Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.NET and SQL server on shared hosting

Options
  • 20-06-2006 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am wondering if i could make a .net website with a SQL server backend if i dont actually own a SQL server. I mean could i buy some hosting off a well known Irish company (cough) and use their SQL server to host all the information i need.

I know this is easy to do with MySQL and PHP but im not too familiar with asp.net and SQL Server.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Most of the Irish hosting companies offer asp.net 2.0 support and MS SQL server

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

thanks for the reply. Exactly how does a customer access their database and stored procedures etc ? it there a web interface ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

That would depend on the hosting provider in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Most provide a control panel when your going the virtual host route.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

and would i have access to
    • enterprise manager
    • query analyser
    • sql profiler

Thanks for all the help

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

grahamor wrote:
    and would i have access to
    • enterprise manager
    • query analyser
    • sql profiler
    Thanks for all the help

I have 2 sites on 2 different hosters and with both I can register the sql server in enterprise manager or management studio express to use the most up to date version. You can run querys easily from that of course. Not sure about sql profiler. As it's not local it's slower obviously.

Advertisement