Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Geoff Hurst Yahoo FF team

• 20-06-2006 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Quote: “The current England team is perhaps the strongest team we have had for a number of years and obviously it would have been nice to have included more players from their squad but the rules of the game state that I can only pick a maximum of three,” Hurst explains"

Have a look at his team now and count his england players....

http://en.fifaworldcup.fantasysports.yahoo.com/ff/175690

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

:D

...and he's gone for the old reliable 3-3-3 formation. Why are they're only 10 players in the team? Is this the way the game is set up or has he neglected to pick an 11th man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

whats the craic wit the bench below it? that his subs? maybe they'll automatiucally replace the missing man with the best sub? like maybe he doesnt care who the sub is as long as he has his core 10 players? im just guessin btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Doesn't seem too with it TBH, he's just said on Sky Sports News that he can't understand why the England and Germany games today aren't on at the same time in response to a question about England knowing who they'll face in the 2nd round (depending on their own result) before they go out tonight.

Different groups Geoff, different groups...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Doesn't seem too with it TBH, he's just said on Sky Sports News that he can't understand why the England and Germany games today aren't on at the same time in response to a question about England knowing who they'll face in the 2nd round (depending on their own result) before they go out tonight.

Different groups Geoff, different groups...

I don't think he has 'lost it' or whatever. Hurst has a valid point there.

Different groups is of course "why" but what I reckon he is saying that it would be fairer if Group A and B kicked-off and finished at the same time today.

After all there is nothing to stop A and B being played similtanously order than that the TV people wouldn't like it.

Pigman II wrote:

After all there is nothing to stop A and B being played similtanously order than that the TV people wouldn't like it.

And a couple of years of planning.

We knew when the draw was done what time the games would all be at. If the interests of fairness were to be served, it might be better for teams to play to win...

• Advertisement

And a couple of years of planning.
    Why do you say that? Do you think Hurst was talking about changing it 3 days ago or 5 minutes before kick-off or something? Any change of this nature would of course have to be done during the planning stage.

If the interests of fairness were to be served, it might be better for teams to play to win...

I think a team should take any (legal & reasonable) advantage presented to them. If the powers that be don't agree then change the format.

Pigman II wrote:
    Why do you say that? Do you think Hurst was talking about changing it 3 days ago or 5 minutes before kick-off or something? Any change of this nature would of course have to be done during the planning stage.

You raised a good point yesterday...
    Pigman II wrote:
    I think Budweiser payed FIFA somewhere between €40m and €80m to be offficial beer of the WC. If they don't want Heinekin hats inside the ground then that's fair enough imho and tough luck for the wearers.

The same could be said for the TV companies who've paid good money for TV rights, aren't they entitled to a say in how many games they get to show?
    Pigman II wrote:
    I think a team should take any (legal & reasonable) advantage presented to them. If the powers that be don't agree then change the format.

Play to win, Fifa warn England
    But just in case Eriksson and his players were considering such a controversial approach, Fifa last night reminded them that it is against their rules of fair play to throw a game deliberately.

Section two of Fifa's Fair Play Code, to which all teams competing at the World Cup must sign up, states: "Winning is the object of playing any game. Never set out to lose. If you do not play to win, you are cheating your opponents, deceiving those who are watching, and also fooling yourself. Play to win, until the final whistle."

Fifa admitted that it would be difficult to prove a case where a team deliberately lost a game to avoid playing a particular opponent in the second round, but they said they would be obliged to investigate if there were any suspicions.

I agree that money is #1 in the world cup. I am just making the point (and I believe it is also the point that Hurst was making) that there is nothing (logistically at least) to stop pairs of groups concluding at exact same time.

Regarding playing to lose FIFA for all their blowing won't do a thing either no matter what England do except wait to hear the complaints roll in and then change the lay of the land for the next tournament.

Sweden have already (imho) played an "engineered" result (against Denmark back in Euro 2004) so I wouldn't be surprised whatever happens tonight. I'm sure they'd take the win if it guarenteed them not finishing behind Trinidad.
    It's all probably academic now anyway as Germany have won the group so unless both or either of England/Swden actually want to play the hosts instead of Ecuador then there will be no match-throwing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

that match finished 2 -2 Pigman II !! Did you even watch the game? Both sides had chances at 2 - 2, it certainly didn't look rigged.

vorbis wrote:
    that match finished 2 -2 Pigman II !! Did you even watch the game? Both sides had chances at 2 - 2, it certainly didn't look rigged.

Yes I watched the game and I remember coming away from it feeling it was a fix (not necessarily one agreed upon prior to the match but at the very least one forged on the pitch in unspoken terms).

Just cos wasn't in the same league as that WGermany 0-1 Austria from 82 doesn't mean it wasn't have been an 'amicable' performance by both teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

The_B_Man wrote:
    whats the craic wit the bench below it? that his subs? maybe they'll automatiucally replace the missing man with the best sub? like maybe he doesnt care who the sub is as long as he has his core 10 players? im just guessin btw!
    The yahoo one works different to the prem league one.

you pick 23 players. not restricted to how many strikers, midfielders, defenders, goalkeepers, just 23. Only 3 from each squad though.

you can change your starting 11 every day and you pick a capt daily.

Only the active players in your starting 11 get points for that day if they play.

The thing I was pointing out was that Geoff was emphasising that he'd like to have picked more than the allotted 3 players from each squad, but he has 4 England players in his 23. Maybe he got special privilidges being Sir Geoff???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I wish Geoff Hurst would go away. If him and Pelé fell in a well or something, I can't say I'd be upset.

Advertisement