of another responsible person if it is outside your home or premises or the home or premises of the person in charge of it. You can be requested by a dog warden to produce evidence of your dog licence and failure to do so can result in an on-the-spot fine. Failure to pay this fine within a specified period can result in prosecution by your local authority. Licences are not required for dogs in the possession of the County Council, the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Gardai, blind persons' guide-dogs, and any dog imported into the State for less than 30 days.

Dog licences are issued by your post office or your local authority. The revenue from dog licences finances the operation of dog control services in local areas throughout the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

Nice one jhegarty, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's hilarious what that person told you, funny how us Irish make up our own rules about things sometimes :D
    All dogs need a licence from a lap dog to a working dog. Never had anyone come to check if we had a licence for ours but it's better to be safe than sorry if you have more than a certain amount (think it's 5 or over not sure though) I think you have to apply for a kennel licence or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Q.1 What must I do if I want to keep a dog?

According to Section 2 of the 1986 Act as amended by Section 2 of the 1992 Act "it is unlawful to keep a dog without either:-

I) a dog licence for that dog, or a general dog licence relating to the premises where the dog is kept.

You cannot therefore take possession of a dog unless you hold a licence for that particular dog or you have a general licence. (Section(a))

Q.2 What is a general licence?

This is a licence which is issued by the Local Authority and has scope to cover all dogs kept by the licence holder in the premises specified in the licence (only one premises may be specified)(Section 3(2)).

Note: It is presumed that the occupier of the premises wherein the dog is found is the owner or keeper of the dog, Section 2(3). This presumption may be rebutted if it can be shown that the dog was on the premises without his knowledge, that he was not the owner, or that the licenced owner of the dog was keeping it on his premises.

Q.3 What must I do if I am transferring possession of a dog from myself to another person?

You are required by Section 2(3) of the 1986 Act to ensure that the person is in possession of a general or specific dog licence.

Section 6 provides that a licence may be transferred to the person to whom possession of the dog is being transferred.

Q.4 How do I get a licence for a dog?

The Local Authority has the authority to issue a licence

Q.5 Are there any conditions attached to obtaining a licence?

According to Section 4 of the 1986 Act a licence may not be issued to a person under the age of sixteen years or to a person disqualified from holding a licence under Section 18 of the 1986 Act.

Section 18 (1) of the Control of Dogs Act, 1986, states that:-

"Any person who is convicted under the Protection of Animals Acts 1911 - 1965, of the offence of cruelty to a dog may in addition to any penalty imposed under the Acts, be disqualified from keeping a dog for such period as the Court thinks fit."

Q.6 Are there any exemptions from holding a licence?

Yes, there are a number of exemptions from the necessity to hold a licence and these are contained in Section 5 of the 1986 Act. This section provides that

"A licence shall not be required in respect of any dog-
    whilst such dog is in the possession of the local authority;
    whilst such dog is in the possession of the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals or any other person with whom a local authority has entered into an arrangement pursuant to Section 15 of the Act;
    which is kept by the Garda Siochána and wholly used by a member of the Garda Siochána in the execution of his duty;
    which is kept and wholly or mainly used for the purpose of guidance by a blind person whose eyesight is so defective that he is unable to find his way about without guidance;
    which is under the age of four months and is kept with its dam or foster-mother;
    whilst such dog is in the possession of the inspector (within the meaning of the Disease of Animals Act, 1966) or other officer of the Minister for Agriculture, or a member of the Garda Siochána, for the purposes of the Act;
    which is imported into the State for a period not exceeding thirty days;
    which is a greyhound and is purchased for export and which is exported from the State within thirty days after the date of purchase;
    which is kept by such other class of person as may be prescribed by the Minister.

Q.7 For what time period do dog licences last?

Section 7 provides that the licence shall be valid for 12 months from the date of issue or (as inserted by Section 3 of the 1992 Act) "for any longer period standing prescribed for the time being". After this time you must make an application to renew the licence.

Q.8 What are the penalties for the failure to hold a valid licence for a dog?

Such a person shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable "to a fine not exceeding £1000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months or both", Section 27 of the 1986 Act as substituted by Section 9 of the 1992 Act.

Advertisement