Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decathlon road bike as entry level

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

no personal experience as such of decathlon road bikes.

however their mountain bikes that i've seen have been good, they get good reviews in mtb mags, and for general sports gear they are great value.

i'd take a chance on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

I think Ag2R (Mark Scanlon's team) ride decathlon bikes - though I believe the bicycle branch of the business has been re-branded as "b'Twin" or something like that recently.

I'd say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I noticed in the blurb for the bike description it mentions something like "shorter frame for more comfortable riding".

I'm not familiar with road bikes geometry, but I take this this to mean that it's basically a more upright, less aero position, common to entry-level bikes. Is this a deal-breaker? I want to buy a road bike because I want something fast - are we talking fractions here, or is this a significant problem?

On my MTB I just flipped the stem and removed spacers, significantly lowered position for more aero.

Side note: coming through Chartes on my tour in '04 we met one of the guys from Ag2R: a more unfriendly fellow cyclist we never met.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Trojan wrote:
    I noticed in the blurb for the bike description it mentions something like "shorter frame for more comfortable riding".

I'm not familiar with road bikes geometry, but I take this this to mean that it's basically a more upright, less aero position, common to entry-level bikes. Is this a deal-breaker? I want to buy a road bike because I want something fast - are we talking fractions here, or is this a significant problem?
    Yes, I suspect that is what it means. However even so it is still going to be significantly faster than your mountain bike; the drops will give you a more aero position again and you will have higher gear ratios. You can also lengthen the stem if you find yourself too upright, or as you get more used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Trojan wrote:
    I'm interested in getting an entry level road bike. Trek 1000, etc. I'm a big fan of Decathlon (a French sports superstore) - I get all my sailing gear, camping stuff and cycling accessories whenever I'm in France.

So has anyone experience of Decathlon road bikes? Particularly the Sport 2 and Sport 3 models?

http://www.decathlon.fr/FR/Product_arborescence/Bikes_and_rolle/Bikes/Roadbikes/Road_racing_bik/index.html?idssrayon=3

Cheers,
    Al.

I was in France a few weeks ago, in decathlon, and was looking at a Sport 2 for my son - seems like a good bike - Alu frame, hi-tens steel forks, seems like good mechs there too - Shimano drivetrain mechs but can't remember which model. These do change around a bit apparently so best establish what you're getting - you'll note they're not specced on the website - for that very reason probably... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the decathlon bikes get excellent reviews in the cycling press. see come good ones in cycling plus recently, they have stores in england too and are getting big over there..

Advertisement